Foxface > disease or injury?

PhilM

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My foxface is showing an injury or disease ring on its left flank behind the gills. It does not appear to protrude, but is flat. It has developed over the last 2 days. The fish is acting normal, eating well, and active. I have closely inspected the other fish (tangs, clowns, cardinals) and do not see any issues. I also have nems, banded coral shrimp, and a fire shrimp in this tank. I would really appreciate your suggestions on what this is, how to treat it, and if I need to move the foxface to my small quarantine tank.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Foxface_disease_or_injury.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
My foxface is showing an injury or disease ring on its left flank behind the gills. It does not appear to protrude, but is flat. It has developed over the last 2 days. The fish is acting normal, eating well, and active. I have closely inspected the other fish (tangs, clowns, cardinals) and do not see any issues. I also have nems, banded coral shrimp, and a fire shrimp in this tank. I would really appreciate your suggestions on what this is, how to treat it, and if I need to move the foxface to my small quarantine tank.

Appears to an injury or even sting from coral. This fish has a nice slime coat and should heal on its own However keep an eye on it for any development of rash or infection. It would be a good time to get seachem Kanaplex on hand should it become infected

OP
OP
P

PhilM

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Appears to an injury or even sting from coral. This fish has a nice slime coat and should heal on its own However keep an eye on it for any development of rash or infection. It would be a good time to get seachem Kanaplex on hand should it become infected
Thank you for your very helpful and fast response. It is somewhat of a relief. I will watch all the fish carefully for the next week or so. All fish looking healthy and active this AM with no other marks visible on the foxface or others.

If I need to use SeaChem KanaPlex I assume it should be in a hospital tank as I believe it is not suitable for a display tank due to its bad effects on inverts. Please confirm. Is Ruby Rally Pro an alternative for treating right in the display tank? I am concerned that moving fish may cause additional stress and that other fish may be infected.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Thank you for your very helpful and fast response. It is somewhat of a relief. I will watch all the fish carefully for the next week or so. All fish looking healthy and active this AM with no other marks visible on the foxface or others.

If I need to use SeaChem KanaPlex I assume it should be in a hospital tank as I believe it is not suitable for a display tank due to its bad effects on inverts. Please confirm. Is Ruby Rally Pro an alternative for treating right in the display tank? I am concerned that moving fish may cause additional stress and that other fish may be infected.
Moving a fish is minimum stress unless you are aggressive with netting. Kanaplex in separate quarantine tank

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What tangs do you have in with it? Looks like a tang tail strike that has had a tissue reaction/infection.
It will most likely heal on its own.

Jay

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jay, There is a Tomini and a Gem tang, both quite a bit smaller than the foxface.
Zebrasomas have larger, sharper scalpels, and are good at using them - my bet is the gem then.
Jay

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 2.9%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 51 29.1%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 37 21.1%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 20 11.4%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 60 34.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back