For all of you using home made salt and/or own additives

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to share an rather bad experiences according to use Epsom salt (MgSO4 *xH2O)

In a large project there I was involved we use a technical grade commercial MgSO2 7H2O in our salt mix. It comes up with two disadvantages. It was high in manganese but that´s not normally an important problem if you use it as an additive - but this salt was also very high in NH4. Analysis we did afterwards show more than 10 g NH4/kg dry salt! We have - also afterwards - analyse two other commercial Epsom salts (for agriculture) for NH4 and found them more or less free from NH4. Maybe - it was only bad luck for us - but it shows that it may be necessary to do a simple test for NH4/NH3 before using unknown Epsom salt in reefing. We mix 10 grams of the actual salt in 250 ml of water and use JBL ammonia test. The salt we used - is the blue one.........

IMG_20221204_113542.jpg

We end up with around 66 ppm NH3/NH4 in the aquarium! And that journey will be told another day....................

We also did a test of the other salts we used - no NH4 in them - that being said, it doesn't mean that all other salts can't have impurities of NH4 in them

Lesson learned - always test unknown salts for NH4

Sincerely Lasse

kilnakorr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Lasse Thanks for the warning.
Could just be a bad batch, but worth checking in the future before dumping it in the tank.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Makes you wonder how many unacceptable source materials that commercial salt mixes have to reject from their various suppliers.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 42 28.6%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 40 27.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 52 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 5.4%

Back