Flux rx Stressing my corals and fish

outhouse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the top of tank and has white spots on it
illness from crap water, has nothing to do with fluconazole.

I have had a clown pair for 30 years and not once has fluconazole made them sick.

Your dose not that high, I have been dosing by tank size for decades.

You need 100% water change and your fish will thank you. Once fish are happy go back to using fluconazole, and follow that with large water changes, takes a few weeks and a few doses, to correct your problem. Then I would use something like vibrant to keep tank clean.

OP
OP
Fredrxn

Fredrxn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
illness from crap water, has nothing to do with fluconazole.

I have had a clown pair for 30 years and not once has fluconazole made them sick.

Your dose not that high, I have been dosing by tank size for decades.

You need 100% water change and your fish will thank you. Once fish are happy go back to using fluconazole, and follow that with large water changes, takes a few weeks and a few doses, to correct your problem. Then I would use something like vibrant to keep tank clean.
100% water change y? The water is clean po4 0.03 no3 3 to 5 ppm

OP
OP
Fredrxn

Fredrxn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if fluconazole is giving you problems, its because you have other issues going on.

You water is jacked for what ever reason, Ive used the product for years and never had a problem.

My advise is to do large water changes, then re dose. The amount you put in before is actually OK

Most people dont realize the power of water changes, but it needs to be done before and after use of medicine.
I do weekly water changes of 15 gallons should I do more?

outhouse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do weekly water changes of 15 gallons should I do more?
Yes. but its personal preference. I never have time for weekly. I work way too much. To figure out how much is on you, but at your current level, its not working. Or not skimming enough, or not using GFO, many ways to skin this cat. Its possible to lessen water amount changes. I have no idea how you manage alk and cA, AND many use water changes to deal with it. Only you can judge your tank., But we know whats happening now isnt working

Problems is the algae is throwing your results off, so your data [test results] are wrong. If your water was clean you would not have algae as bad.

the keep some nitrates and phos is a recent [last 5 tears] new trend that causes a lot of peoples tanks to crash or have algae.

thing is, you feed your fish, there will always be nitrates and phos in your water, no test needed for that.

Your fish are telling you your water is bad, plus you have algae

Been fighting algae for 30 years. Ive never had a cleaner tank then now. I do 100g water changes monthly on a 270G system, use vibrant. And 3 months ago used fluconazole to get rid of a type of carpet algae when I did not do water changes as well.

OP
OP
Fredrxn

Fredrxn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. but its personal preference. I never have time for weekly. I work way too much. To figure out how much is on you, but at your current level, its not working. Or not skimming enough, or not using GFO, many ways to skin this cat. Its possible to lessen water amount changes. I have no idea how you manage alk and cA, AND many use water changes to deal with it. Only you can judge your tank., But we know whats happening now isnt working

Problems is the algae is throwing your results off, so your data [test results] are wrong. If your water was clean you would not have algae as bad.

the keep some nitrates and phos is a recent [last 5 tears] new trend that causes a lot of peoples tanks to crash or have algae.

thing is, you feed your fish, there will always be nitrates and phos in your water, no test needed for that.

Your fish are telling you your water is bad, plus you have algae

Been fighting algae for 30 years. Ive never had a cleaner tank then now. I do 100g water changes monthly on a 270G system, use vibrant. And 3 months ago used fluconazole to get rid of a type of carpet algae when I did not do water changes as well.
The tank is Jbl aio tank 65 gallons don’t use gfo…skimmer I have is it octo hang back classic 2000….after turning on skimmer and doing small water change…corals are back open and fish are eating….the gha and byropsis is not getting better…I dose flux rx and sunday…. Debating on adding carbon back to the tank and doing another water change to get to Flux out of the system…thanks for help

maleks.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is Jbl aio tank 65 gallons don’t use gfo…skimmer I have is it octo hang back classic 2000….after turning on skimmer and doing small water change…corals are back open and fish are eating….the gha and byropsis is not getting better…I dose flux rx and sunday…. Debating on adding carbon back to the tank and doing another water change to get to Flux out of the system…thanks for help
update?

OP
OP
Fredrxn

Fredrxn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corals are still not happy…I notice some times my corals mouths are open…I don’t know why there so Stressed..I been done with the treatment for about 2 weeks…the gha looks like it’s coming back…I tested par over and over par is 80 to 100 on sand bed…and about 100 to 130 and the rocks….I don’t know if I should be doseing some then to tank or what somethen It’s not right with the tank…I test every 2 days alk nitrate and po4…I dose seachem reef carbonate to Adjust my Dkh…I don’t feed the corals…I have about 25 large frags…I test calcium magnesium every month…light Schedule Has 1 hour ramp up and down…light Schedule is for 10 hours….8 hours of full power to reach the par numbers…at this point it’s just a money pit

maleks.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corals are still not happy…I notice some times my corals mouths are open…I don’t know why there so Stressed..I been done with the treatment for about 2 weeks…the gha looks like it’s coming back…I tested par over and over par is 80 to 100 on sand bed…and about 100 to 130 and the rocks….I don’t know if I should be doseing some then to tank or what somethen It’s not right with the tank…I test every 2 days alk nitrate and po4…I dose seachem reef carbonate to Adjust my Dkh…I don’t feed the corals…I have about 25 large frags…I test calcium magnesium every month…light Schedule Has 1 hour ramp up and down…light Schedule is for 10 hours….8 hours of full power to reach the par numbers…at this point it’s just a money pit
Have you used carbon & WCs to remove the flux rx? Also, how old is your tank? Maybe ramping down the photoperiod will help with the algae issue. Also, I suggest you go and buy a decent amount of turbo and trochus snails. Try to feed your stressed corals if possible, it will help but beware of increased nutrients.

OP
OP
Fredrxn

Fredrxn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you used carbon & WCs to remove the flux rx? Also, how old is your tank? Maybe ramping down the photoperiod will help with the algae issue. Also, I suggest you go and buy a decent amount of turbo and trochus snails. Try to feed your stressed corals if possible, it will help but beware of increased nutrients.
Yea running carbon and doing water changes

OP
OP
Fredrxn

Fredrxn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is 10 months old

maleks.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is 10 months old
You can try to run your lights for 7 hours only until you get on top of the algae issue. The priority right now is your corals. You could use vibrant for the algae later on. If the fish have spots then it might be a disease. I am using flux rx right now but the fish and corals are fine. I did however lose a fish that was added to the tank 3 days prior to adding flux rx, which might be a coincidence. You either got an expired batch or maybe if your skimmer was off for too long and there was not enough surface agitation, then o2 might've been very low.

OP
OP
Fredrxn

Fredrxn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can try to run your lights for 7 hours only until you get on top of the algae issue. The priority right now is your corals. You could use vibrant for the algae later on. If the fish have spots then it might be a disease. I am using flux rx right now but the fish and corals are fine. I did however lose a fish that was added to the tank 3 days prior to adding flux rx, which might be a coincidence. You either got an expired batch or maybe if your skimmer was off for too long and there was not enough surface agitation, then o2 might've been very low.
The bryopsis is back my start reef flux agean

maleks.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bryopsis is back my start reef flux agean
Limit nutrients and shorten photoperiod. Make sure everything is healthy and start using flux rx again. Follow the directions strictly. If you see that the tank is doing bad AGAIN, immediately do a big WC and run carbon because something is wrong with your reef flux. If it causes side effects again you can try flux rx. Something is telling me that the cause of the issue is not the fluconazole but something else.

OP
OP
Fredrxn

Fredrxn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Limit nutrients and shorten photoperiod. Make sure everything is healthy and start using flux rx again. Follow the directions strictly. If you see that the tank is doing bad AGAIN, immediately do a big WC and run carbon because something is wrong with your reef flux. If it causes side effects again you can try flux rx. Something is telling me that the cause of the issue is not the fluconazole but something else.
Ok

OP
OP
Fredrxn

Fredrxn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if 15 gallon water changes is to much for tank I do it weekly…tank is 65 gallons probably about 50 to 55 gallons after rock

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is interesting read. My 55g had a very bad outbreak of either GHA or Bryopsis. The pencil urchin I had in there got some of it, but it also tossed corals aside like gum wrappers and it ate at least my Xenia colony and I suspect one of my Nems.

I treated the tank with FluxRx and it cleared out all of the algae issue in one dosing. Not one single coral or fish reacted to it in any negative way. I suspect you have deeper issues than simply algae and a dose of Flux.

Back