Fluval 13.5 Refugium Project

dhof

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a lot of fun planning, and building, a refugium for my Fluval Evo 13.5 tank. It took 2 weeks to cycle this tank, so this is what I accomplished while waiting (and staring at) an empty tank. I put about 5 hours of work into it, and the materials were about $35.

I really wanted an adjustable shelf so I could have options in the top sections above the refugium. I ended up putting enough brackets in so I could have 2 shelves if I ever want to do that.

I did also create a block section to limit the horizontal flow in the sump to only the top 3 openings. I hadn't seen that done elsewhere, just thought it would improve flow through the top filter department. It seems to be working just fine in routing the flow through the top filter, and I do not believe my flow is affected negatively at all.
00Media Rack - View 1.JPG
Media Rack I made out of the UV higher end plexiglass from Lowes. Only used 1 of the small sheets for the whole project. My standard drill bit did fine on drilling the holes, and I bought a little exacto knife to make the long cuts (which was tedious and hard...) The adjustable rack is just some eggcrate I cut up and glued on there.

01Media Rack - View 2.JPG
Another view of the Media Rack

02Chamber 1 - Block Flow Section.JPG

This is a section I cut to block all the horizontal holes in the sump except the top 3 holes. I wanted to make sure all the flow through the sump was going through the top section of the rack where my filters are at. Blocking all but the top 3 holes doesn't seem to have any negative impact (yet)

03Chamber 1.JPG
(Unlabeled view of chamber 1)

04Chamber 1 - Labelled.jpg

Labeled view of Chamber 1. I'm not sure the Clearmax and Biomax has any flow at all, so I may need to put some sort of small pump in there someday (air pump?).

05Media Rack - Filled.JPG
(unlabeled view of media rack, filled)

06Media Rack - Filled - Labelled.jpg

Labeled view of media rack.

07Chamber 2.JPG
(unlabeled view of chamber 2)

08Chamber 2 - Labelled.jpg

Labeled view of Chamber 2. I have no idea if the live sand in the top bag and the substrate biofilter in the bottom will encourage pods to multiply there, but I guess I'll find out. I found some Eheim substrate which is large porous balls, and it looked decent for a base. This picture shows that the coarse filter is cut into an L-shaped tetris piece so it hits the top 3 holes of between the chambers.

09Refugium Light - View 1.JPG

This 10W LED from Amazon is incredibly bright. Reportedly 6000K. I plugged it in for a few hours and there is barely any heat to be worried about, so I decided to mount it with 3M Dual Lock. This is the stuff you hang your toll-booth transponder to your windshield.

10Refugium Light - View 2.JPG

Finished refugium with light. Not shown in this picture is a pretty handy little surge outlet I found on Amazon that I can control from anywhere with an app. Each outlet can also be scheduled. So, I have my main DT light and Fuge light set to be on at opposite times. The wifi controllable outlet is a dream, and it was only about 25 bucks.

Well, hope you enjoyed my project as much as I did. I'm open to any input on changing things around. This is literally my first tank, so I really don't know what I'm doing... Mostly, I hoped to put this all in one place so the next guy doesn't have to search around as much as I did...

boozeman27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice write-up dhof. Cant wait to see it in person. Great first post and welcome to R2R!

Let’s see some tank shots!

medic17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am getting ready to order my media basket to replace sponge in second chamber of Fluval evo. How is ur filtration going now since it’s been up and running for a bit

OP
OP
dhof

dhof

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am getting ready to order my media basket to replace sponge in second chamber of Fluval evo. How is ur filtration going now since it’s been up and running for a bit
well, I had it all setup with the carbon and coarse filter at the top of chamber 2, and I kept getting air locks in my refugium that caused my sump water level to go all over the place. My ATO went crazy daily and after 4 or 5 disasters I was fed up. I tried everything to fix the flow, but I could not reliably keep the volume in chamber 3 solid enough for my ATO with all that stuff in chamber 2. If I had to guess, the block I had made in chamber 1 to block everything except the top 3 holes was the culprit. If I had to do it again, I would just try removing the block and living with the idea that the flow would not all go past the carbon and GFO.

I ended up just putting a media reactor in for GFO and Carbon (draws from chamber 3 and dumps in chamber 3), and my media basket in chamber 2 is basically a large refugium now. It's working absolutely perfect this way with the media reactor and the larger refugium. I think I just couldn't get the flow through the sump adequately with all that various stuff in there.

OhDumb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is the fuge going so far with that light? I'm about to convert my first compartment to a refugium since my skimmer died. I'm debating on what light to get.

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a super cheap HOTB chaeto fuge for my tank while I saved up to do a full sump system (almost ready to start that project next)

Here in the Link ...

A bit of an eye soar, but its functional. In 3 months the Tupperware is almost full of Chaeto/Algae now. Complete success.

OhDumb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a super cheap HOTB chaeto fuge for my tank while I saved up to do a full sump system (almost ready to start that project next)

Here in the Link ...

A bit of an eye soar, but its functional. In 3 months the Tupperware is almost full of Chaeto/Algae now. Complete success.
Love it! I ended up ordering a small 10w grow floodlight. I'm going to do what OP did here with it, but in the first chamber and see how it works. It was $28 so I won't be out too much if it doesn't cut it and I'll try something different like your project maybe.

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can figure out a "prettier" container and framing option, itll be more asthetically pleasing, I didn't care cause I knew it would be temporary

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 35.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 15.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back