For sale thead

newfishkeeper88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
been over a month and im certain I have enough posts but I can’t post in the for sale forum . Any help

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, it has been over a month, which is one of the requirements. But another requirement is to have at least 25 meaningful posts, and you are currently at 19.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
been over a month and im certain I have enough posts but I can’t post in the for sale forum . Any help
  • The sales forum on Reef2Reef is available to members that have been a member for 30 days and have 25 meaningful posts (A meaningful post will involve more than saying things like "nice tank" or "I agree." Something meaningful will often be sharing one's knowledge and experience with others and actively participating in hobby related discussions). Use of this forum is available immediately to R2R Supporters (Want to be a Supporter? Click here!).

OP
OP
newfishkeeper88

newfishkeeper88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol meaningful I use this place to learn I have no knowledge to pass on haha

Ehunforfun

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tagging onto this instead of making a new post...So in order to sell in the classifieds section you either need to pay to be a member or have 25 meaningful posts (not threads right?) I hit 25 posts and I've been a member long enough - does someone have to approve this? or does it kick in automatically after some time?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tagging onto this instead of making a new post...So in order to sell in the classifieds section you either need to pay to be a member or have 25 meaningful posts (not threads right?) I hit 25 posts and I've been a member long enough - does someone have to approve this? or does it kick in automatically after some time?
It may take 24hrs for it to take effect.

ReefRyan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can someone tell me how many meaning full post I have made. So I know how many more I need to be able to post in the selling / trading ect. Forums. Also I would like to know where to find that info so I can track it myself

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can someone tell me how many meaning full post I have made. So I know how many more I need to be able to post in the selling / trading ect. Forums. Also I would like to know where to find that info so I can track it myself
Click on your profile pic, and some information pops up. The number following messages is how many posts you have. On the bottom left you will find an option to "Find All Posts" there you can find your messages and see how meaningful they are.

Caravanshaka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Click on your profile pic, and some information pops up. The number following messages is how many posts you have. On the bottom left you will find an option to "Find All Posts" there you can find your messages and see how meaningful they are.

Thanks for the information. Unfortunately, it appears that "meaningful post" is very subjective, and there is no way for me to determine what one might look at. A simple answer "yes" may be meaningful to someone, but not to someone else. a "I like X coral" may be very meaningful to the original poster of the picture, but no one else.

I think the post count should be changed to something that can be easily tracked by a user to avoid frustration. 25 posts that contain 100 characters or more is something I can check on my own. 50 total posts of any kind is something I can check on my own. 25 meaningful posts where "meaningful" has no set definition will always be open for debate. I currently have 28 posts, with 20 likes received and only 1 or 2 of them were only a few words....I still can't post in the for-sale thread....but I can't tell you why I can't.

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the information. Unfortunately, it appears that "meaningful post" is very subjective, and there is no way for me to determine what one might look at. A simple answer "yes" may be meaningful to someone, but not to someone else. a "I like X coral" may be very meaningful to the original poster of the picture, but no one else.

I think the post count should be changed to something that can be easily tracked by a user to avoid frustration. 25 posts that contain 100 characters or more is something I can check on my own. 50 total posts of any kind is something I can check on my own. 25 meaningful posts where "meaningful" has no set definition will always be open for debate. I currently have 28 posts, with 20 likes received and only 1 or 2 of them were only a few words....I still can't post in the for-sale thread....but I can't tell you why I can't.

It may take 24hrs for it to take effect.

You reached the 25 post minimum today and only about an hour ago. Give it time to update. It's not done instantly.

Caravanshaka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You reached the 25 post minimum today and only about an hour ago. Give it time to update. It's not done instantly.

I did see it could take 24 hours. This, however, doesn't change the point of my post. Having a requirement that needs to be met be subjective will always cause confusion.

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes that is true, but you could have a scammer come to the site post 25 - 1 word responses in different threads in a matter of minutes. The 30 days and 25 meaningful posts helps keeps scammers to a minimum

Caravanshaka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes that is true, but you could have a scammer come to the site post 25 - 1 word responses in different threads in a matter of minutes. The 30 days and 25 meaningful posts helps keeps scammers to a minimum

I can understand the goal, just don't fully agree with the approach. There are options that could still deter scammers while being easy to self-manage where you are in attaining the requirements.

30 days I think is a good requirement
25 posts is a good number....most users won't attain this immediately, but should hit that number within the 30 days if they are active.
what about using "likes" to determine meaningfulness? If you post something meaningful, someone is probably going to "like" it. maybe add 10 likes to the requirements? this is easily tracked by users and is an objective way to track "meaningful posts".
require a build thread? If you are selling something here, you have at one point setup a tank and should be able to post a build thread.

Having been a past moderator on a very large forum, I think it is worth exploring options that would reduce confusion and questions while making it easier to moderate.

kschweer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can understand the goal, just don't fully agree with the approach. There are options that could still deter scammers while being easy to self-manage where you are in attaining the requirements.

30 days I think is a good requirement
25 posts is a good number....most users won't attain this immediately, but should hit that number within the 30 days if they are active.
what about using "likes" to determine meaningfulness? If you post something meaningful, someone is probably going to "like" it. maybe add 10 likes to the requirements? this is easily tracked by users and is an objective way to track "meaningful posts".
require a build thread? If you are selling something here, you have at one point setup a tank and should be able to post a build thread.

Having been a past moderator on a very large forum, I think it is worth exploring options that would reduce confusion and questions while making it easier to moderate.
The meaningful part of the equation is, as mentioned above, to avoid someone from just posting to obtain selling privileges. It’s essentially a way for staff to keep things in check with the sales forums and protecting members. You have reached the minimums and just need to be patient you will be able to post sales threads soon enough. No need to look or read too much into this.

Caravanshaka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The meaningful part of the equation is, as mentioned above, to avoid someone from just posting to obtain selling privileges. It’s essentially a way for staff to keep things in check with the sales forums and protecting members. You have reached the minimums and just need to be patient you will be able to post sales threads soon enough. No need to look or read too much into this.

I've already posted in the For sale forums...I'm not worried about me at this point. I'm trying to make a helpful suggestion for the site and people with questions in the future...

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's no one sitting here counting meaningful posts. If someone is spamming the board just to get to the classifieds it's usually reported and the mod staff will see it. Posts that are determined to be post padding can be removed and that person's post count can be lowered.

Daltrey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I have spent thousands in the buy/sell forum and if I see you have 25 posts and joined last month I may be a little hesitant to paypal you $1500 for a light fixture. Yes unfortunately there are scammers everywhere. Thats life.

I think they should make it even longer for new members to sell but it is what it is.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 18 29.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 51 83.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.9%
Back