Flow Sensor Location for UV

CincyReefer07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m going to be putting a flow sensor in for my UV to try to get a better idea to get the correct flow through my UV. Does it matter which end of the UV the flow sensor goes on? Inlet or Outlet? Currently I’ve just been guesstimating since I have a Sicce sdc 3.0 controllable pump feeding the UV
3B3C5D52-1D95-42FC-9496-CCF62E2FC761.jpeg

PigDaddyF15E

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based on that pic...I would think I'd want the flow meter before it enters the UV. That way I can dial the pump up/down to get the correct input flow based on what you are using it for.

Just make sure you to follow the recommendations. I think the apex flow meters recommend 6 inches of straight line before/after the sensor. Or...that recommendation might have been from a forum member based on his experience/knowledge of plumbing.

OP
OP
CincyReefer07

CincyReefer07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based on that pic...I would think I'd want the flow meter before it enters the UV. That way I can dial the pump up/down to get the correct input flow based on what you are using it for.

Just make sure you to follow the recommendations. I think the apex flow meters recommend 6 inches of straight line before/after the sensor. Or...that recommendation might have been from a forum member based on his experience/knowledge of plumbing.
Thanks….I’ll be using a Hydros flow sensor, don’t know what their recommendations are for it yet. Haven’t gotten it just yet. Should be getting one soon from them.

Zero_Cool

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
... I think the apex flow meters recommend 6 inches of straight line before/after the sensor. Or...that recommendation might have been from a forum member based on his experience/knowledge of plumbing.
That is the recommended spacing for the Neptune flow meter.

Zero_Cool

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have planned to add one after the UV due to layout and space requirements for the meter. Thought was also to add about 50 gph to account for the plumbing restrictions before the meter.

OP
OP
CincyReefer07

CincyReefer07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have planned to add one after the UV due to layout and space requirements for the meter. Thought was also to add about 50 gph to account for the plumbing restrictions before the meter.
Yeah I currently was able to just guesstimate what flow I might be getting through it just based off of what sicce claims their flow rates are for the sdc 3.0 at different head heights, obviously that’s not an accurate guesstimate, but then I have it running a little higher through it just to account for anything. Have my UV running for disease/parasite management.

PigDaddyF15E

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good idea to be sure how much water is flowing. Based on your pic it doesn't look like it's going to be a big job to install the meters.

Just like you pointed out...I don't trust those flow charts. Not that a meter is 100% accurate...but I like to "know" the number instead of "chart" the number.

OP
OP
CincyReefer07

CincyReefer07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let us know how you like it, I am in the market for one too. Looks like we have a similar setup :grinning-face-with-sweat:.

1674710249596.png
8420ECBF-9E90-434B-81E8-C51279DC641E.jpeg

I’ve had it now for a couple of weeks, haven’t gotten around to installing it yet. This is one of their prototype models they sent me. They have them listed now on their site, although still not for sale just yet, the production ones are a bit fancier looking and come with bulkhead fittings. I plan on getting it hooked up this weekend and trying it out. I bought a pair of pvc 1” female to 1” barb fittings to put the flow sensor into the inlet section of my hose tubing coming from my sicce pump that feeds the UV.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
8420ECBF-9E90-434B-81E8-C51279DC641E.jpeg

I’ve had it now for a couple of weeks, haven’t gotten around to installing it yet. This is one of their prototype models they sent me. They have them listed now on their site, although still not for sale just yet, the production ones are a bit fancier looking and come with bulkhead fittings. I plan on getting it hooked up this weekend and trying it out. I bought a pair of pvc 1” female to 1” barb fittings to put the flow sensor into the inlet section of my hose tubing coming from my sicce pump that feeds the UV.

how did this turn out for you? just got my X4/XP8 pro pack in today. in the same boat was thinking of the 3/4" one for my UV. did you get the clarity on the about of straight space before and after it? some one mentioned 6"

OfficeReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hydros has a flow sensor available??
how did this turn out for you? just got my X4/XP8 pro pack in today. in the same boat was thinking of the 3/4" one for my UV. did you get the clarity on the about of straight space before and after it? some one mentioned 6"
I’m dealing with this now, actually as I have some free time to address. I have a very crammed setup but needs this space also because of the large 1 inch unions. If you want to run UV for parasites, use an SDC 3.0 or a standard Sicce 3.0 and constrict the pipes to 1/2 ID, you’ll be spot on in all likelihood.

OfficeReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m going to be putting a flow sensor in for my UV to try to get a better idea to get the correct flow through my UV. Does it matter which end of the UV the flow sensor goes on? Inlet or Outlet? Currently I’ve just been guesstimating since I have a Sicce sdc 3.0 controllable pump feeding the UV
3B3C5D52-1D95-42FC-9496-CCF62E2FC761.jpeg
This looks great! Is this a walk-in closet or basement?

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You're going to lose head to restriction as flow moves through the UV. I would place the sensor 6" after the output. This will give you a more precise measurement.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%

Back