Fluval flex 32,5g - Help needed for mods

norner

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi R2R,

After 8 years of break I am now back with the hobby - and I am excited :) In this matter I came across this forum and looking forward to both find and share inspiration for this hobby in here in the future :)
This time I am looking into starting up a AiO tank with the Fluval Flex 32,5 g marine, as space and my wife preferences are limited :)

I have been reading around the forum for inputs to this tank and different experiences with mods, but I find a lot of contradicting information and there really need some advice before buying the different equipment with the risk of regretting. (I did this enough last time I had a saltwater tank). So here are my most emerging question right now, which I hope some of you can help me with.

- Is the Fluval SP2 skimmer total crap or is it OK for the price if it is combined with InTank filter baskets?
- How about the Fluval LED 3.0 light? Is it sufficient for LPS and a few more simple SPS? I have an Maxspect 160W from my last tank setup, but that would require me to take of the lid and make a new construction on the top. But if the luval LED 3.0 or maybe two is good, then I will stick with this!
- Any other must do mods or equipment changes for this tank set-up?
- I am thinking of adding 1 or 2 Tunze nanostream 6025powerbeads from my last setup as well as a Tunze 5017 ATO. Any experiences with installing these in the small setup?

I am looking forward to share the progress of the tank and hope some can help me with these important initial questions and thoughts.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
IMO - you will get multiple opinions about which product is best and worst. I mean - take the Apex - (the controller) - you have people who have been doing this for 20 years - who love it - and hate it and its debated here every day. I know this sounds like a cop-out - but there are so many variables (i.e. - what are you planning to put in the nano (I know some SPS and LPS - but liver rock? Fish? etc) all will suggest different positives and negatives about each piece of equipment you're asking about. My suggestion (hopefully you have an LFS you can trust) - discuss in detail - with an LFS - your exact plans - and ask their recommendations? OR - contact a custom aquarium manufacturer - and ask them for a system. BTW - what does AiO mean?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Addendum - I would not buy that tank/system. Buy a tank/system that does not require modifications - ie. for reef tanks (I also had no clue what you meant by 'mods' - here that has a different meaning) lol. Seems to me it would be cheaper for you in the long-run - trying to guess which equipment would work for a tank which already has a 'system' - to me will lead to problems. (p.s. - my understanding is that this is a freshwater type tank).

OP
OP
N

norner

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO - you will get multiple opinions about which product is best and worst. I mean - take the Apex - (the controller) - you have people who have been doing this for 20 years - who love it - and hate it and its debated here every day. I know this sounds like a cop-out - but there are so many variables (i.e. - what are you planning to put in the nano (I know some SPS and LPS - but liver rock? Fish? etc) all will suggest different positives and negatives about each piece of equipment you're asking about. My suggestion (hopefully you have an LFS you can trust) - discuss in detail - with an LFS - your exact plans - and ask their recommendations? OR - contact a custom aquarium manufacturer - and ask them for a system. BTW - what does AiO mean?
Thanks a lot for your answer. I totally agree and am aware that everyone has their opinion on equipment and that it all comes down to the context, livestock etc.
I know that it is always better to set up a reef tank that has a separate tank for skimmer, filter, refugium and such and avoid doing a AiO (All-in-one),but unfortunately that is not possible at this point, so that is why I am looking for specific inputs on this particular setup - Fluval Flex Marine - as it in many ways provide what I need, but from what I can read there is a few different mods (modifications) than can be done to improve the tank considerably. But it is a little bit hard to find my way through. Hope this makes a little more sense and context for my questions :)

Reef Racket

Reef Racket LLC
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi R2R,

After 8 years of break I am now back with the hobby - and I am excited :) In this matter I came across this forum and looking forward to both find and share inspiration for this hobby in here in the future :)
This time I am looking into starting up a AiO tank with the Fluval Flex 32,5 g marine, as space and my wife preferences are limited :)

I have been reading around the forum for inputs to this tank and different experiences with mods, but I find a lot of contradicting information and there really need some advice before buying the different equipment with the risk of regretting. (I did this enough last time I had a saltwater tank). So here are my most emerging question right now, which I hope some of you can help me with.

- Is the Fluval SP2 skimmer total crap or is it OK for the price if it is combined with InTank filter baskets?
- How about the Fluval LED 3.0 light? Is it sufficient for LPS and a few more simple SPS? I have an Maxspect 160W from my last tank setup, but that would require me to take of the lid and make a new construction on the top. But if the luval LED 3.0 or maybe two is good, then I will stick with this!
- Any other must do mods or equipment changes for this tank set-up?
- I am thinking of adding 1 or 2 Tunze nanostream 6025powerbeads from my last setup as well as a Tunze 5017 ATO. Any experiences with installing these in the small setup?

I am looking forward to share the progress of the tank and hope some can help me with these important initial questions and thoughts.
Welcome back to the hobby!!! check out this thread i started >>>>>> https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/f...rience-mods-advice.769251/page-3#post-8380525

alot of different ideas and mods. As for the skimmer.... I highly recommend the IceCap Nano!! check my build thread for photos if you want its super low profile and sleek for this tank. Specially if your like me and need to keep the hood/lid.

OP
OP
N

norner

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Clowdy - i have seen your thread - really like the design of your tank - might be reaching out later in regards to installing the fans I have my eyes on the Ice Cap, but prioritized the Intank baskets for
now (money) and will try to give the Fluval skimmer a chance Are you adding any supplements (manually/ automatic?

OP
OP
N

norner

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little update from my flex reef..
Now about 2 months in. InTank media baskets installed, stock pump replaced, ATO added and everything is working well. Have fixed the electricity now the upcoming projects are dosing pump and installation of fans and temperature regulation.

First inhabitants have moved in, and will slowly be adding corals.

Right now I have the following fish:
3x eremit crab
3x turbo snails
2x shrimps
1x fire goby
5x different soft corals and mushrooms.

I am looking into getting another Marine 3.0 light to accommodate SPS and other more demanding corals. Anyone who are keeping acroporas and more demanding hard corals etc. with the Fluval marine 3.0 light?

Attachments

• IMG_7516.jpg
    IMG_7516.jpg
    167.3 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_7514.jpg
    IMG_7514.jpg
    209.5 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_7515.jpg
    IMG_7515.jpg
    196 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_7513.jpg
    IMG_7513.jpg
    187.8 KB · Views: 67

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Now about 2 months in. InTank media baskets installed, stock pump replaced, ATO added and everything is working well. Have fixed the electricity now the upcoming projects are dosing pump and installation of fans and temperature regulation.

3x eremit crab
3x turbo snails
2x shrimps
1x fire goby

I am looking into getting another Marine 3.0 light to accommodate SPS and other more demanding corals. Anyone who are keeping acroporas and more demanding hard corals etc. with the Fluval marine 3.0 light?
If you google it - and look at other threads some people say 'yes' some people say 'no'. I would check with the vendor you're going to buy it from (if at a store) - see if they can check the PAR levels. My other guess is that low light requiring SPS will do fine some of the more high-light requiring will not do as well

Reef Racket

Reef Racket LLC
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

3x eremit crab
3x turbo snails
2x shrimps
1x fire goby

i did not have much luck with Acro... sticking to LPS!

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 14 13.7%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 47 46.1%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 35 34.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back