Flow for 4ft tank (100 gal)

chemicals

Organic Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, as of recent I bought a Waterbox Reef 130.4 and I’m looking into some flow options. I’m currently looking at a mp40, nero 5 and a gyre of some sort. I’ll be buying only one and will be adding another one in the future. Does anyone have any experience with one of these (or more) and would like to give some opinions. The tank wil be soft and lps only at the start and later on I will be adding some sps.

Thank you :)

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use MP 40s. They are great pumps. They do cost but I like them, At full blast, they put out 4500 gph. Which is 45 fold in your tank. I don’t run mine at full tilt because they get a bit hot. I figure that being hot is not good for them so I back them off a bit. You can run them on any number of variable routines which is really nice like fast pulse, slow pulse, and so on.

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got the Frag 105.4 that's all LPS and zoas. I use a pair of Icecap Gyre 2ks. They really move water and are pretty easy to clean. I've currently got them running at about 25% power. The tank is 16" deep and they give great flow down the tank. The app is a little strange to use at first but once you get them set you're good. I have them set for anti-sync. Here's a quick video of my goni / alve's so you can get an idea of the flow. With these you can purchase just one then add a second later and use it on the same controller.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MP40 will be fine for a 4' tank. I have used them on 5' tanks.

OP
OP
chemicals

chemicals

Organic Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got the Frag 105.4 that's all LPS and zoas. I use a pair of Icecap Gyre 2ks. They really move water and are pretty easy to clean. I've currently got them running at about 25% power. The tank is 16" deep and they give great flow down the tank. The app is a little strange to use at first but once you get them set you're good. I have them set for anti-sync. Here's a quick video of my goni / alve's so you can get an idea of the flow. With these you can purchase just one then add a second later and use it on the same controller.

Wow i literally watched your video yesterday when looking at frag 105 builds :O. Really nice tank!

Mos

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, as of recent I bought a Waterbox Reef 130.4 and I’m looking into some flow options. I’m currently looking at a mp40, nero 5 and a gyre of some sort. I’ll be buying only one and will be adding another one in the future. Does anyone have any experience with one of these (or more) and would like to give some opinions. The tank wil be soft and lps only at the start and later on I will be adding some sps.

Thank you :)
I also have a WB 130.4. I am actually considering 2 maxspect jump gyres, 1 on each side of the weir and potentially 2 power heads (on the back wall too) trying to keep the sides of the tank clear.

As for what power heads I'm still debating the MP40s tbh, they are chunky and you can't tilt the direction of the flow and at that price you'd expect them to sing and dance lol, still amazing pieces of equipment. I will probably end up getting them but only once my tank is mature and I start stocking it with SPS.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have bought a lot of pumps, Tunze, Maxspect gyres, Jebaos, Rossmont and others.
The cheapest thing I could have done was just buy the Vortechs in the first place.
I am running 4 MP 60s on my 240
2 MP40s an my 75 and an MP10 in the fuge
now.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.2%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.4%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 31 18.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 69 41.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back