Fluval canister filter wont pump

McCarrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all.
I've had a fluval 306 canister filter for about 4 or 5 months now. I bought it used on craigslist with my tank. I have cleaned it out quite a few times and the last time I shut it off it took awhile to get it started. This time I cannot get it started for the life of me. I've got blisters on my hands from fighting with it. I cleaned out the hoses, filled up the canister. Tried filling up the tubes, shaking bubbles out, cleaned impeller and nothing is working. I know that the impeller is spinning but the siphon wont start.
Any ideas on how to get it started?
Thanks for reading

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all.
I've had a fluval 306 canister filter for about 4 or 5 months now. I bought it used on craigslist with my tank. I have cleaned it out quite a few times and the last time I shut it off it took awhile to get it started. This time I cannot get it started for the life of me. I've got blisters on my hands from fighting with it. I cleaned out the hoses, filled up the canister. Tried filling up the tubes, shaking bubbles out, cleaned impeller and nothing is working. I know that the impeller is spinning but the siphon wont start.
Any ideas on how to get it started?
Thanks for reading
Check for a clog in pump all kinds of stuff to cause the clog.

OP
OP
McCarrick

McCarrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check for a clog in pump all kinds of stuff to cause the clog.
I took the entire thing apart. Cleaned out both intake and output tubes, cleaned out the impeller and nothing. I can hear it running but it doesnt push the water out.
I tried pushing water with the primer plunger, shaking it both gently and violently, tried filling up the tubes with water and still nothing.

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took the entire thing apart. Cleaned out both intake and output tubes, cleaned out the impeller and nothing. I can hear it running but it doesnt push the water out.
I tried pushing water with the primer plunger, shaking it both gently and violently, tried filling up the tubes with water and still nothing.
I would check propeller. I bet something is wrong there.

OP
OP
McCarrick

McCarrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would check propeller. I bet something is wrong there.
Checked it. I spins freely, I can hear it. Plus when I was cleaning the whole thing out I plugged it in to see it spin. I also pulled it out and cleaned it

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried filling it up first and starting with it empty and priming it. Neither worked. Theres water in it but it wont start the siphoning.
Try adding a little water to the canister before closing back up. Don't fill but half and see if that helps
@Erin O thoughts as well

OP
OP
McCarrick

McCarrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pull the impeller out and clean around it. It is a magnetic spun. Any gunk or build up will not allow it to spin. The pump will sound like it’s running buts it’s not. I had to do that to my old one several times.
That was one of the very first things I did.
I finally got it running a minute ago. I may need to replace the impeller. I plugged it back in and watched the impeller. It would spin and stop and I could push it and it would spin again. What I wound up doing was filling it half way with water, flipping the lid over t make sure it was spinning and then flip the lid back over. If it wasnt making a rattling noise I knew it had stopped. If it stopped I could slam it down and it would start. hooked the tubes back up, flipped the water flow lever, heard it gushing, slammed the filter down again and then pumped the primer plunger. It shouldn't have given me that much trouble. I dont see why the impeller was having a hard time running when it was dry. Once it starts running with watering it, there isn't any issues with it stopping.

OP
OP
McCarrick

McCarrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably shouldn't run it without water, I don't think the pump is ment to be run dry
Right, that was my first thought when I got it. But since its magnetic with the impeller on the outside, the pump shouldn't have any issues burning out if its run dry. (This is my assumption, I have not verified this). Especially since it is impossible to completely fill it with water when setting it back up, it will inevitably have a short period of running dry. My guess is that the water flow helps to keep the impeller blades off of the plastic housing. When theres no water then it runs into the housing and stops.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 32 31.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 26.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back