OP
Reef Racket

Reef Racket

Reef Racket LLC
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could keep the small back portion of the hood off as well, or leave the feeding cover open too. I know some people have installed fans in the hood as said above but I’m not familiar with that or running a bubbler unfortunately.. what is your ph during the day usually?
its usually around 8 now that cycle is over and life is more present... but for life of me i could not get it above 7.8 until i started dosing with Seachem Reef Buffer. ive seen some people operate with 7.8 but ive read it should be between 8.0 and 8.3

OP
OP
Reef Racket

Reef Racket

Reef Racket LLC
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PH is usually 8.0 now that life is present but, ive been dosing it to try and get it a bit higher since before the cycle was complete it would not get above 7.8... i kep the back cover off and usually have the feeding lid lifted... ive heard of people operating on 7.8 ph but ive read everywhere it should be between 8.0 and 8.3 so i wanted it a bit higher than 8 incase of a decrease...

HavocXT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I pretty much did what scubafish did.
First thing I upgraded was to the intank media tray, since the stock sponge one didn't do much as far as flow. Highly recommend since now, the water flow from the intake, up to the baffles and then back down again so I can layer me media. I use filter floss, carbon/chemiclean, and then finally some ceramic media for bio filtration. Kinda expensive at $50 per media box.

I also had an extra hang on back breeder box and made myself a hangon refugium with an ebay grow light.

I also bought the icecap k2 nano for my protein skimmer.

I sold my light that came with the fluval flex and bought 2 ai prime 16hd.

Im going to keep my pump since I put on 2 jebao slw20. They are super powerful, im only on 20% power. I decided to get 2 since I wanted the swaying motion for my torches that I currently have in.
PXL_20201027_020448331.MP.jpg
PXL_20201027_020457823.jpg
PXL_20201027_020513806.jpg

Hello Reefers,

Im a first time reefer but certainly not new to the aquarium lifestyle. I decided to start my journey with an AIO (all in one) Fluval Flex 32.5 Gallon. I have had so many questions about the best way to go about setting up this tank as there are many ways to modify and improve it. However, with the tank being an AIO there are some restrictions to what you can do.

For example if your like me and in a household with other pets or kids that make the “hood” of the tank a must for you than lighting may be troubling you a bit like it has for me.

So.... I wanted to create this thread for everyone using these tank kits to get some answers and advice on ways to improve their tanks! I would love to hear your experiences and what you have kept or changed about the tank with its stock hardware and equipment. Tell us about your modifications or ideas to overcome some restrictions and ways for improvement! Pictures are encouraged so please feel free to share!

All questions are good questions so ask away and hopefully a fellow Fluval Flex owner will be able to answer or brainstorm ideas.

I will personally be keeping an extra close eye on this thread as I am very excited to see and hear about all the possible ways to improve these setups! I’m on my second week and waiting for a few items in the mail but will soon post some pictures and a detailed message on my tank specs and mods.

Look forward to hearing from you all!
-cLoWDy

ScubaFish802

Just keep swimming
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I pretty much did what scubafish did.
First thing I upgraded was to the intank media tray, since the stock sponge one didn't do much as far as flow. Highly recommend since now, the water flow from the intake, up to the baffles and then back down again so I can layer me media. I use filter floss, carbon/chemiclean, and then finally some ceramic media for bio filtration. Kinda expensive at $50 per media box.

I also had an extra hang on back breeder box and made myself a hangon refugium with an ebay grow light.

I also bought the icecap k2 nano for my protein skimmer.

I sold my light that came with the fluval flex and bought 2 ai prime 16hd.

Im going to keep my pump since I put on 2 jebao slw20. They are super powerful, im only on 20% power. I decided to get 2 since I wanted the swaying motion for my torches that I currently have in.
PXL_20201027_020448331.MP.jpg
PXL_20201027_020457823.jpg
PXL_20201027_020513806.jpg
Looks good. Where did you find the tank cover?

OP
OP
Reef Racket

Reef Racket

Reef Racket LLC
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone ever think of adding a External Canister filter on top of the sump??? Kinda defeats the purpose I know but maybe beneficial for less water changes.... Hmmm

ScubaFish802

Just keep swimming
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone ever think of adding a External Canister filter on top of the sump??? Kinda defeats the purpose I know but maybe beneficial for less water changes.... Hmmm
I've seen canisters and hang on back refugiums, this guy made a chaeto reactor for his -

OP
OP
Reef Racket

Reef Racket

Reef Racket LLC
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen canisters and hang on back refugiums, this guy made a chaeto reactor for his -

thats pretty cool but i wonder if its even necessary... it just seems like just the media baskets wouldnt be enough but they seem to be doing great so far at 10% WC once a week. i have a decent canister but thinking im going to return it...

OP
OP
Reef Racket

Reef Racket

Reef Racket LLC
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, 14513 is the one you want. 14516 is the same but wont fit as it has extendable arms/legs.
You can buy 14513 right here from Fluval. The only issue is heat. Two of these lights at full blast would fry the stuff in my tank currently. To be honest 2 of the #14516 would be nice and then ditch the hood for heat (not ideal in your situation I saw) but at that point I would buy AI primes with a mesh top or something.

As far as par goes, without your own meter this chart is about as close as you will get to a starting point (based off of part #14516)

C8231022-7471-4770-9D78-34746506670E.png

Current return pump is a eheim compacton 1000 I believe.. looking at a Sicce Syncra silent 1.5 just to up the gph a little bit.
Second light just arrived!!! Any update or idea if doubling the same light increases the PAR? Also these are 42 watts so I’m guessing the average of the two on the cart out is about 230 PAR or so... but two is double than as long as I controll the heat I think that would be a great amount for anything in the tanks... other than heat would u see this as being too much light? With both I would think I’ll never have anything above 80% but does the percentage lower par or just output power? Still not completely understanding the details of the lighting....

wonroc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have the 2 intank things with floss and carbon. However, i am suspicious that all the water isnt flowing through the floss. I too have a upgraded pump and skimmer. Thinking about a reactor or canister.

20201016_184255.jpg 20200922_130353.jpg

ScubaFish802

Just keep swimming
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have the 2 intank things with floss and carbon. However, i am suspicious that all the water isnt flowing through the floss. I too have a upgraded pump and skimmer. Thinking about a reactor or canister.

20201016_184255.jpg 20200922_130353.jpg
What is the light in the rear currently for? Chaeto in the center?

ScubaFish802

Just keep swimming
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Old pic. Cheato died. I removed led in back a few days ago
I am looking at making a "basket" like this.. and adding a small clamp on refugium light over the rear cut out section in the hood, but have not yet as still debating on skimmer in the same area. Would cut acrylic or pvc sheet + dremel and epoxy probably.

(very rough sketch idea for a "basket" in center chamber)
custom refugium.jpg

OP
OP
Reef Racket

Reef Racket

Reef Racket LLC
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking at making a "basket" like this.. and adding a small clamp on refugium light over the rear cut out section in the hood, but have not yet as still debating on skimmer in the same area. Would cut acrylic or pvc sheet + dremel and epoxy probably.

(very rough sketch idea for a "basket" in center chamber)
custom refugium.jpg
Ohh man if you do this let me know haha I’ll buy one!!! Pump placement?

wonroc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem i see with the rear compartment is the vents of the bottom and the "intank" things dont reach to bottom where the pump is. It just doesnt create a vaccum for all the debris to follow. The vents on bottom allow a bypass of the filter.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back