Florida Outside Mixing Station

nept2n

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know that there are many threads here regarding mixing stations, but I’ve only run across a few that were setup on the outside. I live in South Florida and temperatures here are for the most part warm to hot.

I originally designed a portable mixing station which allowed me to store it outside but then roll it in the house when I was read to do a water change. The portable measures 48x 24 and was only inside Friday night – Sunday noon. Unfortunately, my better half decided that she didn’t want in the house anymore.

This presented a problem as I didn’t want to have to lug buckets for water changes. My laundry room (which is tiny) sits on the other side of the wall where my tank is setup and the location of the RODI is setup.

Here is my current tank and location

Current location 2.jpg

I measured the distance from my tank to the outside wall. It was only 6 feet which gave me the idea to set up my mixing station outside the house and then plumb the lines to and from the outside to the inside. When I told my wife this idea, she went for it.

So, I started. Here is what I did so far.

4 holes – 1 for electric- 1 for RODI – 1 for supply to the Tank and 1 for the return (wastewater)

Cores.jpg

Any recommendations or additional holes I might need?

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know that there are many threads here regarding mixing stations, but I’ve only run across a few that were setup on the outside. I live in South Florida and temperatures here are for the most part warm to hot.

I originally designed a portable mixing station which allowed me to store it outside but then roll it in the house when I was read to do a water change. The portable measures 48x 24 and was only inside Friday night – Sunday noon. Unfortunately, my better half decided that she didn’t want in the house anymore.

This presented a problem as I didn’t want to have to lug buckets for water changes. My laundry room (which is tiny) sits on the other side of the wall where my tank is setup and the location of the RODI is setup.

Here is my current tank and location

Current location 2.jpg

I measured the distance from my tank to the outside wall. It was only 6 feet which gave me the idea to set up my mixing station outside the house and then plumb the lines to and from the outside to the inside. When I told my wife this idea, she went for it.

So, I started. Here is what I did so far.

4 holes – 1 for electric- 1 for RODI – 1 for supply to the Tank and 1 for the return (wastewater)

Cores.jpg

Any recommendations or additional holes I might need?
Looks good! I just had to use one large hole as my walls are 8" thick filled cinder blocks.

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hold up.... is that a POWER caulk gun?!! What the heck? I did not know such a thing exists. Oh.... my grip is not what it used to be. Does the ease of use compensate for the extra weight of the battery? Inquiring minds need to know these things.
Cool set up BTW

vtecintegra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd think that water is going to get way too hot. I have a mixing container in the garage, and in the summer it gets up near 90F. I wouldn't be surprised if water in the black container gets to 120F.

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd think that water is going to get way too hot. I have a mixing container in the garage, and in the summer it gets up near 90F. I wouldn't be surprised if water in the black container gets to 120F.
Very true.... I have never run a heater on my tank. My sump has been in my Fl garage and the summer temp stays close to 80. Maybe there is an inline chiller? I was thinking last night that it may turn green inside the mixing station.

kjbrooks71

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hold up.... is that a POWER caulk gun?!! What the heck? I did not know such a thing exists. Oh.... my grip is not what it used to be. Does the ease of use compensate for the extra weight of the battery? Inquiring minds need to know these things.
Cool set up BTW
I have a Milwaukee cordless caulk gun, it is the bomb. It took me a few minutes to get used to but I don't think I would go back.

OP
OP
nept2n

nept2n

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool set up BTW
Yes that is a power caulk gun. You can use smaller batteries makes it lighter. I love this caulk gun you can set the rate that comes out and it's anti drip. awesome tool.

OP
OP
nept2n

nept2n

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good point. I haven't installed a heater for mixing. How do you cool down the water in your mixing container in the garage?

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yikes... just saw you are in Miami! That is way hotter than @vtecintegra or myself. I think you may be looking at a chiller or at a minimum creating a shade canopy for that mixing station.

vtecintegra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two ways. Small water changes in quarantine and frag tanks, I'll fill buckets and bring them in the house. Wait and check temp until it's good. Usually about 2 hours. For bigger changes on the main tank, I bring the water change container (25 g) in the house next to the tank (empty). Fill, mix, and change. Usually fill just before bed, let it mix over night, change in morning. I'm in Tampa so it's not quite as hot all year, so half of the year the garage is below 80F.
Good point. I haven't installed a heater for mixing. How do you cool down the water in your mixing container in the garage?

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two ways. Small water changes in quarantine and frag tanks, I'll fill buckets and bring them in the house. Wait and check temp until it's good. Usually about 2 hours. For bigger changes on the main tank, I bring the water change container (25 g) in the house next to the tank (empty). Fill, mix, and change. Usually fill just before bed, let it mix over night, change in morning. I'm in Tampa so it's not quite as hot all year, so half of the year the garage is below 80F.
Same

MasterChief

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live just north of Orlando and have my mixing station outside. I have a sediment filter and a chiller (1/10HP) inline. I also plumbed everything through (4) x 1/2" 3 way valves from US Plastics that allows me to pump to/from anything... i.e. from to tank/salt/waste/recirc etc. I am using a cheap harbor freight positive displacement pump to overcome the suction required via the mess of piping. So far works like a champ! the chiller cools 30 gallons of water from 90 to 77 in about an hour. Time enough to get my salinity and alk right before the water change. I go to/from the tank using a python fit into the system. So far works like a champ!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 26 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back