Found a cheap, properly shape/size ATO reservoir

smoleral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone! Just wanted to share what I’m now using as an ATO reservoir. I, like many others, have very limited space in my tank cabinet, so finding a reservoir that holds a decent amount of water but also takes up a small amount of space has been a challenge. I have a solid foot of space between the cabinet wall and my sump, so yes a 5 gallon bucket would probably fit in there if I wanted to drain down my sump so that it’s light enough to move over, but my lazy butt didn’t want to do that, I’d rather find a container that is slim enough so that I can take it in and out as needed. Even though I have that foot of space, there’s really only about 5-6 inches of space to move a container past the edge of the sump and into the cabinet. I also am not a fan of spending $100+ on a fancy acrylic reservoir.

Anyways, I found this pet food dispenser for $19.99 at PetSmart. I was surprised to find out that this thing holds a full 4 gallons of water (advertised on the container as 16 quarts). It’s only about 5 inches wide, so it easily slides in and out of the cabinet. While they don’t advertise the lid as being airtight, it fits on pretty nicely and I have used the spout on top (which is made for pouring dog/cat food) as the opening for the pump tubing and wire. Overall the spout is barely open, so I think this lid will prevent most of the evaporation. Here are some pictures. Have a nice day people.

01B81235-E3B3-4AAB-9622-8A3C16E56A6F.jpeg
27F9BD0E-63AF-4AE5-8C4D-75FCBD0DE7D8.jpeg

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool! I use a Charcoal container that looks almost the same. it works great.

SuperDave531

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found mine at Target, both the cubby basket and the coke bottle colored reservoir container. Since my tank sits in front of a mirror and it doesn’t have a background I wanted to keep the rear of the tank free of any kind of plumbing or cabling lines. I am also running a can and no sump; the tank isn’t drilled nor is there any real space in the cabinet underneath for any kind of workable sump.
27E6FB0F-1F72-4D93-980E-DEFB21BE5BD9.jpeg

Otherwise it’s very unsuspecting. It holds about 2.5g and lasts me between 5-6 days. Easy enough for me to walk over to the utility room and refill it with a little 2g bucket

2351A66B-BBE8-4C2C-A354-EFF1E33CDDB8.jpeg
I also have 2 toddlers in the house so everything has to be out of sight and locked up tight.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 38.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back