Fluorescent sand?

ReefingMom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, Getting back into the hobby. I recently acquired a used 29g biocube, and was told that the (dry) sand in the bottom is "fluorescent sand from Puerto Rico", that it glows under blue light, it cannot be purchased, and he was previously offered $50 for just the sand. The seller has over 30+ years of reef experience and a very large, successful beautiful tank. My original plan was to use fresh live sand like I did in the past, but I definitely don't want to toss this stuff if it truly is something special. I cannot find anything about it online - and I thought only living things can have "bioluminescence", if that's what he meant. I did turn on a blue light and I didn't notice anything, but it was dry so I don't know if that makes a difference. Help! Does anyone here have any knowledge about this?

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No but that’s an excellent marketing idea

if sand producers can find a way to make highly reflective or truly glow in the dark sand they’ll make six million dollars. Eight if they make it rinse free/ no pre wash silting required

never heard of it

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My personal guess is that the sand simply reflects the blue light really well. So maybe more white or some crystals in it? I understand bioluminescence is organic. So even if it did fluoresce before the organisms are probably dead now if the sand is dry n

Of course he might want to sell you the sand for extra because that’s how he bought it from someone else. Haha

Personally, I’d start with new sand.

OP
OP
ReefingMom

ReefingMom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My personal guess is that the sand simply reflects the blue light really well. So maybe more white or some crystals in it? I understand bioluminescence is organic. So even if it did fluoresce before the organisms are probably dead now if the sand is dry n

Of course he might want to sell you the sand for extra because that’s how he bought it from someone else. Haha

Personally, I’d start with new sand.
:) The sand was free. And he just wanted to make sure I didn't throw it out. But yeah, I'm guessing it maybe sparkles a bit or something. I went back and looked at our messages again, and he says it came from the reef, not the beach. Not sure if that makes a difference. Anyway, I already have some fresh live sand, and I've already removed the dry sand. I'm thinking I'll put the fresh live sand in, and some of the other dry sand on top (after I rinse it very well, of course), so I can see if I can figure out what he's talking about. Think that's OK?

Dennis Cartier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm, there is a destination in Puerto Rico called the Bio Bay that houses bio luminescent algae. It is on the island of Vieques just off the coast of Puerto Rico. I had a trip planned to visit it, but had to cancel due to a medical emergency caused by a mosquito bite. Ironically the bay is also known by the name Mosquito Bay as the mosquito's are legendarily bad.

Sadly the W hotel we stayed at while there was destroyed in the hurricane and has never reopened still.

Anyway, that is the only source of bio luminescence in Puerto Rico that I am aware of.

Dennis

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flouresence and lumenescence are two different things. Which one did the seller say exactly? The former means it reflects light in a shifted spectrum, the latter is glow in the dark

If it "glows under blue light" then that likely is from high crystal concentration that makes it shine.

Natural flouresence or biolumenescense most likely would have had to come from algae on the sand, and that would have been long dead now.

OP
OP
ReefingMom

ReefingMom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never heard of, or seen fluorescent sand, but would love to see a picture when you get it all set up. Welcome to R2R. Always glad to see some fellow NE Floridians join the forum.
Hi, neighbor! Do you have any good LFS up there?

OP
OP
ReefingMom

ReefingMom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flouresence and lumenescence are two different things. Which one did the seller say exactly? The former means it reflects light in a shifted spectrum, the latter is glow in the dark

If it "glows under blue light" then that likely is from high crystal concentration that makes it shine.

Natural flouresence or biolumenescense most likely would have had to come from algae on the sand, and that would have been long dead now.
He said "You can’t buy that sand and if you add the LED blue lights to the tank, the sand gets fluorescent. It comes from a coral reef off Puerto Rico"

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He said "You can’t buy that sand and if you add the LED blue lights to the tank, the sand gets fluorescent. It comes from a coral reef off Puerto Rico"
Guess one way to find out. Rinsed clean and shiuld be safe like other said. Look forward to seeing your tank/build thread!

OP
OP
ReefingMom

ReefingMom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm, there is a destination in Puerto Rico called the Bio Bay that houses bio luminescent algae. It is on the island of Vieques just off the coast of Puerto Rico. I had a trip planned to visit it, but had to cancel due to a medical emergency caused by a mosquito bite. Ironically the bay is also known by the name Mosquito Bay as the mosquito's are legendarily bad.

Sadly the W hotel we stayed at while there was destroyed in the hurricane and has never reopened still.

Anyway, that is the only source of bio luminescence in Puerto Rico that I am aware of.

Dennis
Hi Dennis, I did see some info about Mosquito Bay when I was trying to research. It sounds amazing, and I'm so sorry you had to cancel your trip. I hope you can reschedule it at some point.

Back