Formalin

sensei

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some peers of mine have claimed success using formalin to treat velvet at the end of TTM, just as you are describing. They perform a 45 min formalin bath at the tail end of transfers 1 & 3. While it is certainly possible to eradicate velvet this way, I'll have to see it for myself in order to believe it. ;)

I'm also keen to give this a go for treating velvet without chemicals: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/tank-transfer-method.192655/page-11#post-3549495

sounds interesting to cure velvet with 3 Tank transffers of 36 hours or less, I can give that a try next time.
do you know if someone has proved that you can cure and prevent velvet in this way??

what about brooks and urenoma? I am not sure about their life cycle and if Tank Transffer could also be used?
I ask because in the protocol I am thinking to apply I believe you treat for ich, velvet, brooks , flukes and not sure if it will take care of uronema?

4 Tank Transffer Method 3 days each
Formalin at the end of 1st and 3th TTM
Prazi on second day of 2nd and 4th TTM
after TTM observation of 30 days in CP at a concentration of 40mg/g ( this last part for velvet and brooks)
waiting for your reply

Thanks a lot

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sounds interesting to cure velvet with 3 Tank transffers of 36 hours or less, I can give that a try next time.
do you know if someone has proved that you can cure and prevent velvet in this way??

To my knowledge, it has never been tested. It is still only theoretical.

what about brooks and urenoma? I am not sure about their life cycle and if Tank Transffer could also be used?
I ask because in the protocol I am thinking to apply I believe you treat for ich, velvet, brooks , flukes and not sure if it will take care of uronema?
Both of those parasites have a direct life cycle; meaning it lives, feeds and reproduces on the fish. With no tomont stage to worry about you must focus on treating the fish itself and of course, some of the parasites do drop off into the water column (where they can live quite happily for some time) and then go on to infect another fish.

The first step is giving the affected fish either a 5 min freshwater dip or 45 minute formalin bath to knock most of the parasites off.

Then transfer the fish into a new/sterile quarantine tank (to prevent reinfection), and treat with Metronidazole or Chloroquine phosphate for 30 days to finish the job.

sensei

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks a lot Humble.
one more question:
I have been quarentining a lot of fish at same time ( 4- 6 fish)
I am thinking that it is best to do only one at a time, do avoid contamination if one comes with velvet or brooks.
ich is no problem since TTM takes care of that and time between transffer does not allow a contamination of another fish.

can you tell me your opinion about it?
or how can you avoid not to infect the other fish if you do several fish at a time??

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@sensei I prefer to QT 2-3 fish at a time, especially during the observation period. A single fish could develop immunity to ich, velvet, etc. and not show signs, but what are the odds of that happening with 2-3 fish? Also, multiple fish in QT tend to teach each other how to eat in captivity and socialize better once added to the DT.

Another reason I thought of: It's best to add multiple fish to your DT all at once, so the existing fish do not all just key in on "the new guy". ;)

sensei

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@sensei I would never use formalin on any scaleless fish (same as copper). All other fish are going to be hit or miss. You can give one Yellow Tang a formalin bath and he does fine with it; the next one will have an adverse reaction and struggle in it. o_O

I wouldn't mix formalin with Prazipro due to the risk of a bacterial bloom occurring.

Humble,
were can I find a list all scaleless fish to avoid treating with formalin?
I did a formalin bath to a tasseled file fish about 3 months ago. the fish died after 4 days of the bath, I wonder if this is what happened because fish was eating fine before the bath.
he also ate and looked fine the next 3 days and then he started to look diiferent and stopped eating.

a friend also told me taht there are other special cares when using formalin. expired formalin for example may kill a fish. any other special cautions to keep in mind?

thanks a lot

sensei

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@sensei I would never use formalin on any scaleless fish (same as copper). All other fish are going to be hit or miss. You can give one Yellow Tang a formalin bath and he does fine with it; the next one will have an adverse reaction and struggle in it. o_O

I wouldn't mix formalin with Prazipro due to the risk of a bacterial bloom occurring.

Humble,

I made a formalin bath to a tasseled file fish I got about 3 months ago and the fish died 4 days later. fish was eating fine before and still ate well 3 days after, but stopped in day 4 and died. not sure if the formalin was the one that killed him??

I am not sure if you have made a list of the scaleless fish so I can check everytime before I make a formalin bath?

Thanks again

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made a formalin bath to a tasseled file fish I got about 3 months ago and the fish died 4 days later. fish was eating fine before and still ate well 3 days after, but stopped in day 4 and died. not sure if the formalin was the one that killed him??

I am not sure if you have made a list of the scaleless fish so I can check everytime before I make a formalin bath?

Formalin works wonders, but the downside is some fish flat out can't take it.

Scaleless fish include sharks/rays, catfish, eels, hagfish, seahorses/pipefish, dragonets, puffers, frogfish, anglers, batfish (I'm sure there are others I'm forgetting.)

sensei

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Formalin works wonders, but the downside is some fish flat out can't take it.

Scaleless fish include sharks/rays, catfish, eels, hagfish, seahorses/pipefish, dragonets, puffers, frogfish, anglers, batfish (I'm sure there are others I'm forgetting.)
Thanks a lot Humble Fish!

puffy127

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some peers of mine have claimed success using formalin to treat velvet at the end of TTM, just as you are describing. They perform a 45 min formalin bath at the tail end of transfers 1 & 3. While it is certainly possible to eradicate velvet this way, I'll have to see it for myself in order to believe it. ;)

What's the theory of how this works?

Is a formalin bath at the tail end of transfers 1 & 3 the same as a formalin bath at transfers 2 & 4? In other words, as I perform transfer 2, I put it into a formalin bath first for 45 minutes and then into a clean tank 2?

Sanda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'm also keen to give this a go for treating velvet without chemicals: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/tank-transfer-method.192655/page-11#post-3549495

Hi Guys,

i have a massive issue with my new Achilles tang it catgut velvet and it is expanding quickly. I managed to get 37% formaldehyde solution, but cannot find anywhere a good instruction on how to do baths, what should be the dosage and treatment in QT. Can someone help with this?

Sanda

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a massive issue with my new Achilles tang it catgut velvet and it is expanding quickly. I managed to get 37% formaldehyde solution, but cannot find anywhere a good instruction on how to do baths, what should be the dosage and treatment in QT. Can someone help with this?

Use 20 drops per gallon and treat for a maximum of 45 minutes. Temperature control his bath water and aerate heavily. Remove from bath sooner if fish shows signs of being in distress.

More info here: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/formalin.290925/

Edit: Formaldehyde is a known carcinogen. Therefore, precautions must be taken when using it. Preventing your skin from coming in contact with it by wearing waterproof gloves and not breathing in any fumes by wearing a face mask is highly recommended.

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the correct dose of Formalin MS? Or just follow directions?

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the correct dose of Formalin MS? Or just follow directions?

It's 37% Formaldehyde, so 20 drops per gallon and treat for a max of 45 minutes.

In-tank treatment (not recommended) is 2 drops per gallon every 48 hrs.

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put my Tang in a bath for this eye problem. Think it maybe flukes.

3f3d68ffe9455a9cd88cfc7ec4a49297.jpg

2ee68c1dcfa2d64b5cd06f5c1c46ce53.jpg

4038020e30b0c5dbb4244e20db97ab6d.jpg

419f03b98043a31c1f15d6684e2bb910.jpg

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's 37% Formaldehyde, so 20 drops per gallon and treat for a max of 45 minutes.

In-tank treatment (not recommended) is 2 drops per gallon every 48 hrs.

Quoted for a bump on the above post. Thanks Humble

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does look like flukes in his eyes. In lieu of PraziPro, formalin should clear them but I would transfer the fish into a different QT post bath to prevent reinfection. You'll need to rinse & repeat this step in about a week.

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does look like flukes in his eyes. In lieu of PraziPro, formalin should clear them but I would transfer the fish into a different QT post bath to prevent reinfection. You'll need to rinse & repeat this step in about a week.

Awesome thanks!!

I hope my other fish don’t wind up with problems too.

ruppertb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
315bff400fd39dcc7051879268a7f98b.jpg
this seems to be the only thing fosters carries that I could pick up tommorw as far as formalin goes. Will this work as a 45 minute bath between tank transfers. And if I have to get different copper since I have ionic will this work just in case I can't get cp
54ffbc34f02cb365a2b58b54b8e2cdfd.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 16.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 53 52.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.9%
Back