Flow rate for nem tank?

harrylikesfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s the optimum flow rate for a nem tank? 10x, 20x, 30x, 40x, or even 50x? Thanks in advance!

sprungson

Anemone Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ritteri, Gigantea, Quadricolor, and Haddoni.
I would have very high flow in that tank.
I have two MP10 at 100%, and a split return nozzle pointed at the gigs at 70% from return pump you can see a video of my tank for the proper flow

Last edited:

sprungson

Anemone Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
High flow as in 50x? Or a bit lower? Cool vid btw.
I don't know what this 30X or 50X is. If you can mimic flow like video, you should be good. The Anemones you listed all require different flow, so you'll need to place your powerheads and return pump appropriately

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know what this 30X or 50X is. If you can mimic flow like video, you should be good. The Anemones you listed all require different flow, so you'll need to place your powerheads and return pump appropriately
30x 50x is the turnover rate for the tank

frizzayyyyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would have very high flow in that tank.
I have two MP10 at 100%, and a split return nozzle pointed at the gigs at 70% from return pump you can see a video of my tank for the proper flow

Old post but that tank is sick obsessed with design

argiBK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Not sure if you're thinking of flow appropriately for anemones. I tend to think of Nx (10x, etc) flow as the the amount of water turnover for filtration, of which, I'd maintain for the type of reef you want. e.g. SPS-dominant reefs need higher turnover than a FO or mixed reef.

I'd think of it as water current in the display tank...

Magnificas (Ritteri) and Giganteas are more demanding/exacting with current than other types of nems. Experts correct me if I'm off-base here...

S. gigantea do well in intermittent/alternating (non-laminar), direct current that allows their tentacles to sway/be whipped and allows them to more easily expel waste from their mouths.

H. magnificas do well in intermittent/alternating, indirect current that circles around them but doesn't abuse them the way gigs prefer.

Quads and Haddoni are probably less demanding than the other two.

Jdadams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d aim for what @sprungson has. That’s spot on for what you need. My magnifica extends out right in front of my mp10 during the day and gets blasted. My gig is currently getting blocked by my magnifica because of a major size difference, but I’m about to fix that with another mp10 in the tank. That high random flow, they love it

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 33.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 23.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 8.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 20 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back