OP
Crazeh

Crazeh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Latest update...

Tank in much better condition through regular maintenance. Still having to control algae to a degree and have no idea where it's getting it's nutrients from - I feed carefully, keep on top of water changes, only use RODI. Nitrates and phosphates reading 0ppm but there's definitely some in there! Nonetheless a good amount of progress over the last photo. Have added some GSP to the rock on the right.

1.JPG

OP
OP
Crazeh

Crazeh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update. Now running some GFO and tank is now clear of algae. Zoa doing better as a result (not quite there yet but working on it). Look to resolve the Cyano this week by manual removal...but for now it's nice to at least have the sand only red instead of red and green! Did end up with my first Acan...not sure of ID but maybe Orange Fanta, which is doing good. Spot feed with reef roids.

DSC_3500.jpeg
DSC_3499.jpeg
DSC_3498.jpeg

OP
OP
Crazeh

Crazeh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did some manual removal of the Cyano and can see it growing back next day. Trying to cure this without chemical products but we'll see...Photo from today.

20181018_190303.jpg

Wuzzo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started an evo a while ago, I'm super new to this and had no idea what I was doing. The next tank I get I will be much more prepared for.

OP
OP
Crazeh

Crazeh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Poor photo but have painted the back of the tank black, wish I had done it sooner. Going to clean the return pump out at the weekend as getting some microbubbles, which are now more obvious against the black background - they're definitely not from the skimmer. Anyone else had this with the stock EVO? Next round of cyano removal this weekend too.
20181024_195137.jpeg

OP
OP
Crazeh

Crazeh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What did you use to paint the back black? Looks good. I might do the same.
Just standard black acrylic paint, applied in thin layers with a roller. I checked there were no thin areas by shining a torch through. I scraped the honeycomb off the entire back with a razor and cleaned for good adhesion (to be honest it was peeling off anyways with general cleaning).

A heads up...If you do go for it and do any masking, don't tape over any honeycomb as the tape will peel it off. Easy to scrape any overpainting off with the razor.

OP
OP
Crazeh

Crazeh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the stand on eBay but it's quite easy to find on most UK sites.

Note that the footprint of the EVO is smaller than the aquarium the stand is designed for. Because of this the weight distribution was making it bow - the weight wasn't being transferred down the side walls of the stand. I have photos in another thread I can try and dig out but I reinforced the underside of the stand top.

OP
OP
Crazeh

Crazeh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sad day for me, but I'm here to document the bad as well as the good.

Have been trying to get rid of cyano naturally for the past 4 months and could never quite remove it all manually, due to the rock layout. Decided to give Aqua Medic Antired a shot. Reviews seemed good, and it's a bit easier to get in the UK vs Chemiclean. Followed the instructions but now 48 hours later I have lost my Blood Shrimp, and I believe two turbo snails. This is despite the product being Invert safe (so i suspect the dead cyano was the killer). My turbos are not decaying (yet) but are not moving or attaching to anything, and they haven't been preyed on by other members of the CUC either - so there's a 0.1% chance they are just comatose. Interestingly all my other Inverts are fine (hermit, cerith snails, nassarius snails, astrea snails, hitchhiker crab).

Have since done a large water change, and I'm running my filter media again, hoping I'm out of the woods. Feeling quite down and guilty about this, after a generally successful 8 month. :(

OP
OP
Crazeh

Crazeh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have recently upgraded the Fluval CP1 to a Jebao SW2 - improvements from the extra flow are great. Also added the InTank media basket to chamber 2 although don't have any opinion on it yet. Minor adjustment to the scales to better isolate the GSP.

Have added the following:
Torch Euphyllia
War Coral
White Finger Leather
Ice & Fire Zoas
Tropical Sunrise Zoa
Red and Blue Mushroom

The supplier threw in another freebie Zoa which is currently on the sand bed - It arrived with Zoa pox so I'm going to try and treat it.

IMG_20190104_185627.jpeg

IMG_20190104_181836_35.jpeg

IMG_20190104_182134_32.jpeg

IMG_20190104_185833_16.jpeg

IMG_20190104_185803_85.jpeg

IMG_20190104_185742_72.jpeg

IMG_20181228_151017_34.jpeg

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.7%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back