FOWLR stocking - Whats the must have fish?

Bepis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where did you get yours? I haven’t seen one for about 3 yrs now
Early last year I saw a gorgeous specimen go up on DD but I don’t have one. tive bred specimens are repeatedly available.
@Biota_Marine or @AlgaeBarn do you guys have any batches coming in any time soon?

Bepis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also a blue face angelfish are super pretty

Value Reef Supply

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Harlequin Tusk
HarlequinTusk2016080701.jpg
HarlequinTusk2016080801.jpg
Any luck with this guy in a reef environment

OP
OP
KevinC

KevinC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ugh got a new blue face and regal, the regal not doing well in 2 days copper, starting to float :(
At this rate I might as well as buy from TSM

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
9AF82EC3-7BB5-4A03-9B6E-FD8E00B4C8C4.jpeg

Often skipped-over: H. Singularis. Mine is the size of my hand, fingers outstretched. A colorful, always-active fish. I have him in a 150-gallon FOWLER.

Flame2hawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ugh got a new blue face and regal, the regal not doing well in 2 days copper, starting to float :(
Having success w/copper and sensitive species centers around type of copper and patience. Have had success using copper power and taking up to 2 wks to get to therapeutic levels.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are no problem in a reef other than not well feed specimens will eat ornamental shrimps. Reefers have to take care adding small animals into the tank. Dazed disoriented small animals are irresistible for a Tusk.
fortunately they go to sleep early, and I use acclimating box. I put the new addition in there for a few days and release him in early evening once the Tusk went to bed. And keep the light on longer than normal so the new fish have a chance to settle in for the night.
feed the Tusk well and you won’t have any problem.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With my new out of quarantined regal angel starting to nip at my SPS, I have decided to dedicate my 180g to a FOWLR tank! (upgrading to 400g in about 1 yr when my friend upgrade). I have since decided on the stock list, with the main focus being peaceful and angelfish!

Now, I need some help with my future stocking list!

My List so far: ***italic not gotten yet*** ***Bold being future purchase (hopefully)***
angelfishtangsanthaiswrasseMisc.
red sea regalpowder blue4x Bimac3x Blue star leopard3x Royal gramma
Flame angelAchilles2x LyretailFlamemoorish idol
Blue face Gemsunburstmystery 2x True percs.
Flamebackblue spot jawfish
Banditcopper band
Conspicuous
Bellus

any suggestion to what I should add/subtract? Also... what light would be good for this FOWLR tank? I was thinking 3 viparspectra as it is cheap and the fish probably doesn't care (I do might add a small Colorado sunburst anemone tho). For the small fish, I can pretty much move to reef tank if anything goes out of hand.
The Achilles and Powder blues will be highly aggressive and due to them being in the same complex, it may not fare well with both of them.
Mystery wrasses and other wrasses are HUGE no, they’re vicious when they want to be, especially to other cave dwellers such as Cirrhilabrus and Paracheilinus.
Thallassoma, Coris, Pseudocheilinus are all BAD moves with other wrasses in the tank, especially when the others are peaceful like leopards.

So everyone’s mentioning Hawaiian endemic species, has hawaii taken off the ban or something? Because unless that’s happened the ONLY way to get Hawaiian endemics such as the Hawaiian Dragon Eel, Flame Wrasse, Red Tailed Tamarin Wrasse ect… is through someone breaking down a tank and if they do sell them, you won’t be rich for long haha.
IMO tusks and other wrasses are risky and unless your wrasse is a $30 lubbocki I wouldn’t personally risk it. P.S. I don’t have any hate towards the lubbocks it was just the first wrasse that was cheap and came to my mind.

These fish are HIGHLY sensitive to copper, too high of a level and they get Copper Burns on their gills which will impact their life (This is the biggest reason I don’t QT and let the LFS do it). I would recommend a tilefish however in the semi-aggressive environment you’re starting to create, it wouldn’t go down well. I’d probably skip the CBB and other peaceful fish because of this. Triggers dont do well with peaceful fish, I find fowlrs are better for semi aggressive fish and reefs are best to be left with smaller tangs, rabbitfish and peaceful guys like CBBs.

Also, Jade wrasses (Again, other wrasse and you can have an issue) are a good remover of pests but you wouldn’t have a need for that in a FOWLR, they’re beautiful (I have a transitional phase male at the moment) and I will admit that however their aggression isn’t as nice. Any sand bed plans? If not then skip Leopards, Tamarins, Coris, Halichoeres ect…

OP
OP
KevinC

KevinC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been a long time since posting this thread! Unfortunately things didn't go as planned haha. Sourcing the fish is one, at an affordable price is second, and getting fish thru quarantine is just so tiring and... sad. At this point Im pretty confident to say I lost more money to fish than acros! (Who said FOWLR tank are cheaper than reef tanks??)

smaller fish on the list made it into my reef tank instead, figure it'd be weird for small fish and large fish to be together.

the plan for the future is, ofcourse, making sure everything is healthy, absolutely disease free, before going into the tank! So stuff MUST be quarantined even "above standard" in a sense since I would love to add a conspicuous angels in the future and the tank will mainly focus on angels.

instead of the CBB, I opt for an golden butterfly fish! It is truly an eye catching fish

FAHADREEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With my new out of quarantined regal angel starting to nip at my SPS, I have decided to dedicate my 180g to a FOWLR tank! (upgrading to 400g in about 1 yr when my friend upgrade). I have since decided on the stock list, with the main focus being peaceful and angelfish!

My List so far: ***italic not gotten yet*** ***Bold being future purchase (hopefully)***
Banditcopper band
Conspicuous
Bellus

any suggestion to what I should add/subtract? Also... what light would be good for this FOWLR tank? I was thinking 3 viparspectra as it is cheap and the fish probably doesn't care (I do might add a small Colorado sunburst anemone tho). For the small fish, I can pretty much move to reef tank if anything goes out of hand.

Banditcopper band
Conspicuous
Bellus

unless your getting the moorish idol and copperband eating before it gets baged up go for it one of the best to have but if not i honestly don't recommend them they are so difficult to keep especially moorish idol becuase they travel in groups in the wild and getting one is setting up for a early death.

I recommend pooter angel, blonde naso ans magestics angels

OP
OP
KevinC

KevinC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
unless your getting the moorish idol and copperband eating before it gets baged up go for it one of the best to have but if not i honestly don't recommend them they are so difficult to keep especially moorish idol becuase they travel in groups in the wild and getting one is setting up for a early death.

I recommend pooter angel, blonde naso ans magestics angels
Yup cbb is history, and I'm still thinking about the moorish. I have actually seen a Eating moorish in the LFS, but it is so small. I'd only settle with a big one.

blonde naso are nice, but I do think they are too large and active! And getting a potter angel now is impossible :(

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always keep my HT in my larger reef. Now I have a bay started out at 1.25 inches in my 40 gal breeder. He is about 2.5 inches now and will go to my 320 DT the next time I mess with my frag tank.

Sleepingtiger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My list if I had a FOWLR on a limited budget

Emperor angel
Blueface angel
Asfur angel
Moorish Idol

If I had extra money

True personifer angel male
scribbled angel
black tang
achilles tang
Semilarvartus butterfly (group of 3)

If I got to keep my annual bonus
conspicillatus angel
wrought iron butterfly (pictures don't do this fish any justice)
cherry anthias (group of 10)
Kingi angel

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Semilarvartus butterfly (group of 3)
These guys have upped in price!

I’m sure they used to be double digits at one point over there? I know over here last time I saw juveniles they were the equivalent to about $46.36.

Back