Fluval Flex 32.5gal (123l)

Mwdsonny

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1st
I've ordered media baskets for the tank. Looking at chemipure blue 5.5 Oz is rated for 35 to 50 gal. So using it is a little over powered, but not super over powered. But that will go on the media tray on 1 side. Filter floss will go in top of both, but the basket with the blue will have an empty tray, other will have 2 empty trays. What should else should I use?
2nd
Also I have the fruval marine 3.0 light, but my nems keep bleaching and dying. They also hide in caves and in shadows. So also wondering what I should do about lighting. The flex comes with 1 light, but the hood had the space to add a second. So wondering should I add second light, or how should I set the light settings?
3rd.
I've orderef a replacement stock pump that I've read people say is rated at 214ish gph. The new pump is rated at 357. How much flow is needed, how much is 2 much. Do I need power heads? If so 1 or 2? And where in the tank should they be placed?
4th
Looking at other equipment, specifically skimmers, And auto Top off. But worried about stagnant water. So any suggestions as well as other suggested equipment/upgrades in not thinking about.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would recommend an ATO (not required but I have found them to be very helpful for consistency). If you do regular water changes then you may not need a skimmer for the smaller tank. Additionally, you may want to sort through the build sections to see what others have done to mod their lights. To spread the flow from the return pump you may also want to consider adding a RFG from Vivid.

JReef3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've orderef a replacement stock pump that I've read people say is rated at 214ish gph. The new pump is rated at 357. How much flow is needed, how much is 2 much. Do I need power heads? If so 1 or 2? And where in the tank should they be placed?
4th
Looking at other equipment, specifically skimmers, And auto Top off. But worried about stagnant water. So any suggestions as well as other suggested equipment/upgrades in not thinking about.
Hi Mwdsonny, I see you hadn’t posted in a while after what sounded like you were about set up the tank. How’s your tank going? Perhaps a photo? You mentioned having ordered an upgraded return pump, which one did you choose and how did it work out?

Regarding power heads, yes, it’s a good idea to have at least one to help creat flow with it the display tank. People often put them on the sides of the tank pointed toward each other to create some turbulence in the water. You can get one or two depending on what you are keeping in the tank as some corals require more and some less flow. If you tell us what you’re planning to keep, we can help with suggestions.

As mentioned above by Peace River, a skimmer can be nice down the road but is definitely not a must for these little tanks, especially if the tank is not heavily stocked and fed. The InTank media baskets, upgraded return pump, and power heads you mentioned are all great ways to address stagnant water. Not a lot is needed to get the Flex up and running well. Depending on the temperature of your home, you may consider a fan modification a few people have done to lower temperatures in the tank. It sounds like you have pretty much all you need to be up and running and then you can have fun researching tips, tricks, and mods along the way.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 108 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back