OP
Fotocha

Fotocha

I have nightmares of jumping fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I've experienced a few rough feeding sessions with this tank.

Leaving the pumps on while feeding, the food would be gone (down the overflow) in less than 10 secs. So, I needed to cut the Sump pump and wave makers. Created a few issues; First was having it drop about 3 gallons down into the sump after a siphon was created.

Even though I drilled a hole into the return nozzle when I first setup the tank, it only slowed the siphon, but never created enough air to fully stop it by itself; eventually stopping when the nozzle end was partially exposed.

I could have dealt with the above, however the main issue really was when I started the return pump back up it would blast the "ever loving you know what" :confused: out of the inhabitants.

Finally got tired of it and found this check valve sold on Amazon. Works great, no more feeding issues! :D I should have put in the check valve from the get go. Lesson learned.

IMG_4615.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Fotocha

Fotocha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ATO update:

So I purchased a kit from Autotopoff.com, I was honestly worried how it would come out. However the reviews were very positive. So I went with it.

It came about 7 days from ordering. Wrapped in the local cities newspaper and brown paper for protection. Very DYI. It comes with various sizes of black zip ties (I added a few more lol)

But I gotta say, I love it!!!

IMG_4746.jpeg

Here is after I put it together. It comes with 2 float switches, and the connected junction box to regulate min and max water levels.

IMG_4747.jpeg

It appears it was fabricated with a 3D printer of some sort. Here is a video that allowed me to make the call.

I decided with to go with an aqua lifter pump. $40 Pump and bought a $7 hang on for it. I also found this $13 black air tubing with little clips. Again I'm super happy with the results. It's quiet and very responsive.

IMG_8971.JPG

I've been storing fresh water in this stackable 3 gallon bottles that I found at Walmart. I used a pilot drill bit and made a small hole in the cap of the bottle. I left about 5 ft of extra air tubing in case I decided I wanted to move the ATO reservoir. The best part about this setup is; I don't have to pour water into reservoir, just move the tubing and into another bottle and rotate my supply. If I do decided (another reservoir) for something else, Walmart also sells replacement caps if I wanted to return the container to just water storage.

IMG_2569.JPG

anew2thereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Reefers...

So i'm looking to go about this same route, I have same stand and tank. But before I drill I wanted to ask a few questions... How close could I drill to the ends of the tank? I'm thinking about drilling the tanks return line pretty close to the end of it, since I would like to add a 90 return loc line with a RFG on it. and on that same side a maxspect 330 pushing all that water to the over flow... Maxspects sits off the glass at 2.6 inches. What do you think? I added a picture of where I'm at before I drill...

OP
OP
Fotocha

Fotocha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Reefers...

So i'm looking to go about this same route, I have same stand and tank. But before I drill I wanted to ask a few questions... How close could I drill to the ends of the tank? I'm thinking about drilling the tanks return line pretty close to the end of it, since I would like to add a 90 return loc line with a RFG on it. and on that same side a maxspect 330 pushing all that water to the over flow... Maxspects sits off the glass at 2.6 inches. What do you think? I added a picture of where I'm at before I drill...

Well I choose not to drill mine. Why not just put your overflow in the middle Maxspect on the opposite side of your return. Then you'll have 2 currents flowing into your overflow.

anew2thereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking that! But I think it would be to way too much flow for a tank this size...this how far I’m in, I have to drill yet.. (just a template) that’s why I’m think a jecod 1000 pump and a 20 gallon high sump and the same place you bought your baffles from.. @Fotocha

anew2thereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking that! But I think it would be to way too much flow for a tank this size...this how far I’m in, I have to drill yet.. (just a template) that’s why I’m think a jecod 1000 pump and a 20 gallon high sump and the same place you bought your baffles from.. @Fotocha

anew2thereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

OP
OP
Fotocha

Fotocha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Well the sump pump alone is almost enough. To be honest if you have that power head it might be overkill. I’ve got my power heads set to half power and it still kicks up the sand

anew2thereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1c0efe9c80d477c5492f95caf471b9f5.jpg

Really [emoji848]... maybe a jecod 1000 would be too much then... I just want some movement in the tank. My only fear is in that corner where the return and the gyre would be at, would be a dead spot! Sometimes I think if I drill the return next to the overflow pushing a slight bit against the gyre or pointing a little below might do the trick..

OP
OP
Fotocha

Fotocha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it looks like my tank has gotten past the uglies phase and starting to level out. Just got a whole bunch of snails from @reefcleaners to help with the leftovers. Also picked up an emerald crab. :D

IMG_5360.JPG

Snitch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good -

I've used that same ATO for years without issue on multiple systems, for the money, it really can't be beat.

How do you like the stand? Is it sturdy? I'm going to be setting up a breeder soon, that stand kind of matches a lot of the decor in my home, but I'm hesitant to buy it. I've been thinking of building my own...

OP
OP
Fotocha

Fotocha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good -

I've used that same ATO for years without issue on multiple systems, for the money, it really can't be beat.

How do you like the stand? Is it sturdy? I'm going to be setting up a breeder soon, that stand kind of matches a lot of the decor in my home, but I'm hesitant to buy it. I've been thinking of building my own...

The one thing I would change about the ATO is having some kind of little suction cup at the base to keep in straight against the glass.

As far as the stand goes. Its Perfect! I couldn't have made one any better. Especially in the sump area. I used the stands mid section to suspend items rather than just hang them on the back of the sump. For the money, you can't build one cheaper or sturdy (I'm a carpenter). Aesthetics wise unless, you just want the look of wood or perhaps if you wanting a matching canopy; that's the only reason I would recommend something else. I'll be honest for what it is Petco should really charge more for it.

Snitch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good info - thanks. I’m torn between building something or going with a prefab since I don’t know if I’ll be going with a sump or not, I have equipment to go either way, I like both options but it will be an aesthetic thing for my wife. Plus - we have a 60 lb puppy / moose running around so whatever route I go needs to be super sturdy.

OP
OP
Fotocha

Fotocha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good info - thanks. I’m torn between building something or going with a prefab since I don’t know if I’ll be going with a sump or not, I have equipment to go either way, I like both options but it will be an aesthetic thing for my wife. Plus - we have a 60 lb puppy / moose running around so whatever route I go needs to be super sturdy.

Well I live in New England and we know about moose. I’ll say the only thing I would have to consider for your wife is the doors you would have to make yourself. I have a 20 gallon long underneath the display tank. It really is a good fit .

As far as the door panels are pictured the ones that I made from Walmart were pretty good . However if I get it again I would probably buy plastic panels that I found at Home Depot and paint them black.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 67 35.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back