Fluval Evo 13.5 DC Return Pump Recommendation

James Tucker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are there any DC Return Pump Recommendations for a Fluval Evo 13.5?

I am running a Sicce 1.0 as an upgrade to the stock, but I really want a DC pump.

I've been searching for months... Thought I'd ask here to see if anyone has had any success in finding one.

Size:
7cm x 9cm
2.75inch x 3.54inch

Thank you ahead of time,
James

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
James Tucker

James Tucker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sadly those are too big.

They might be too big?
Sadly those are too big.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question is, why do you want a DC pump, when there are many AC pumps that will fit the bill just fine.

They really do not save any money electricity wise.

IMO a return pump is something you set and forget, like lights. Having the ability to control them is pointless as once they are set, you'll never touch them again.

OP
OP
James Tucker

James Tucker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question is, why do you want a DC pump, when there are many AC pumps that will fit the bill just fine.

They really do not save any money electricity wise.

IMO a return pump is something you set and forget, like lights. Having the ability to control them is pointless as once they are set, you'll never touch them again.
It is personal preference. I have DC pumps on my main display and it greatly cut down on noise and vibration. Almost completely silent. I also like the ability to control the flow of the pump via a controller.

The Sicce 1.0 is adequate for the purpose, but it has a lot of vibration that I'd like to eliminate.

sam2110

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Run mine with an Eheim compact 1000 and it's silent, much better than sicce.

Apparently this pump can be made to fit but I haven't tried it. If you read the reviews it tells you how to make it fit an evo

Last edited:

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

maybe this one might fit (minus the big cage on it) or go all the way and upgrade tanks at that point

this one comes with a dc pump im pretty sure for an extra $150 you get a bigger, nicer tank. just an option

Derrick0580

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Run mine with an Eheim compact 1000 and it's silent, much better than sicce.

Apparently this pump can be made to fit but I haven't tried it. If you read the reviews it tells you how to make it fit an evo

I use the eheim 1000 and its worked flawlessly!

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The DCS 1200 does not fit FYI.
I have one and tried it in the Evo 13.5 and it’s a no go.

Just John

Valuable Member? Seriously?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is personal preference. I have DC pumps on my main display and it greatly cut down on noise and vibration. Almost completely silent. I also like the ability to control the flow of the pump via a controller.

The Sicce 1.0 is adequate for the purpose, but it has a lot of vibration that I'd like to eliminate.
I have the Sicce 0.5 and it's very quiet in my 13.5. but I did this -
Try holding the power cord to hold it above the bottom and/or away from the side and see if it is quieter. I set the pump up to be held away from the side and it made a lot of difference.

MsBean

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reviving this old thread as I have the same question. I recently bought an Ecoflow portable power supply in hopes that I could use it as a backup to power the pump in my Evo 13.5 during power outages. (We have had 3x72-hour power outages in the last year and occasional smaller ones). However, on testing with my current pump (Sicce syncra 0.5, 8W), I am not totally happy with the results as I lose almost half of the battery's efficiency through the AC conversion. I've been told that I would get significantly better efficiency running a DC rather than an AC powered device.

So back to the original poster's question - is anyone aware of a submersible DC powered pump that would work for this tank?

dr_vinnie_boombatz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like there is a smaller MightyJet now (think it came out in 2020?), a mini. Just ordered myself to try, per product description it's smaller than the Sicce 1.0 and 0.5 at only 1.87" x 2.5" if you don't use the front cover which I won't. I tried two Sicce 1.0 and both are loud.

What is weird is when researching for this build this one was never recommended (my build is only 6 months old).

dr_vinnie_boombatz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like there is a smaller MightyJet now (think it came out in 2020?), a mini. Just ordered myself to try, per product description it's smaller than the Sicce 1.0 and 0.5 at only 1.87" x 2.5" if you don't use the front cover which I won't. I tried two Sicce 1.0 and both are loud.

What is weird is when researching for this build this one was never recommended (my build is only 6 months old).
I just installed, confirmed it FITS and zero noise. It doesn't come with suction cups for the feet so I used the existing Sicce ones. Its PERFECT! No more hum and rattle

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 17 28.8%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 49 83.1%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 9 15.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 6 10.2%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.1%
Back