Fotocha's BBB (Budget Breeder Build) 40 Gallon

Fotocha

I have nightmares of jumping fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So folks, I finally started this build today. This is a continuation of the Build ideas found here. Big tanks to @Dkeller_nc , @Sod Buster , @JoshH , @Phil D. , @Devaji for all their input. Wanted to give them credit for the help! :D

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/new-build-suggestions.571553/page-2#post-5859460

Long story short; I've out grown my Fluval Evo 13.5 and I was looking for a tank that would basically fit into the space I have in my basement and work into the budget I've been begrudgingly given. This, also will be a rather slow build, as I'm pulling teeth to being allowed to fund this. My wife isn't thrilled about me starting another tank. ;Blackeye

My goal ;Bookworm, ultimately will be to reuse, when possible, and replace my Evo with the 40 Breeder. Although, this will actually my 3rd tank, I'm going to try and document the transfer from one to other. I'm sure this will be as much as a learning experience as trial and error.

I'm looking for long term progression down the road :rolleyes:, but ideally on the short term this will be a softy, LPS, with a ton of Rock Flowers anemones mixed in. However as my EVO was all Anemone tank this more or less will be a complete restart in terms of corals.

Here is my rig plan:

Phase 1 (Main Tank) $261

Aqueon 40 Breeder $50

40 Gallon Tank stand $50

Eshopps PF-300 $90

Two Little Fishies ATL5410W 6-Piece Plastic Hose Clamp Set $11 Amazon

Eshopps AEO19025 Hose $27 Amazon

Marine color U- Tube $9 Amazon

Vinyl Tubing 3/4” 5’ $14

Phase 2 (Sump) $261

Aqueon 20L - $20

Fiji Cube Sump Baffle Kit - 20g $99

Reef Silicon $20-30

Sicce Pump 3.0 $90

Cobalt acu therm 150w $32

Phase 3 (Cycle) $135

Rock (added to existing rock from EVO, but may need more) 15lbs $60

Sand Fiji Pink $25

Black Elmers Foam Board to make into side panels for stand (4) $12

Magnetic tape $10

Ceramic Biomedia Plate 8X8X1 $28

Phase 4 (Light) $525

Aquavim 8bulb T5HO $365

8 Bulbs (haven't decided which at this point) $160

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 40g breeder setup similar to yours. Check out my tank thread below for the whole build.

I see a few places you can save money. You can get glass baffles cut at a glass shop for less. Get 1/4” glass and have the edges smoothed so there aren’t any sharp points.

You can replace the Sicce pump with a “Quiet One”, which is like a generic Sicce. Here’s the link on BRS https://aquarium.bulkreefsupply.com/search?w=Quiet one&asug=

If you want an LPS/softie tank, IMO you don’t need an 8-bulb fixture. I have a 4 bulb ATI for about the same price point as the 8 bulb you’re looking at. You can always add reefbrite leds if you need more light.

I don’t see a skimmer on your list, but I recommend the SCA-301, which is similar to a Reef Octopus.

Petco has $1/gallon sales from time to time. You could save $10 by waiting for one.

I used Glass Holes for my overflow and return. You have to drill the tank but I think you’ll be much happier in the long run.

Another think to think about is an Apex Jr. when budget allows. I’ll be able to add as many modules over time to run a 40g and it makes my life so much easier.

I did as much DIY as I could. It was fun and it saved money (except for the stand, mine cost way more than $50 to build). It’s worth it to waterproof the inside using a base coat of Kilz and then some enamel paint if the inside isn’t already finished. I caulked the seams in the stand too to make it waterproof.

I use plain Instant Ocean for salt and have no problems.

Let me know if you need any more help. Good luck!

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sure do love the 40brs. what stand did you go with and I am curious about the foam board. will it hold up to water spills.

my thoughts and feed back for what ever there worth:

might be a little bit more $$ but might I suggest a DIY 100% plywood stand. if i get to set up my 40br after its used for QTing that is what I hope to do. think it could be done for 125-150 depending on the price of plywood in your area.
just a thought ..I have my 40br on a metal petco double stand its working for quite some time but..one never knows.

i think your silicone is over priced as well I bet you can get away with one tube of GE 1 like 10 bucks or less. that would give you 10-20 extra for others stuff.

also if you need to save more $$ can get glass cut for baffles to make the sump should be 10-15 bucks its pretty easy I did one for my 40br sump I did a while back. i am sure there are lots of threads out there for the 20L.

I think the eshopes hose is over priced too. you can get food grade vynal tubing in black from BRS
https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/black-vinyl-tubing-sold-by-the-foot.html
depending on the amount you need and the size could be a "better" option for you.

on one 40 I build I did over the top return made out of 2 90 elbows painted black. then added some heavy duty Velcro to the rim of the tank help give me piece of mind.

good luck and keep us posted!

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 40g breeder setup similar to yours. Check out my tank thread below for the whole build.

I see a few places you can save money. You can get glass baffles cut at a glass shop for less. Get 1/4” glass and have the edges smoothed so there aren’t any sharp points.

You can replace the Sicce pump with a “Quiet One”, which is like a generic Sicce. Here’s the link on BRS https://aquarium.bulkreefsupply.com/search?w=Quiet one&asug=

If you want an LPS/softie tank, IMO you don’t need an 8-bulb fixture. I have a 4 bulb ATI for about the same price point as the 8 bulb you’re looking at. You can always add reefbrite leds if you need more light.

I don’t see a skimmer on your list, but I recommend the SCA-301, which is similar to a Reef Octopus.

Petco has $1/gallon sales from time to time. You could save $10 by waiting for one.

I used Glass Holes for my overflow and return. You have to drill the tank but I think you’ll be much happier in the long run.

Another think to think about is an Apex Jr. when budget allows. I’ll be able to add as many modules over time to run a 40g and it makes my life so much easier.

I did as much DIY as I could. It was fun and it saved money (except for the stand, mine cost way more than $50 to build). It’s worth it to waterproof the inside using a base coat of Kilz and then some enamel paint if the inside isn’t already finished. I caulked the seams in the stand too to make it waterproof.

I use plain Instant Ocean for salt and have no problems.

Let me know if you need any more help. Good luck!

hmm i will have to disagree with the quite one here. there known to fail I had one it stopped working around a year or so talking to the ppl at BRS they said they hear that alot.

I second a skimmer SCA 301 or 302 maybe even a DIY upflow ATS too!

OP
OP
Fotocha

Fotocha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So yesterday I went down to my local Petco and purchased a 40B and Stand.

One of the challenges that I faced with this build was due to where it's located. The basement is a multi family-house common room. It created special challenges that limit light mounting options. I wouldn't be able to drill into the ceiling or wall.

We have 6 adults and 2) 6 year olds living in this house. So even though I would like to build my own cabinet this was really the best option.

I painted the rear with black latex paint.

IMG_4378.jpeg
IMG_4379.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Fotocha

Fotocha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sure do love the 40brs. what stand did you go with and I am curious about the foam board. will it hold up to water spills.

my thoughts and feed back for what ever there worth:

might be a little bit more $$ but might I suggest a DIY 100% plywood stand. if i get to set up my 40br after its used for QTing that is what I hope to do. think it could be done for 125-150 depending on the price of plywood in your area.
just a thought ..I have my 40br on a metal petco double stand its working for quite some time but..one never knows.

i think your silicone is over priced as well I bet you can get away with one tube of GE 1 like 10 bucks or less. that would give you 10-20 extra for others stuff.

also if you need to save more $$ can get glass cut for baffles to make the sump should be 10-15 bucks its pretty easy I did one for my 40br sump I did a while back. i am sure there are lots of threads out there for the 20L.

I think the eshopes hose is over priced too. you can get food grade vynal tubing in black from BRS
https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/black-vinyl-tubing-sold-by-the-foot.html
depending on the amount you need and the size could be a "better" option for you.

on one 40 I build I did over the top return made out of 2 90 elbows painted black. then added some heavy duty Velcro to the rim of the tank help give me piece of mind.

good luck and keep us posted!

The Silicone, I factored in was for 2-3 tubes. I like to have a little extra on hand in case of leaks.

I'm actually curious about the foam board myself, but it is cheaper than starboard. I need to look into that closer to the time of the build.

I did prefer the plywood stand, but I felt it would be more tricky, considering wood tends to bow and swells even when dealing with hardwood. I know some people have used MDF, but I think this is the worst thing you could possible use for a tank stand. I've always had metal stands in my youth and this one is a big improvement from the classic rod iron ones from years past. I also considered reinforcing the stand before the final assembly, but at this point I'll play it by ear.

One of the things I really liked about the fuji box was the built in filter socks and the media baskets. I know, I could build them myself, but considering how, I'm very big on mechanical and chemical filtration seems like a little splurge for me.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Fotocha

Fotocha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hmm i will have to disagree with the quite one here. there known to fail I had one it stopped working around a year or so talking to the ppl at BRS they said they hear that alot.

Not part of my initial build, I was leaning towards getting a Bubble Magus Curve 5 skimmer. But, I planned on setting up this tank without the skimmer for a few months.

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Really? Mine has worked fine. They’re so inexpensive I’ll get an extra to have on hand. Granted my tank is less than two years old. I guess time will tell!

OP
OP
Fotocha

Fotocha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything sounds great, I’m currently working on a budget breeder myself ;)

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/my-big-beautiful-budget-breeder-build.405791/

Mine, was based heavily on your build as well. I already had an ink bird controller and I've added a few smart plugs to have more controllability. Not a big fan of the Apex controllers.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07F6X4KX3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I was curious about your side panels you made on your build @Retro Reefer , can you tell me how you made them? Do you think the Elmers board would work?

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great.

Making me want to do a build. Last one I did was 2008.

Keep those pix coming

OP
OP
Fotocha

Fotocha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@glb how much rock did you end up using for your build in your display and then in your sump?

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine, was based heavily on your build as well. I already had an ink bird controller and I've added a few smart plugs to have more controllability. Not a big fan of the Apex controllers.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07F6X4KX3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I was curious about your side panels you made on your build @Retro Reefer , can you tell me how you made them? Do you think the Elmers board would work?

I don’t have any panels on mine but I have seen people attach them with magnets.. not familiar with Elmer’s board but if it’s corrugated plastic it should be fine, cardboard not so much.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oops my mistake that was @dhof 's tank. Curious how he did it.
Is that the petco Brooklyn metal stand? I’m looking into getting it for my build too. Do you think it is strong and will be good ?

OP
OP
Fotocha

Fotocha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that the petco Brooklyn metal stand? I’m looking into getting it for my build too. Do you think it is strong and will be good ?

Yes it is. Seems to be strong enough. It has self leveling feet which is a nice feature.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 33.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 16.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back