fluval flex lighting change

JZ199

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After deciding to postpone my new build and upgrade one of my current tanks a little more first, I'm trying to debate between the lighting for it.

It a Fluval Flex 32.5, currently running the Fluval Marine 3.0

I'm looking to add mostly softies in there, so I don't need anything super crazy, but I would still like the ability to add more diversity if I want. I'm open to ANY suggestions and recommendations, the only "requirement" would be that I like how I can program my marine 3.0 on a time schedule and adjust the color intesity individually.

I've been debating between

2 AI Prime 16HD
2 Kessil A360X (above my price comfort range)
1 AI Hydra 32?

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If those are what you are debating on, I would go with the hydra32. You will have more than enough light and have lots of room to grow. I learned the hard way, just spend a little more early for the growth.

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a 32" long tank, a single Hydra isn't a great choice. A pair of 16HDs would be a much better option because you can spread the 2 pucks apart and get better coverage from end-to-end.

That being said, based on what I'm seeing with the new AI Blade, you could probably do it all with a single 30" strip and have better spread than any multiple "puck" style light setup.

OP
OP
JZ199

JZ199

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a 32" long tank, a single Hydra isn't a great choice. A pair of 16HDs would be a much better option because you can spread the 2 pucks apart and get better coverage from end-to-end.

That being said, based on what I'm seeing with the new AI Blade, you could probably do it all with a single 30" strip and have better spread than any multiple "puck" style light setup.
I was looking at the blades, but I was kind of on the fence about it, I thought the grow light specs seemed fairly good and would function well... but wasn't sure if I would have to add on the glow to make it pop the way I'm trying to have it look.

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking at the blades, but I was kind of on the fence about it, I thought the grow light specs seemed fairly good and would function well... but wasn't sure if I would have to add on the glow to make it pop the way I'm trying to have it look.

I'm in the same boat. I want to see a Blade on a tank in person before I make my final decision.

OP
OP
JZ199

JZ199

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the same boat. I want to see a Blade on a tank in person before I make my final decision.
Exactly! I really want to see what the grow lights look on their own, if they're sufficient and I don't "need" the glow light I think they will be a good deal. I can't wait to start seeing some tanks with them

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly! I really want to see what the grow lights look on their own, if they're sufficient and I don't "need" the glow light I think they will be a good deal. I can't wait to start seeing some tanks with them

I was just chatting online with one of our LFS owners (good guy who knows his stuff and sells AI, Ecotech, etc). He said that in his opinion, 90% of reefers wouldn't like the look of the Grow by itself. He also said he passed on stocking up on them on the first round (launch orders) and planned to wait to stock them until the mounting solutions were ACTUALLY available. He should have them in stock in 3 weeks or so, so I guess I'll see then.

BrandonMH

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fragbox did a brief review of one of the blades. They do seem pretty decent lights, but since you would probably have to pair grow with glow who knows how that would look.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 13 68.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 5.3%
Back