Fluval edge 12g beginner tank (no corals)

Shawaiz_106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok so this is my first ever tank (im 14) and I decided to start in saltwater because I liked the saltwater fish alot more and only want one tank.
I started off with two clownfish after about a month of cycling the tank.(this tank is a year old now ) and as I was still new idk how but one of them passed 3 months in. I decided to only have the one clownfish just in case it was my mistake. About 2 months ago I got two hermit crabs, one of which also died ( I think ) because he hasn't moved for a few days and I saw his body or exoskeleton outside beside it. And I got another hermit crab and a snail yesterday. I'll add more pics later
20200920_114434.jpg

OP
OP
Shawaiz_106

Shawaiz_106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any advice will be appreciated, I still consider myself a nood and I'm still searching for a good light that will fit in the hood and sustain easy corals

Davem24

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to see someone so young trying a challenging hobby! There are many reasons this could be happening but I would first check your water chemistry. Make sure your salinity is correct, followed by ammonia tests. It almost sounds like your not cycled. I highly recommend watching brstv on youtube. The bulk reef supplies have tons of videos on cycling and chemistry that will really help! Best luck!

OP
OP
Shawaiz_106

Shawaiz_106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to see someone so young trying a challenging hobby! There are many reasons this could be happening but I would first check your water chemistry. Make sure your salinity is correct, followed by ammonia tests. It almost sounds like your not cycled. I highly recommend watching brstv on youtube. The bulk reef supplies have tons of videos on cycling and chemistry that will really help! Best luck!
I dont have a test kit ( getting a redsea one soon ) but I got my tank tested every week before adding any fish and the salinity is at 1.024sg. I will get it tested at the fish shop next time I go again. For the clownfish I suspected some aggression as the one I still have was aggressive towards the other one ( chasing him around ) but I didnt see anything else and for the hermit crab is it possible the other hermit killed him because my old hermit was on top of the new one yesterday and all night but they look fine now.

Davem24

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1.024 should be fine for fish. I try to keep mine at 1.026 because all the test kits I have are made for that salinity. I also use a tropic marin hydrometer. Very accurate. Do you have a good acclimation process ? Poor acclimation can take days or weeks to show negative results from my understanding (I've always over done my acclimation because I don't want any loses from it). Otherwise it's completely possible aggression was the issue. Not sure about the hermit crabs but I do know some species are aggressive.

OP
OP
Shawaiz_106

Shawaiz_106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1.024 should be fine for fish. I try to keep mine at 1.026 because all the test kits I have are made for that salinity. I also use a tropic marin hydrometer. Very accurate. Do you have a good acclimation process ? Poor acclimation can take days or weeks to show negative results from my understanding (I've always over done my acclimation because I don't want any loses from it). Otherwise it's completely possible aggression was the issue. Not sure about the hermit crabs but I do know some species are aggressive.
I use cups and just replace 1/4 every 5 min about 5 or 6 times , about aggression it could be from under feeding idk though

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 48 85.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 3 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.4%
Back