Flow: what would you do?

SueAndHerZoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 72 (75?) gallon bowfront that I'm going to start aquascaping tomorrow, but where I put the rock and decorations will not only be determined by how I like the look but, more importantly, how it will affect the flow in the tank.

I bought a DC return pump that is capable of 1050 gallons per hour (and will probably run that at half speed) and then I'm going to use one of my Vortech MP40's in the tank, along with a Gyro. I keep reading that I don't have to follow the "low flow" rule with horses anymore, so I will have areas that are high flow, medium flow, and hopefully a spot with low flow for the ponies to rest if they need to.

I want to place the powerheads BEFORE I start placing the rock work, but am debating whether I should put the Vortech on the back wall centered so it's pointing towards the bow front and will hit the front and send flow both left and right, or if I should put the Vortech on the left wall of the tank to shoot across the 48". Then I could put the Gyro in the back right corner of the tank, maybe getting some cross flow? I'm open to any and all ideas for the best flow in the tank. My sources will be an MP-40, a Gyro, and the two returns from the sump.

Thanks in advance.
Sue

rayjay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sue, wherever you place the power heads, you are almost certainly going to be moving them after everything is all set up and running. There really isn't any way to know before hand the exact water movement throughout the tank until you try it. Once set up you move things and/or redirect the return flow such that you can keep the food/detritus in suspension as long as possible for the seahorses to eat and for the mechanical filtration to remove the detritus

OP
OP
SueAndHerZoo

SueAndHerZoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sound advice, Rayjay...... I just need to get in there and get started. But I am so hell-bent on making this tank the PERFECT one with all the right equipment, right flow, right layout, etc. that I am obsessing over every tiny detail. You're right - I just need to get in there and do it, and then modify as it cycles. But I hate messing with the rockwork and powerheads once there is water in the tank and want to get as close to "final" before the water goes in. For someone who loves tanks and ponds so much, you would be amazed at how much I hate drops of water on the floor. ;Facepalm
Sue

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 34.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 15 22.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back