chrisgold

chrisgold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had my Fluval Evo for a little over a year, similar setup as you:
AI Prime 16HD; AI Nero 3; Ehiem Compacton 1000; Cobalt Heater; Tunze ATO

I was running two intank media baskets - filter floss, purigen, and phosguard in chamber one and matrix biomedia in chamber two.

I've since added a PS2 protein skimmer - I had high phosphates and this helped a lot! This also helps if you are feeding reef roids/frozen foods (in my opinion) - I ran without it for year a couple and wanted to see the benefits of adding a skimmer. Long story short, you can go a little longer w/ out a water change - this isn't the best protein skimmer on the market, you definitely won't get a dry skim, but it'll get the job done. You will need an ATO to keep the water level at the same level to get a consistent skim.

A couple of things that I believe are non-negotiable for a nano reef:

1. Weekly water changes and water testing - parameters in a nano tank fluctuate very easily, catch it before it becomes a problem.
2. Keep your livestock (fish) minimal and got heavy with a cleanup crew - all I had for the first year was a clownfish and fire shrimp, I just recently added a goby but I wouldn't do any more fish than that.
3. Control your feeding - I've gone down to 3 times per week and only feed reef roids once per week
4. Get a good clean up crew

Overall, it's a fun tank with a lot of add-on options, and great for a first reef! Hope this helped.
Thanks mate am just re scaping it now as i wasnt happy with the boring 2 rocks i had. Thanks for advice ill update ya when ive got it all done sometime this week

Reefing Reefer

If you build it, reefs will come
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sharing photo of the gunk my skimmer is pulling out - I know the Ps2 skimmer gets a bad wrap, and people advise against a skimmer on the Evo 13.5, but it works wonders for me.

Attachments

• 5DEC4834-D1C4-439B-A951-7019A00E22ED.jpeg
    5DEC4834-D1C4-439B-A951-7019A00E22ED.jpeg
    171.3 KB · Views: 37

Johnb65

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks mate am just re scaping it now as i wasnt happy with the boring 2 rocks i had. Thanks for advice ill update ya when ive got it all done sometime this week
Would love to see pics of your filter/chamber set up. Considering the Fluval Evo myself this week

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 80 38.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 33.2%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 12.5%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 31 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back