Food suggestions

reelss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two new additions in my tank: Kole Tang and a six line wrasse, to go along with a pair of clowns. This is in a 120 gallon.

I was feeding New Life Spectrum Grow to the clowns, but I understand I need to diversify the menu. What do you all recommend?

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two new additions in my tank: Kole Tang and a six line wrasse, to go along with a pair of clowns. This is in a 120 gallon.

I was feeding New Life Spectrum Grow to the clowns, but I understand I need to diversify the menu. What do you all recommend?
I would strongly suggest algae strips as both the kole tang and sixline will eat it. Especially the tang, they love to graze throughout the day. There are a couple different types you can get to add a variety of nutrients to your fish, green, red, and purple I believe.

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Variety is always the answer. Always try new foods (from reputable manufacturers).

A good BASE to any food is LRS or RODS. The BASE is the fundamental foods, or the cornerstone of the diet. LRS and RODS are almost a complete diet within themselves, but nothing is perfect, and I like to add a few other things specific to my tank/fish needs.

My additions to the BASE are;
- Baby Mysis for my super finicky sunburst anthias
- Eggs for every bodies health
- Teeny bits of green/red algae for whoever wants roughage
- Spirulina Brine so everybody gets some roughage regardless
- BRS reef chili -- Just a bit, my anthias likes it so do the corals/micro stars

In addition to THAT, I like a few additives;
- Selcon
- Selco Boost
- AquaForest FishV

The additives really help with fish health tremendously. I've noticed an instant improvement in fish health with FishV specifically. Could be a coincidence 20x over, but it just seems to be (and smell) like a fish Multi-Vitamin. Selcon/Selco Boost are also great for supplying the lipids fish needs, as well as Omegas and other HUFA's. More importantly they can really entice picky fish.

Mr. Limpid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If its a small tang under 4" they do require some meaty items, like squid, krill, and plankton all can be purchased in frozen cube form. I don't trust Spirulina Brine, because you soak it in fresh water all the green goes away and the brine looks normal. Once they get older they require a lot more greens. Just my two cents.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make my own
Reef food recipe.png

chefjpaul

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Variety is always the answer. Always try new foods (from reputable manufacturers).

A good BASE to any food is LRS or RODS. The BASE is the fundamental foods, or the cornerstone of the diet. LRS and RODS are almost a complete diet within themselves, but nothing is perfect, and I like to add a few other things specific to my tank/fish needs.

My additions to the BASE are;
- Baby Mysis for my super finicky sunburst anthias
- Eggs for every bodies health
- Teeny bits of green/red algae for whoever wants roughage
- Spirulina Brine so everybody gets some roughage regardless
- BRS reef chili -- Just a bit, my anthias likes it so do the corals/micro stars

In addition to THAT, I like a few additives;
- Selcon
- Selco Boost
- AquaForest FishV

The additives really help with fish health tremendously. I've noticed an instant improvement in fish health with FishV specifically. Could be a coincidence 20x over, but it just seems to be (and smell) like a fish Multi-Vitamin. Selcon/Selco Boost are also great for supplying the lipids fish needs, as well as Omegas and other HUFA's. More importantly they can really entice picky fish.
This....

Along with anything cool seafood with guts and offals I gather from the restaurant or my fish vendors

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This....

Along with anything cool seafood with guts and offals I gather from the restaurant or my fish vendors

Ooh, yeah offal is good stuff if you can source fresh well kept fish -- and it sounds like you definitely can.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 73 29.6%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 72 29.1%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 52 21.1%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 48 19.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.8%
Back