Flux rx Stressing my corals and fish

Fredrxn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello guys I put flux rx in my tank …soon as I did corals closed almost all the way up…and seems to my bother fish…I dosed it on Sunday I have Bryopsis algae in my tank….should I just put carbon in and do water change? Also my skimmer is off…please help

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What type of corals? What are you seeing? What are the fish doing?

Don't turn the skimmer off, just remove the cup and let it overflow to help with oxygen.

I used some reef flux in my coral QT tank recently and nothing reacted. Thank god I have a tank I QT corals in... so it never made it to my DT. It's crazy what a clean looking coral can bring in.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
This is mixed. I hear of many who have issues and many who got rid of bryopsis. Ive used it without issue but with this product you want to dose at 80-85% to account for volume /useable gallons.

OP
OP
Fredrxn

Fredrxn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is mixed. I hear of many who have issues and many who got rid of bryopsis. Ive used it without issue but with this product you want to dose at 80-85% to account for volume /useable gallons
So it looks like I over dose it because i dose for 65 gallons…my tank hold 65 gallons but it less then with rock work..what should I do?

OP
OP
Fredrxn

Fredrxn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What type of corals? What are you seeing? What are the fish doing?

Don't turn the skimmer off, just remove the cup and let it overflow to help with oxygen.

I used some reef flux in my coral QT tank recently and nothing reacted. Thank god I have a tank I QT corals in... so it never made it to my DT. It's crazy what a clean looking coral can bring in.
Torch hammer zoas blasto gsp…two fish stop eating the clown is staying at the top of tank and has white spots on it…I think overdose it I forgot to count for rock work..also turn off uv

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it looks like I over dose it because i dose for 65 gallons…my tank hold 65 gallons but it less then with rock work..what should I do?

A water change would remove some.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well white spots sounds like you have a ich or velvet too.

I would probably do a water change and add carbon and turn on the UV. Should remove it all that way.

You could try it again with correct dose but you need to let stuff recover and address your sick fish.

OP
OP
Fredrxn

Fredrxn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well white spots sounds like you have a ich or velvet too.

I would probably do a water change and add carbon and turn on the UV. Should remove it all that way.

You could try it again with correct dose but you need to let stuff recover and address your sick fish.
Is there any other way to kill bryopsis without flux

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any other way to kill bryopsis without flux

Give the rock it is on a peroxide dip. How bad is it? Easy to get rid of if you don't... let it go... same goes for bubble algae and aiptasia and all that pesky stuff. The "eh I'll do it next week" don't work to well!

It got in my DT once... on two rocks. I removed what corals I could and scrubbed the rock then dipped them in tank water + peroxide until a rolling boil... for 10 min I think. I then added about 5 female emerald crabs and they went nuts for the peroxide cooked bryopsis and it never returned.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Do slight water change to reduce amount of flux in tank and follow Tamberav's suggestion with skimmer t increase oxygen

OP
OP
Fredrxn

Fredrxn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s on most of the rocks and on zoas frags..here a pic

Attachments

• A727F983-6418-426A-BF64-4F2B96E8DB7B.jpeg
    A727F983-6418-426A-BF64-4F2B96E8DB7B.jpeg
    185.3 KB · Views: 78
OP
OP
Fredrxn

Fredrxn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Give the rock it is on a peroxide dip. How bad is it? Easy to get rid of if you don't... let it go... same goes for bubble algae and aiptasia and all that pesky stuff. The "eh I'll do it next week" don't work to well!

It got in my DT once... on two rocks. I removed what corals I could and scrubbed the rock then dipped them in tank water + peroxide until a rolling boil... for 10 min I think. I then added about 5 female emerald crabs and they went nuts for the peroxide cooked bryopsis and it never returned.
Ok I’ll do like 10 gallons

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s on most of the rocks and on zoas frags..here a pic
225px-Solid_blue.svg.png

NO but seriously lol blue pics are so hard to determine what is going on.

If it is all over then reef flux is the 'easy' cure.

Still that clown might die since disease has already settled in.

OP
OP
Fredrxn

Fredrxn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
225px-Solid_blue.svg.png

NO but seriously lol blue pics are so hard to determine what is going on.

If it is all over then reef flux is the 'easy' cure.

Still that clown might die since disease has already settled in.
lol sorry about that I’ll do like a 10 gallon water change

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
do a large WC. add some carbon. turn your skimmer back online and remove the cup.

i am currently dealing with bryopsis in my 40B. this is what i have done so far which has been helping:
bought 1 DOLABELLA AURICULARIA sea hare.
bought 2 ELYSIA CRISPATA lettuce nudibranch/slug.
bought 1 FEMALE emerald crab.

i may remove the sea hare, and add more lettuce nudi's and emerald crabs.

OP
OP
Fredrxn

Fredrxn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do a large WC. add some carbon. turn your skimmer back online and remove the cup.

i am currently dealing with bryopsis in my 40B. this is what i have done so far which has been helping:
bought 1 DOLABELLA AURICULARIA sea hare.
bought 2 ELYSIA CRISPATA lettuce nudibranch/slug.
bought 1 FEMALE emerald crab.

i may remove the sea hare, and add more lettuce nudi's and emerald crabs.
Ok I look into getting those everyone says nothing eats byropsis

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Ok I look into getting those everyone says nothing eats byropsis
i spoke to John from reefcleaners and he states the lettuce nudibranch(elysia crispata) does not eat bryopsis.

while acclimating both of mine i cut pieces of bryopsis from my tank into the acclimating bowl and they went straight for it...same for my emerald crab. i got a female because i read they are not as annoying/PITA as the males. the sea hare IMMEDEATELY ate anything that was algae. within a week he cleared out about 70% of the bryopsis. the 30% that's left is in an area of medium/high flow which is why i feel like i may need more nudi's/crabs. the sea hare wont go near that area. i don't want to lower the flow here because my SPS is there.

OP
OP
Fredrxn

Fredrxn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i spoke to John from reefcleaners and he states the lettuce nudibranch(elysia crispata) does not eat bryopsis.

while acclimating both of mine i cut pieces of bryopsis from my tank into the acclimating bowl and they went straight for it...same for my emerald crab. i got a female because i read they are not as annoying/PITA as the males. the sea hare IMMEDEATELY ate anything that was algae. within a week he cleared out about 70% of the bryopsis. the 30% that's left is in an area of medium/high flow which is why i feel like i may need more nudi's/crabs. the sea hare wont go near that area. i don't believe i would like to lower the flow here because my SPS is there.
Ok I have a pincushion Urchin wonder if that would eat it

outhouse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if fluconazole is giving you problems, its because you have other issues going on.

You water is jacked for what ever reason, Ive used the product for years and never had a problem.

My advise is to do large water changes, then re dose. The amount you put in before is actually OK

Most people dont realize the power of water changes, but it needs to be done before and after use of medicine.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 33.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 23.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 8.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 20 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back