Fluval Evo (5 Gal) First timer build progress

fidgetdamidget

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there,
sometimes with newish relationships come very new hobbies...As such, my introduction to reefing and first real foray into aquarium "over-lording" aside from helping with her tanks, I have decided to take the plunge with a 5 gallon peninsula Fluval Spec tank. Despite countless lectures about the difficulty of nano & pico reefs in comparison to "full sized" aquarium builds, I thought this would be a cool and fun project for me to tinker with and have that is totally MINE. In addition to this tank, we purchased a 100+ gallon shallow tank which we plan to use to frag coral. In over my head? maybe...I guess you never really know till you try.
I started off with the basic Fluval setup sans lights and have 86'ed the colored LED strips in the first few photos which I was using just for tank setup. I now have a Kessil "sump" light that will serve as the primary light source for my tank moving forward. Fortunately I was able to fast track the process a little bit by taking a little bit of water from her tank, along with a couple live rocks and snails to get the culturing process started. I'm thinking this tank will need some upgrades from the original hardware, so any input as far as what options are best for this little tank are very welcome. I plan to let the water sit another day and then I will get my rock formation finished and keep going from there as I get my parameters in line. Thanks in advance for any input!
IMG_3738.JPEG
IMG_3727.JPEG
IMG_3745.JPEG

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there! Welcome to the forum, and congrats on your 'true' foray into keeping a reef! Yeah a pico tank is probably gonna be heaps hard, but hey, if you are really keen for it, go ahead!

I have never heard anyone use 'culturing' to refer to I presume the cycling/establishment process, but that actually is quite an apt term. I actually would much prefer to use it instead of 'cycling' so... Imma steal it. :3

Anyways, good luck with the tank! I have not looked at the Kessil 'sump' light so don't know how well it would do, so can't really offer any insights on that end. Out of curiosity though, what is your planned stocking for the tank?

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome!

OP
OP
fidgetdamidget

fidgetdamidget

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there! Welcome to the forum, and congrats on your 'true' foray into keeping a reef! Yeah a pico tank is probably gonna be heaps hard, but hey, if you are really keen for it, go ahead!

I have never heard anyone use 'culturing' to refer to I presume the cycling/establishment process, but that actually is quite an apt term. I actually would much prefer to use it instead of 'cycling' so... Imma steal it. :3

Anyways, good luck with the tank! I have not looked at the Kessil 'sump' light so don't know how well it would do, so can't really offer any insights on that end. Out of curiosity though, what is your planned stocking for the tank?
Thanks for the insight, you’re free to borrow my word ;) as far as resident plans go, undecided at the moment. I’ve seen some pico tanks with cool mushrooms and pulsing Xenia’s, I will probably also have some gsp along the back wall and a fish or two, not sure which.
on a side note, can anyone recommend some small, reef safe fish that are suitable for a pico tank that have cool/ interactive personalities? We have a bicolor blenny in the 40 gal who is just too cool for school and I’d love another fish that really feels like a pet.

michaelmessinaglass

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I successfully kept a yellow watchman goby and randals pistol shrimp in a fluval 5g for a year. They have since been moved into a WB 15g peninsula and are very happy. They’re super entertaining and have a lot of personality.

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the insight, you’re free to borrow my word ;) as far as resident plans go, undecided at the moment. I’ve seen some pico tanks with cool mushrooms and pulsing Xenia’s, I will probably also have some gsp along the back wall and a fish or two, not sure which.
on a side note, can anyone recommend some small, reef safe fish that are suitable for a pico tank that have cool/ interactive personalities? We have a bicolor blenny in the 40 gal who is just too cool for school and I’d love another fish that really feels like a pet.
Sounds great! :D I love those softies, I reckon they'll look superb when they have all spreaded out. No suggestions for fish though unfortunately, it has been a while and I don't really know marine fish anymore. XD

Fishyfish22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
on a side note, can anyone recommend some small, reef safe fish that are suitable for a pico tank that have cool/ interactive personalities? L
You can maybe do a small goby, or a tail spot blenny. The blenny is a fan favorite amongst reefers.

A single clown but the tank might be too small for them.

I'd only do one fish with a tank that size.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 148 88.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back