For my 120...

jden092901

Joshua
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll be setting up my 120 soon and I would like to have wrasses, more wrasses then anything else. I will also get two tangs (blue hippo and red sea sailfin) after my tank's been up and running for a while. So, I have two questions...First, should I get the tangs after the wrasses, most of the wrasses I want are peaceful. My bro-in-law told me but I forgot what order to get them. Second, how many wrasses could I have in my 120? I have a really good skimmer for it. It's going to be set up just right. We are finishing the basement and putting it into the wall. So, I have done it nice and slow.

Thank you,

Joshua

Ladipyg

Saltwater Diva
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wrasses are my favorite fish: from the family Cirrhilabrus I like the following and they can be kept in "harems" a male with a number of females.

Kato's fairy-wrasse: C katoi
Tono's fairy wrasse: C. tonozukai
Lavender fairy wrasse: C lineatus
Lubbocks fairy wrasse: C lubbocki
Clown fairy wrasse: C solorensis

From the family Pseudocheilinops
Pink-steaked wrasse P ataenia

I have a Hong Kong wrasse Halichoeres exornatus...great eater of bristle worms...nothing gets past him...I haven't had a BW since I put him in the tank. Very colorful and bold, he's always out in the open.

I would recommend the book: Fairy & Rainbow wrasses and their relatives by Rudie H. Kuiter

Wrasses first then tangs.

That being said I would not recommend a tang in a tank that's 4 feet long...seems big to us, but small to the tang. I would not put a Paracanthurus ( the family your Regal or Blue Hippo belongs to) in. They are timid, need a well established tank as they are zooplankton feeders first, micro algae second, are prone to ICH and "hole in the head" disease. The water must be very clear. They can grow to a foot long, though rarely in captivity.
A single Sailfin tang from the Zebrasoma family would be a better choice if you just had to have a tang... The Purple can be very colorful and adapt well to captivity.

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/acanthurTngs.htm Try this link to Web Web Media....they are probably one of the most informative sites you can use. I use it so often I keep it bookmarked.

Hope I didn't go on too long...enjoy your tank and good luck.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 72 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 70 50.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 35 25.2%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.5%
Back