Flow for SPS - what's just enough?

wdavid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see a ton of people saying they have like 4 mp10s or like 2 mp40s and gyres in their 90g tanks and I'm sitting here with 2 mp10s on my 75g. Also my vectra m1 is set to 75%. So I figured I'll upgrade flow as well if necessary since I'm upgrading lights as well to keep sps better. Just as a background I couldn't keep many SPS before and I attributed it to lighting but I kinda figured I'll upgrade everything that might need to be upgraded.

What do you guys think? 1 more mp10? 2 more? Gyre? WAV? A ton of cheap power heads on an on-off cycle? Im trying to find a good balance of enough flow vs money spent.

Or is what I have "good enough"? I feel like most people will say no to this one because I see people have like 100x turnover and still add more pumps but why not ask.

And as a note I do have a bunch of euphyllia and softies still, not sure if suddenly increasing flow a bunch will impact then negatively?

Potatohead

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it a four foot 75? If so I would probably put a gyre in it. If it's more cubey than probably an MP40.

FWIW my tank is 32x24x20 and I have four MP10's in there. It's not difficult to set the pumps up to have lots of flow in the top half and average flow in the bottom.

OP
OP
W

wdavid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it a four foot 75? If so I would probably put a gyre in it. If it's more cubey than probably an MP40.

FWIW my tank is 32x24x20 and I have four MP10's in there
Yeah it's a 48".

The maxpect gyre xf230? Or the 3k ice cap?

Camaro Show Corals

Formally known as The Camaro Show
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’d do 2 mp10s snd put them on the back wall do you have 2 on the back and 2 on the sides and put one on the top side for more surface and on the other side put one on the bottom

OP
OP
W

wdavid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d do 2 mp10s snd put them on the back wall do you have 2 on the back and 2 on the sides and put one on the top side for more surface and on the other side put one on the bottom
Can't do back class with mp10s. I have a reefer 350 which is 1/2" in front and back so I need to get a MP40 in the back if I do back. So my mp10s are on the side glasses on opposite sides. And in sync mode if that matters

Potatohead

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tough call. If you go Maxspect I would spend the few extra bucks and get the XF250. It's physically larger and you won't have to run it as hard making it last longer and be quieter.

I would put the gyre high on one end and the MP10's side by side on the other side about mid level (1/3 of the way down or so) to add some turbulence.

OP
OP
W

wdavid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tough call. If you go Maxspect I would spend the few extra bucks and get the XF250. It's physically larger and you won't have to run it as hard making it last longer and be quieter.

I would put the gyre high on one end and the MP10's side by side on the other side about mid level to add some turbulence.
Thanks for the recommendation.

But geez that's a lot of flow. Not including the return that's going from 3000gph roughly to max 8300? I'll see if I can find a used one for sale or trade first but I think I may stick with icecap for now.

Would 6000gph be a good target point for now or should I aim higher?

Potatohead

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well you have to remember it's not running 100% all the time. So even if it flows 5300 at 100%, it's only there like 10% of the time assuming you are using a random mode. Then, it gets dirty and cuts another 10% off. Then you find you can only run it at 80% anyway otherwise sand storm, or whatever. You can always turn them down.

OP
OP
W

wdavid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright so I guess I'm gonna just do what everyone on here basically says and just add a ton of flow.

Has anyone used the WAV? I have an apex so I figured I might as well do the research at least

Potatohead

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have an Apex and never used the WAV but I do see a big thread here about problems after a year or so, maybe that has been resolved.

Another option is a used MP40 if money is a concern, if won't push as much water as the gyre but you could set them up the same way. The only real reason I have four MP's is because they are just so easy to clean. Not having to unplug and untangle the cord and all that is awesome.

OP
OP
W

wdavid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have an Apex and never used the WAV but I do see a big thread here about problems after a year or so, maybe that has been resolved.

Another option is a used MP40 if money is a concern, if won't push as much water as the gyre but you could set them up the same way. The only real reason I have four MP's is because they are just so easy to clean. Not having to unplug and untangle the cord and all that is awesome.
Normally wouldn't be but I just bought new lights and a dosing pump so I'm just trying to not spend too much too fast.

But yeah I am going to look for MP40s and put it on the back towards the top I think since I already have a wxm module. Or just more 10s, whatever I find

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 mp40 and a vecrta m1 as a return feeding a seaswirl. The seaswirl imo provides the best flow and eliminates deadspot. Best part don't really have to service it. I notice sps grow more evenly on the side with seaswirl. Mp40 and seaswirls and sweeps are my go to for flow

Mattrg02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Normally wouldn't be but I just bought new lights and a dosing pump so I'm just trying to not spend too much too fast.

But yeah I am going to look for MP40s and put it on the back towards the top I think since I already have a wxm module. Or just more 10s, whatever I find

There’s no such thing as too much too fast in this hobby. You haven’t seen nothing until you’ve seen $500 of frags go after a miss dose of alkalinity, only to be back at the LFS the NEXT DAY to re up. :)

OP
OP
W

wdavid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah mine's within the "SPS recommendation" which I believe they set to 35x turn over.

But brs recommends 50x for SPS as a target and plenty of people seem to have much higher turnover.

Since I was having issues keeping SPS and people say there's no such thing as too much flow I figured I might as well see what people thought and so far it seems like the answer is add more flow

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The wavepuck pumps are great, check them out. Great wide flow for lps and moves moves really good. The reefbuldrs article that said all the bad stuff about this pump was bunk and really not true at all.

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My opinion, the MP10s are far too little flow for an SPS dominant 75g. I ended up with a pair of MP40s that are running 100% but in anti-sync (Reefcrest) and it has produced good results.

OP
OP
W

wdavid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My opinion, the MP10s are far too little flow for an SPS dominant 75g. I ended up with a pair of MP40s that are running 100% but in anti-sync (Reefcrest) and it has produced good results.
Yeah I just started with what my LPS recommended but in hindsight I would've done things differently. Just didn't know better when I started

OP
OP
W

wdavid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm debating between the MP40 or gyre fx230/250. Maybe 2 each at lower speeds to make it more evenly spread out and be quieter.

The MP40 would be able to sync/desync with my existing pumps but the gyre is cheaper because one won't need a controller and covers more deadspots from what I read.

I'm guessing both will do a fine job and it's mostly up to personal preference?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 38 34.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 21.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 30 27.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back