Flow recommendations for 90 gallon reef

mjw011689

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Standard 90 gallon tank. It will be a mixed reef, with some sps (not a ton). Looking for opinions on which pumps to go with. The only thing I know I don’t want is anything ecotech. I’ve got an mp right now on my 70 and I’m not thrilled with it, no way I’d justify paying that much for the larger size.

that said, I’ve got 2 Nero 3s on a 40 breeder and love em. But would 2 Nero 5s be enough for a 90? My returns are not running high flow but they’re pointing down behind where the rock will be to prevent any dead spots back there.

my other interest would be the gyre style, possibly the reef wave 25 or 45. Would 2 of the 25s be enough, or should I be looking at the 45s? Seems like those would be overkill. And again, are 2 gyre styles enough, or do they need some sort of supplemental flow?

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had the same jebao pumps that I've had almost 5 years on my 90g. Barely clean them and work like a charm.

OP
OP
M

mjw011689

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What style are they? I also should have mentioned the reason I was considering the Nero’s and gyre style is the lowish profile, so that is something I’m looking for.

Seansea

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 75 and use the jebao 70 wavemaker. Only have one on one side of tank. Its not enough. Just ordered a jebao powerhead style to see how it goes with it for other side. The jebao 70 is a good pump tho bot need more cross streams

indyreefer75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Standard 90 gallon tank. It will be a mixed reef, with some sps (not a ton). Looking for opinions on which pumps to go with. The only thing I know I don’t want is anything ecotech. I’ve got an mp right now on my 70 and I’m not thrilled with it, no way I’d justify paying that much for the larger size.

that said, I’ve got 2 Nero 3s on a 40 breeder and love em. But would 2 Nero 5s be enough for a 90? My returns are not running high flow but they’re pointing down behind where the rock will be to prevent any dead spots back there.

my other interest would be the gyre style, possibly the reef wave 25 or 45. Would 2 of the 25s be enough, or should I be looking at the 45s? Seems like those would be overkill. And again, are 2 gyre styles enough, or do they need some sort of supplemental flow?
I have 2 Nero 5s on my 75 gal 36in long and I run them at 20 % random I have sps that love it and lps. But I also have two sicce mini pumps on the back wall for more random flow. I think the Nero’s have a lot of versatility and customer support is crazy good from my experience. Also more flow from different places can help with detritus so that’s always nice.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 31 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back