OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm curious about the statement of fish not living past 18-24 months after being treated with formalin.

Its purely anecdotal. Started over on RC with 1 or 2 respected members (I forget who exactly) claiming their fish were dying mysteriously after 18-24 months. The common denominator was they both give all their fish formalin baths in-between TTM. This peaked my interest, so I contacted some people who I know use formalin during their QT protocol and at least 3 had a similar experience with some (but not all of the) fish they used formalin on. One even started performing necropsies and claimed to find malignant tumors growing over some of the internal organs. Maybe its related, maybe not? o_O

zed102

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Crossing my fingers, I am now at 20 months since finishing the Qt on my first fish (which all had Formalin baths prior to QT) and no deaths yet.

Hermie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish Why not include Hikari Ich-X Saltwater in the "approved" formalin list? Is there a brand preference here?

Check the SDS, it's diluted Formalin, which just means the bath has to be concentrated back up to the "regular formalin" levels...
http://www.hikariusa.com/safety.html
http://www.hikariusa.com/img/sds_sheets/sds_ichxsw.pdf

I mention Aquarium Solutions Ich-X (was not aware Hikari made a similar product).

But the reason neither are preferred is because they contain < 3% Formaldehyde. Thus their effectiveness is difficult to predict. Proper formalin contains 37% Formaldehyde.

Hermie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mention Aquarium Solutions Ich-X (was not aware Hikari made a similar product).

But the reason neither are preferred is because they contain < 3% Formaldehyde. Thus their effectiveness is difficult to predict. Proper formalin contains 37% Formaldehyde.
Okay understood, thanks

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
** IMPORTANT UPDATE **

Quick Cure has been removed from the "preferred" formalin list due to conflicting information found on their website regarding the percentage of formaldehyde found therein. Repeated emails to them requesting clarification have gone unanswered.

The good news is I have been testing straight 37% Formaldehyde (found on Amazon) with much success, so the beginning of the sticky now reads as follows:
In order for Formalin to be fully effective, the product you are using should contain 37% formaldehyde. At present time there is only one aquarium product which meets this criteria: Parasite-S (MSDS is here) from Syndel USA: https://www.syndel.com/parasite-s.html

You can also use straight 37% Formaldehyde (Amazon sells it - look for UPC grade), following these dosing instructions:

When using 37% formaldehyde dosages are as follows for marine environments above 70°F (otherwise follow directions on the product’s label):
1) In-tank treatment: 1 milliliter (ml) per 10 gallons, or 2 drops per gallon daily in a bare aquarium.
2) 30-45 minute bath treatment: 0.6 ml per gallon, or 12 drops per gallon. Aerate vigorously and treat at this concentration for no more than 45 minutes.

These are other products which contain formaldehyde (e.g. Quick Cure, Aquarium Solutions Ich-X, Kordon Rid-Ich Plus), but because these contain less than 37% formaldehyde their effectiveness is difficult to predict.

ReefWithCare

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
** IMPORTANT UPDATE **

Quick Cure has been removed from the "preferred" formalin list due to conflicting information found on their website regarding the percentage of formaldehyde found therein. Repeated emails to them requesting clarification have gone unanswered.

The good news is I have been testing straight 37% Formaldehyde (found on Amazon) which much success, so the beginning of the sticky now reads as follows:

Thank goodness. Man Fritz sucks - seriously [emoji41]

puffy127

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought a bottle a few weeks ago, but ended up not using it. Thank goodness.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Formalyn for me - a last resort although effective

I have success with furan and prazipro. for bacteria and wounds- Love API Melafix

deedubz

nuttier than a squirrel turd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Formalin-ms is what I used last year during fishpocalypse. 7-8 months later my two surviving clowns are still doing well :)

Matt32224

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
** IMPORTANT UPDATE **

The good news is I have been testing straight 37% Formaldehyde (found on Amazon) which much success, so the beginning of the sticky now reads as follows:
Great. I just finished treating 6 fish with it.

BryanD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use 4% paraformaldehyde to perfuse mice, which comes out to 10% fromalin. I wouldn't put that stuff anywhere NEAR my fish. Gotta be something better out there than that ....

deedubz

nuttier than a squirrel turd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use 4% paraformaldehyde to perfuse mice, which comes out to 10% fromalin. I wouldn't put that stuff anywhere NEAR my fish. Gotta be something better out there than that ....

I hear ya, but sometimes there's just no other option. I swore I'd never touch the stuff until I lost a dozen fish within a couple of days.. after hypo, copper, prazi, everything else under the sun, didn't do the trick. The two fish (clowns) that made it through the outbreak, and subsequent infections, are still kicking 7-8 months later. It's not ideal, but I'm grateful that they're still alive. Even if their lifespan is shortened they will have lived substantially longer than had I not used it.

It's a risk though, for sure. It's nasty stuff. It's all nasty stuff. Everything is poison, but it's better than watching fish die repeatedly to the same diseases that can be cured with said poison. I put stuff on my dogs that the label clearly states must never be handled by children or pregnant women. I'm sure it's every bit as toxic to me. That said, I'd rather use the stuff than have to deal with, or watch my pups suffer through, the consequences of not doing so.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Minor updates made to this sticky.

Primarily added this Amazon link on where to buy suitable formalin:

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And follow these dosage instructions for the above product:

When using 37% formaldehyde dosages are as follows for marine environments above 70°F (otherwise follow directions on the product’s label):

1) In-tank treatment: 1 milliliter (ml) per 10 gallons, or 2 drops per gallon daily in a bare aquarium.

2) 30-60 minute bath treatment: This works out to 0.6 ml per gallon, or 12 drops per gallon. You can actually treat for a maximum of 60 minutes if the fish seems to be handling the bath fine, but cut it short (30 minutes) if breathing becomes too heavy.

Last edited by a moderator:

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
You can dilute formaldehyde to a 37% solution OR Formalin has been renamed as Parasite-S but costly.
I use quick cure by aquarium Pharmaceuticals. Last place I found it was Big Al's Pets. Quick cure has a sister called AP Super ich plus which also contains formalin
1593654511603.png

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 44 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.8%
Back