Fluval Flex Owners - Experience, Mods, Advice

ScubaFish802

Just keep swimming
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem i see with the rear compartment is the vents of the bottom and the "intank" things dont reach to bottom where the pump is. It just doesnt create a vaccum for all the debris to follow. The vents on bottom allow a bypass of the filter.
From my understanding the intank baskets fix this? This is inTanks diagram -

imageproxy.php.jpg

wonroc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 intanks. I will take a pic of the rear when i get home. They come with a plastic sleeve insert but from what i remember they dont reach the bottom or block the bottom vents.

ScubaFish802

Just keep swimming
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 intanks. I will take a pic of the rear when i get home. They come with a plastic sleeve insert but from what i remember they dont reach the bottom or block the bottom vents.
I tried to get a photo of both of mine but it's such a tight angle with lighting. But both my baskets extend beyond the lowest hole and have a green lip that sits flush with the plastic to prevent water flowing anywhere but all the way up and over the top of the basket like the diagram above. Is it possible you purchased the shorter flex basket for the 15gal Flex? They look almost identical in pictures

OP
OP
Reef Racket

Reef Racket

Reef Racket LLC
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I pretty much did what scubafish did.
First thing I upgraded was to the intank media tray, since the stock sponge one didn't do much as far as flow. Highly recommend since now, the water flow from the intake, up to the baffles and then back down again so I can layer me media. I use filter floss, carbon/chemiclean, and then finally some ceramic media for bio filtration. Kinda expensive at $50 per media box.

I also had an extra hang on back breeder box and made myself a hangon refugium with an ebay grow light.

I also bought the icecap k2 nano for my protein skimmer.

I sold my light that came with the fluval flex and bought 2 ai prime 16hd.

Im going to keep my pump since I put on 2 jebao slw20. They are super powerful, im only on 20% power. I decided to get 2 since I wanted the swaying motion for my torches that I currently have in.
PXL_20201027_020448331.MP.jpg
PXL_20201027_020457823.jpg
PXL_20201027_020513806.jpg
Added the new return pump!!
9BEC4010-A8FC-436B-AB81-39E9C92FE3B7.jpeg

Thanks to @802ScubaFish !!

now thinking of what skimmer to use since we all know the Fluval PS1 does not seem to impress.... I like that IceCap and was curious is you guys have tired any other or know of any other that would fit in the back sump??? Been looking online but not many seem to meet the size requirements so if you have came across any I’d love to take a look!! Thanks guys!!

JNoyes1026

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought my flex from someone that had it up and running for about 8 months. I have had it only for a little while and love it. I am also looking at all the same mods and upgrades as the rest of you. I am looking to add the second marine 3.0 to the hood also but I was toying with the idea of having some plastic clips 3D printed to hold the lid up 1/4 or so off the glass to help with the heat issue. Also I have some plexi that I was going to try to build my own Filter media baskets. $50 each is a bit too step for me!
The list goes on to include adding a heater controller, replacing my cheap power heads (I really like the reef breeders RP-M) and a new return pump.
A6AE77EE-F658-45B6-9E3A-CFEF3174B36F.jpeg

JNoyes1026

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone ever come across a diy media basket dimensions sheet? If not I will just give it my best guestamate from measuring and picture reference.

norner

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

Just started up a flex 32,5 gallon as well after 5 years of break from saltwater world. It has only been running for two days with the stock equipment and two Tunze powerheads as addition (InTank media baskets are on the way).
I have started up with dry reef ceramics from my old tank, som dead LR and one 'fresh' liverock. The water is a mix of fresh blended water and some mature water from a large reef at my LFS.

Everything is running smooth, but I am seeing some weird light green skimming and wondering what that might be?

Looking forward to share experience with you other flex-owners.
IMG_7109.jpg
IMG_7110.jpg

Last edited:

tom.poor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a list of everything I am using on my Fluval flex 32.5. I liked the looked of the tank but wasn’t at all impressed with the stock system. Now I am very happy. Everything works great together.

Tunze Comline 9001 Nano Skimmer
(a bit finicky at first but amazing once dialed in.)
Ecoplus 1/10 hp water chiller
(a little loud but doesn’t come on often and works great)
Ink bird Plug in Digital Dual Thermostat
(this keeps temp within .5 degrees C and protects tank if heater or chiller malfunction)
Sicce Syncra 1.5 return pump
Nero 3 power head
inTank media basket
(Filter floss) 1
(Sponge) 1
(Eheim 2510101 Substrate ProBiological Filter Media) 2
(Fluval bio max filter rings) 3L
(Chemi Pure Elite) 3R
(Marineland 1.5 inch media balls in extra space around pump in rear chamber)

Tank works great with all of this. Before changing everything out, I bought the recommended Fluval power head etc. It was all junk. I wish I had this list when I first purchased the tank. I learned the hard way. The chiller was a must too. I had lots of heat issues to start but never worry anymore. The hood is great after you fix the heat issue because the water doesn’t evaporate. My hood did warp a little too in time though.

Best of luck!

OP
OP
Reef Racket

Reef Racket

Reef Racket LLC
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys!!! Glad you all have decided to check the thread and please continue to share your new ideas and experiences! so far i love this tank and ive had alot of success with coral growth!

as for filter media... Ive been running two of the small "chemi pure elite nano" bags (one on each side) which treat 10gal each. also, 1 of the included carbon bags and a small 100ml purigen bag. for the last month, my 4th month i have had perfect readings on parameters consistently with 5gal Water Changes once a week. The layout of my media baskests is
Top left: Filter Floss Top right: Filter Floss
mid left: chemipure/carbon Mid right: Chemipure/Purigen
Bottom: Boi Media (seachem matrix and fluval rings) on both.

Hope this helps! i know i was wondering what to run in the beginning but ive found with what i got in the tank this is sufficient.

Last edited:

norner

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So happy that I can get these inputs from you guys now and making the right decisions from the beginning.
would you add the media with intank baskets now or wait until the cycle is over?
Heat is obviously the big problem with this tank, and i think a cooler is very expensive - but maybe fans connected to the thermostat (will definitely get the ink bird) could do the job as I would very much like to keep the lid on as well.
Anyone of you adding supplements?

JNoyes1026

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering do any of you use a magnet glass cleaner? I was looking to get a flipper brand but wasn’t sure how it would do on the front glass.

jmwils1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm putting this build together and appreciate all the information in this thread. The Icecap skimmer doesn't seem to fit into the center compartment because the ring is too large by a few mm. Is it just supposed to rest on the lip outside the glass?

OP
OP
Reef Racket

Reef Racket

Reef Racket LLC
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So happy that I can get these inputs from you guys now and making the right decisions from the beginning.
would you add the media with intank baskets now or wait until the cycle is over?
Heat is obviously the big problem with this tank, and i think a cooler is very expensive - but maybe fans connected to the thermostat (will definitely get the ink bird) could do the job as I would very much like to keep the lid on as well.
Anyone of you adding supplements?
I only used the included bio rings and carbon for the first two weeks or so until detritus started showing then I got a good CUC (clean up crew) and started using my other media!

OP
OP
Reef Racket

Reef Racket

Reef Racket LLC
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering do any of you use a magnet glass cleaner? I was looking to get a flipper brand but wasn’t sure how it would do on the front glass.
The tunez magnet with scraper is best but pretty pricy... Amazon I believe sells a couple types!

OP
OP
Reef Racket

Reef Racket

Reef Racket LLC
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm putting this build together and appreciate all the information in this thread. The Icecap skimmer doesn't seem to fit into the center compartment because the ring is too large by a few mm. Is it just supposed to rest on the lip outside the glass?
Yes! Just don’t worry about the magnet back... leave a small gap with the adjustable hand screw pice and rest it the magnet side on the back of center with the screw resting in the front of center!
image.jpg

Hope this helps!!

Blcard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you fingered out how to get the water to skim and flow down the media baskets? Just seems like they sit in there and soak. Will the upgraded return pump do it? Still running stock and have went back and forth with the stock sponge thing and the acrylic baskets. Still not happy and considering a canister filter

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 101 75.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.2%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back