Fluval Sea Evo 52L (13.5G) Stocking

danjonesy_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I’m currently cycling a fluval sea evo 13.5 and and trying to figure out stocking for this little tank. (Just a note, I’m new to saltwater fish keeping)

My thoughts on stocking so far are:
- A single Occ/Perc Clownfish
- A Royal Blue Damsel (Chrysiptera Springeri)
- A Purple Firefish
With a Pacific cleaner shrimp.

my questions really are:
- is this overstocking the tank?
- will the Royal Blue damsel give the fire fish or clown grief, or the clown give the damsel grief? (I am told the springeri is one of the mildest temperament damsels but is still a damsel)
- will the clown do fine on its own, or will this need to be a pair, and either firefish or damsel to be replaced by it?

thank you in advance!

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

Stocking plan looks good. My Blue Damsel is the only fish I have that nips me when I put my hand in the tank. Clowns are fine on their own especially if they have an anemone.

2F1DBE8F-778A-455B-AA6F-D1E962DC16D0.gif

OP
OP
D

danjonesy_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cheers Guys.

I’m not sure if I’ll dive into anemones quite yet. Think I’ll go down the route of a few softies and some forgiving LPS’s, but still have the stock light so have to be mindful.

are anemones that are compatible with an Occ/Perc typically tricky to look after?

thatone08

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I have a pair of flurry clowns, a goby(common name escapes currently), and a cleaner shrimp.

A lot of coral.
For the anemone question I would say you would definitely have to upgrade the stock light first to like an AI Prime or better.stock light will be fine for zoas, Xenia, gap, and other softies.

LPS that worked for me with stock light, was an octospawn. Upgraded when I got hammers, and a small sps frag.

good luck let us know what you went with!

Brannersandmash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Evening all I've just began to cycle my Evo I'm using Dr tims and will leave for extra 4 weeks may add a rotting prawn Ian some tights I'll be using a fluval sea nano light thinking about stocking with a pair of clowns and what else could I add to the mix will be a mixed reef tank mainly softys and will be adding a nem once tank is stable
Any advice appreciated cheers .

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't -- as many have said -- add an anemone until your tank matures. They really just don't do well at all with new builds. I added one at the three month mark in a 40g build, and it just shrivelled away to nothing.

I had much more success with rock flower and maxi-mini nems. I have two rock flower anemones in my own Evo, and they're very forgiving (and fun to watch).

You might be looking for trouble if you add a pair of clowns for a tank that size, as they won't leave much space for any other fish. Firefish are amazingly beautiful, but they're not the most kinetic tank inhabitants. I'd look for something with a better personality, like gobies, blennies, or a white spotted pygmy filefish.

Brannersandmash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah the nem won't be added till at least 6 months this is my 3rd tank but I've never tried to do one as small will look into the rock flowers cheers for the advice I'm new to all this but once I've got the hang of it I will post my own thread to follow

jfoahs04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My thoughts on stocking so far are:
- A single Occ/Perc Clownfish
- A Royal Blue Damsel (Chrysiptera Springeri)
- A Purple Firefish
With a Pacific cleaner shrimp.

my questions really are:
- is this overstocking the tank?
- will the Royal Blue damsel give the fire fish or clown grief, or the clown give the damsel grief? (I am told the springeri is one of the mildest temperament damsels but is still a damsel)
- will the clown do fine on its own, or will this need to be a pair, and either firefish or damsel to be replaced by it?
I think that's a decent stock list. I worry a little about either (or both) the clown or damsel bugging the firefish, but that might be mitigated by introducing the firefish first. The clown and/or damsel will be territorial if they're introduced first and establish themselves. They'll torment the firefish if you introduce it last.

One clown should be fine. If you do a pair of clowns, I'd ditch the damsel (I'm doing a tailspot blenny and a pair of Occ. in my Evo).

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my wife's fluval evo we have a royal gramma and a wheeler's Shrimp goby with his candy cane pistol shrimp. There is also a pair of sexy shrimp and a skunk cleaner shrimp in there. Everyone is doing well, and no aggression, and it doesn't look overstocked. We may still add a green banded goby, but haven't decided for sure.

Definitely look into the little gobies instead of a damsel or clowns in this size tank. You won't be disappointed. Neon, sharknose, green banded, various Trimma sp. All are fun, as are smaller shrimp like the sexy shrimp, Pederson's anemone shrimp, and spotted anemone shrimp

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 33.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 16.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back