Fluval marine light settings

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Although I am liking the growth on my t5 side off the tank....sooo might just get another 2 and replace the original Fluval LED
Ya, I like the blend I'm getting as well. Originally was solely 2 T5, not quite enough. After adding the Fluval, my Nem and Duncan exploded in growth. Seems just enough for LPS and softies.

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah ha! Same setup then :D .... I would think if this the only light on the OP's setup, it's not enough...
I'm using a 10K and a deep blue actinic Geismann, so similar spectrum would think....
The Power-Glo is 18,000 K

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya, I like the blend I'm getting as well. Originally was solely 2 T5, not quite enough. After adding the Fluval, my Nem and Duncan exploded in growth. Seems just enough for LPS and softies.
Same here, the t5's by itself was not as good

ReefMind

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one of these. I've been meaning to measure the actual PAR output. I'll put the meter under it tonight.

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now I'm curious if I should find another set of t5's
Mine seem to be doing the trick, so I'm not gonna talk you into it lol. I think with your stock similar to my own of softies and LPS and how yours is looking great lately I wouldn't mess with it.

Just John

Valuable Member? Seriously?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are here looking for settings on the Marine Spectrum 3.0, then you should read this article by BRS. It does not give you a specific "use these settings" but will be very helpful.
I have based my settings on the below graph from the AI prime. Supposedly, they spent a ton of time finding out the best spectrum for corals and came up with this. Because the Fluval light is relatively low wattage, I thought it was appropriate to max out the blue and set purple and cyan very high. Not too much red because the tank begins to look pink. I also put a lower brightness break in the middle of the day because this is recommended by WWC. It is all in the article with the link. As for par numbers, they are on the box. (pics are online)

1617910425303.png

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are here looking for settings on the Marine Spectrum 3.0, then you should read this article by BRS. It does not give you a specific "use these settings" but will be very helpful.
I have based my settings on the below graph from the AI prime. Supposedly, they spent a ton of time finding out the best spectrum for corals and came up with this. Because the Fluval light is relatively low wattage, I thought it was appropriate to max out the blue and set purple and cyan very high. Not too much red because the tank begins to look pink. I also put a lower brightness break in the middle of the day because this is recommended by WWC. It is all in the article with the link. As for par numbers, they are on the box. (pics are online)

1617910425303.png
I know that they are on the box, but I'm really interested in how the PAR actually works in the tank. I am a sceptical person, especially when reading boxes for PAR information.
Thanks for the idea about AI PRIME.

OP
OP
H

Hectorg214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you ever find a source for good settings for the light? I have one and am now trying to figure out how to set it up best. Thanks

Is this your sole means of lighting? I have one on my 90g but to purely supplement my 2 4ft T5's. I would probably bump the whites if so, or follow @Sleeping Giant pattern since he seems to be experiencing success.
Here are my light settings fwiw ...and....EDIT I just realized this question was from Sept 2020 lol. Well, here's hoping you settled it.

Screenshot_20210408-132510_FluvalSmart.jpg
This is what I'm using now. Along with a dual T5 light with ATI Blue plus and coral plus bulbs.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210408-205122.png
    Screenshot_20210408-205122.png
    501.2 KB · Views: 184

Platinum Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I had 2 running then I'd probably pull the t5, but it's just not good enough by itself in a 75 gallon
I ran in to that same issue on my 75, it felt like I wasn't getting the spread I needed with this light. I ended up buying a 2nd light and evenly spaced them apart. I've had both of them up and running for 4 months now with noticeable growth across the board. I have a mixed reef and I do have a few SPS on top of my rockwork. Multiple greens birdsnest, Montipora(Plating,enrusting and a Digitata) and a Stylophora. Honestly for the money if you are a new reefer dipping your feet in this hobby I feel like these lights are underrated. That being said I'm sure I'll upgrade eventually once they get closer to the end of their life. If you are just starting in the hobby and can't justify spending hundreds or thousands of dollars on lights then these are for you. Eventually you might outgrow them If you want to get into Acro's and what not.

ReefMind

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
(1-8) PAR numbers for the Fluval Marine Nano LED (Model 14541) using an Apogee SQ-420
(9) Fluval Halo Marine and Reef Nano LED (Model A3973) - Max brightness / blues only

The compression made some of the numbers hard to read but you get the idea. Overall I was very disappointed with the output. Even directly under the light with no cover and all the colors on 100% the max PAR was still under 100 at the bottom of the tank. It seems like most of the claimed PAR numbers are from the whites. Also note that platform is 4" off the bottom and the light was 3" off the water.

30 PAR at the platform directly below the light wasn't enough for the chalice and favia so I switched to my other Fluval and was pleasantly surprised to get around 100 PAR, which is exactly what I was looking for. These two frags came from a tank loaded with aiptasia so they will be hanging out in quarantine for a month or so.

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg 8.jpg 9.jpg

Last edited:

SaltySteven

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are my settings, no problem growing.
I’m looking for settings for my light. Same set up as posted, 72 bow front. I have heard you should only have your lights on for 10 hours a day. I see your running your lights longer. Can you school me on light duration and settings to the best of your ability? Why certain values of colors, more of one and less of another. Just getting started and doing what I can to learn. Thanks for the advice. Here are a couple pics. Just added a spa frag as well as GSP.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 67
  • 65613311032__83DE0AE0-3A6A-4895-B0D4-6330C22110A6.MOV
    514.4 KB
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    176.5 KB · Views: 66
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    229.2 KB · Views: 54
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    190.1 KB · Views: 72

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m looking for settings for my light. Same set up as posted, 72 bow front. I have heard you should only have your lights on for 10 hours a day. I see your running your lights longer. Can you school me on light duration and settings to the best of your ability? Why certain values of colors, more of one and less of another. Just getting started and doing what I can to learn. Thanks for the advice. Here are a couple pics. Just added a spa frag as well as GSP.
Hi @SaltySteven I actually just switched to the Noopsyche K7 V3 lights.
I do run my lights longer, but that's just my personal preference.
As for color picks on the Fluval Marine, I used what I thought ramp up and down would look natural. I initially started with one of the preset settings and tinkered from there. I didn't have a par meter to set them up properly.

Dune74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
(1-8) PAR numbers for the Fluval Marine Nano LED (Model 14541) using an Apogee SQ-420
(9) Fluval Halo Marine and Reef Nano LED (Model A3973) - Max brightness / blues only

The compression made some of the numbers hard to read but you get the idea. Overall I was very disappointed with the output. Even directly under the light with no cover and all the colors on 100% the max PAR was still under 100 at the bottom of the tank. It seems like most of the claimed PAR numbers are from the whites. Also note that platform is 4" off the bottom and the light was 3" off the water.

30 PAR at the platform directly below the light wasn't enough for the chalice and favia so I switched to my other Fluval and was pleasantly surprised to get around 100 PAR, which is exactly what I was looking for. These two frags came from a tank loaded with aiptasia so they will be hanging out in quarantine for a month or so.

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg 8.jpg 9.jpg
Thank you for these Par readings. Very helpful!!!!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 82 87.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.2%
Back