OP
Mini Coop

Mini Coop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks both of you! I seriously could cry I was so excited not to see anything on him! I was planning a second QT tank and all kinds of things! Stressed about having to do that when what I want to do is keep working on getting my DT up and running as perfectly as possible! Hopefully all stays clear and in the next week and a half, I will have the other 2 back in!

OP
OP
Mini Coop

Mini Coop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I swear I feel bipolar! Light came on at 3, and across the tank he swam with a big white dot by his black spot. It looks like it is hanging off of him a bit. I will try to get a pic. Nothing on the clowns still . . . might see another little white spot on him on the same side, but not positive. Got that sinking feeling in my gut again along with that "There is no way this could have happened" feeling . . . . to be continued. . . I am guessing again that we just sit and wait and if it gets worse I need to get them all out.

Ich can't live on anything else in my tank, right?

I am also wondering - planning for worst case scenario - I will probably have to get them a separate QT tank?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I swear I feel bipolar! Light came on at 3, and across the tank he swam with a big white dot by his black spot. It looks like it is hanging off of him a bit. I will try to get a pic. Nothing on the clowns still . . . might see another little white spot on him on the same side, but not positive. Got that sinking feeling in my gut again along with that "There is no way this could have happened" feeling . . . . to be continued. . . I am guessing again that we just sit and wait and if it gets worse I need to get them all out.

Ich can't live on anything else in my tank, right?

I am also wondering - planning for worst case scenario - I will probably have to get them a separate QT tank?

it's probably just sand stuck to his slime coat which is why it looks like it's hanging off of him a bit.

yes, you would have to get a sepperate QT for them if they needed to come back out or else put them in the QT with the others and start the 30 day clock over again. The second, exposes the other fish to copper much longer than is ideal.

OP
OP
Mini Coop

Mini Coop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok - thought I would give an update. I had to leave on an emergency trip to CA with my mom. My uncle passed away unexpectedly, and we had to go take care of his things. My husband did an amazing job while I was gone, including trying to get the new top off system sensors to the right spot where it won't get air bubbles on it so it will work, and calibrating my new refractometer for me! :) He is really getting into the technical side of this, and enjoying it!!

Anyway - Nick looks good! No more spots that richard has seen while I was gone (5 days). I am doing water changes now, including changing the water in the QT to get the copper out. (They were in longer than 30 days becuase of my trip). I will monitor them for 2 weeks, and then we should be in business!! :) I am so so so thankful that it looks like the DT will be ok, and not have to go fallow again!! :) I'll post more on a new thread when I finally get to put them back in!

Hope you all are doing well. Thank you for keeping me sane through this!

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok - thought I would give an update. I had to leave on an emergency trip to CA with my mom. My uncle passed away unexpectedly, and we had to go take care of his things. My husband did an amazing job while I was gone, including trying to get the new top off system sensors to the right spot where it won't get air bubbles on it so it will work, and calibrating my new refractometer for me! :) He is really getting into the technical side of this, and enjoying it!!

Anyway - Nick looks good! No more spots that richard has seen while I was gone (5 days). I am doing water changes now, including changing the water in the QT to get the copper out. (They were in longer than 30 days becuase of my trip). I will monitor them for 2 weeks, and then we should be in business!! :) I am so so so thankful that it looks like the DT will be ok, and not have to go fallow again!! :) I'll post more on a new thread when I finally get to put them back in!

Hope you all are doing well. Thank you for keeping me sane through this!
I'm sorry for the death in the family, but I'm glad the fish seems to be doing well!

OP
OP
Mini Coop

Mini Coop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry for the death in the family, but I'm glad the fish seems to be doing well!
Thank you. I am glad too. I saw another white spot toward his tail on the side of his body today - again looks like it might be hanging off of him. I am assuming if it was ick - after 2+ weeks of seeing the first spot and transferring to the DT, it would have spread quite much more than one spot every now and again . . . correct? It must be sand he is picking up when he is hiding. He is still pretty skiddish. I wonder if when I get his buddy, the sailfin back in, if he will come out more.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. I am glad too. I saw another white spot toward his tail on the side of his body today - again looks like it might be hanging off of him. I am assuming if it was ick - after 2+ weeks of seeing the first spot and transferring to the DT, it would have spread quite much more than one spot every now and again . . . correct? It must be sand he is picking up when he is hiding. He is still pretty skiddish. I wonder if when I get his buddy, the sailfin back in, if he will come out more.
I see white spots on my hippo tang fairly regularly. Drives me nuts. They never stay for more than a day but makes me cringe every time.

OP
OP
Mini Coop

Mini Coop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Friends!!!

1 week to go until Miss Sailfin "Judy" can go into the main tank. Transferred out of copper last week with 3 water changes every other day. She is doing great, but has these marks above her eyes like she has been beat up. She has had them for a little while. I am wondering if she could have gotten these when she and the foxface weren't getting along, or if these are normal wear and tear, or if she might have something wrong - just being extra cautious since we have come this far!

I randomly lost the firefish last week! Parameters of tank are fine, Judy is fine, he was eating the night before, everything was great, he had no signs of anything wrong, and the next morning, he was laying at the bottom of the tank with his mouth open! Do you think the sailfin would have picked on him enough to kill him? Just curious if anyone has input.

Foxface is doing well! Any white spots have been little bits of sand - I have seen them fall off, and he has only had 2-3 total in the past 3 weeks. I will record a live video when I get to put her in the tank! :)

Jena

IMG_6198.JPG

IMG_6200.JPG

OP
OP
Mini Coop

Mini Coop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great. I have kent garlic extreme - is this a good suppliment?

Garlic is only useful as an appetite stimulant. I would use something like Selcon, Zoecon, Vita-chem, etc.

And as long as no other white spots or anything show up in the next week, she is good to go, right?

How long has she been in copper? 4 weeks?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
She is doing great, but has these marks above her eyes like she has been beat up.
Agreed with Humble... that's HLLE
Great. I have kent garlic extreme - is this a good suppliment?

No, garlic isn't a vitamin supplement. You can use something like Vitachem or Selcon (as examples) to soak their food in.

OP
OP
Mini Coop

Mini Coop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Garlic is only useful as an appetite stimulant. I would use something like Selcon, Zoecon, Vita-chem, etc.

How long has she been in copper? 4 weeks?
She was in copper for 35 days at 2ppm and slowly transferred copper out last weekend over 3 days via water changes - copper level has been at .25 (not completely out) for 7 days.

OP
OP
Mini Coop

Mini Coop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also - I treated with Prazi Pro before copper - do i need to do that again before she goes to dT?

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 34 45.9%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 16 21.6%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 18 24.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.1%
Back