Foxface Lo Tank Size Question

dublinreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a fully grown scribbled rabbitfish who is about 6 inches long and bought a foxface lo a few months ago that is about 4 inches long and is growing fast. My tank is a custom made 165 gallon that is 4 feet by 2.5 by 2.5 feet and I am worried that the tank will be too small for the fully grown foxface if it gets bigger than the scribbled rabbitfish. I am aware that the minimum tank size stated online is said to be 125 gallons but I am worried that the foxface may struggle in my tank with 4 feet of horizontal swimmimg space.

The other inhabitants are:
Copperband Butterfly
Tomini Tang
Dusky Wrasse
6 Line Wrasse
2 Bangai Cardinals
3 Clownfish
Firefish

Any thoughts on if this stocking of the foxface with the other fish is viable for the long term would be great.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the lo is similar in habits as the one spot, they really aren't as much of a lateral swimmer, like tangs for instance. I have a one spot and honestly he utilizes about half the length of a 6 foot tank. I've seen lo's be similar in their more hovering type swimming style vs a lateral swim. He's in there now so only time will tell, I wouldn't worry about it prematurely.

bam123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These fish love to swim. Increase the current A LOT. I run an MP40 or similar across the tank at 90 percent on a 5 foot tank and they love to fight the current.

OP
OP
D

dublinreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the lo is similar in habits as the one spot, they really aren't as much of a lateral swimmer, like tangs for instance. I have a one spot and honestly he utilizes about half the length of a 6 foot tank. I've seen lo's be similar in their more hovering type swimming style vs a lateral swim. He's in there now so only time will tell, I wouldn't worry about it prematurely.
Hi Lion King, thanks for the response. Yeh I've certainly noticed this with my scribbled rabbitfish who does not seem to pace up and down the tank like a tang does. So I'm hopeful that the foxface will be happy in the tank also when he is fully grown.

OP
OP
D

dublinreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These fish love to swim. Increase the current A LOT. I run an MP40 or similar across the tank at 90 percent on a 5 foot tank and they love to fight the current.
Hi bam123, thanks for the reply. I have seen this behaviour sort of in the foxface actually. He loves to fight against the current from the gyre when he is trying his best to eat the algae growing on the power head. I have to say these fish are such characters. And algae eating machines.

OP
OP
D

dublinreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your perfectly fine with a foxface in that size tank. Mine in my 210 barely swims around.
Great to hear Dbichler. Absolutely love the peaceful demeanor of these fish. I have to say I think fish from the rabbitfish genus are completely underrated when compared to tangs.

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing less than a 5ft 100 IMO but that’s just me. I say this because they seem to grow faster than Zebrasoma Tangs.

However, I think it will be fine as many have also told me they aren’t as active as many Tangs. 2.5’ + 4’= 6.5’ (195cm). Should be fine.

And I agree they’re very underrated. I’m currently deciding between a Foxface and a Trigger, if I can find a Foxface (preferably One Spot) at a smaller size that would be great.

I’d say a minimum of a 4ft 75 for a smaller Cthenochaetus, but 90+ is ideal. TBH instead of a standard 75 a 48” x 20” x 20” gives 80 gallons which IMO are better dimensions.

Naso 10ft

Sailfins 8ft

Powder XX, Achilles 6ft

Mimic, Convict, Lavender 5ft

Chevron 5ft

Larger Acanthurus 8-10ft

A minimum of a 5ft 100 for a smaller Zebrasoma (all except the Sailfins), 5 ft 120+ even better. Same for the Rabbitfish.

Just my thoughts so don’t spit water at me ahaha.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

dublinreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing less than a 5ft 100 IMO but that’s just me. I say this because they seem to grow faster than Zebrasoma Tangs.

However, I think it will be fine as many have also told me they aren’t as active as many Tangs. 2.5’ + 4’= 6.5’ (195cm). Should be fine.

And I agree they’re very underrated. I’m currently deciding between a Foxface and a Trigger, if I can find a Foxface (preferably One Spot) at a smaller size that would be great.

I’d say a minimum of a 4ft 75 for a smaller Cthenochaetus, but 90+ is ideal. TBH instead of a standard 75 a 48” x 20” x 20” gives 80 gallons which IMO are better dimensions.

Naso 10ft

Sailfins 8ft

Powder XX, Achilles 6ft

Mimic, Convict, Lavender 5ft

Chevron 5ft

Larger Acanthurus 8-10ft

A minimum of a 5ft 100 for a smaller Zebrasoma (all except the Sailfins), 5 ft 120+ even better. Same for the Rabbitfish.

Just my thoughts so don’t spit water at me ahaha.
Thx Zionas for the reply. I'd have to recommend the foxface. Brilliant algae eaters also. All depends on ur system as well but if u have a reef I belief the blue throat triggers are the best triggers. The frustrating thing about triggers and some wrasses(including my dusky wrasse) is that they love to eat clean up crew. My wrasse even ate my 2 cleaner shrimp.

OP
OP
D

dublinreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you believe they’re two separate species that get to different sizes? That’s the age old mystery for me, I know they’re basically the same fish care wise ut’s Just the size.
Yes this is certainly a mystery and there isnt a consensus within the scientific community either. I'm honestly not convinced that they are separate species as I've seen some supposedly foxface lo's with a very slight blackish blotching around the area of the usual black spot which suggests that maybe some foxfaces develop darker blotches than others. I've even seen an example of a foxface who had a black spot as a juvenile which completely disappeared by the time it was fully grown.

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I suspect as more DNA analysis is done there will be more conclusive research. When it comes to the geographic distribution, I believe the One Spot variant has a somewhat more northern distribution than the Lo, so perhaps it’s the northern variant rather than a separate species.

Did you read a study that says Scopas and Yellow Tangs may not be different species after all? A Canadian group of scientists did DNA sequencing for Scopas and Z. Flasvescens and found over 99% DNA in common, plus they have been known to hybridize and some Scopas are just as yellow as Yellow Tangs. It’s unclear whether the Yellow is a variant of the Scopas, or the other way around. The Black Tang, Z. Rostratum, may also be just another variant of either the Yellow or Scopas as suggested by Rudie Kuiter.

There’s also debate over whether the Velifreum and Desjardini Sailfins are actually one species.

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about the clean up crew. I didn’t know Halichoeres could be a threat to them, but according to evolved ones like the Yellow Coris are generally pretty safe though IMO you have some really nice looking ones that are green and red.

OP
OP
D

dublinreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I suspect as more DNA analysis is done there will be more conclusive research. When it comes to the geographic distribution, I believe the One Spot variant has a somewhat more northern distribution than the Lo, so perhaps it’s the northern variant rather than a separate species.

Did you read a study that says Scopas and Yellow Tangs may not be different species after all? A Canadian group of scientists did DNA sequencing for Scopas and Z. Flasvescens and found over 99% DNA in common, plus they have been known to hybridize and some Scopas are just as yellow as Yellow Tangs. It’s unclear whether the Yellow is a variant of the Scopas, or the other way around. The Black Tang, Z. Rostratum, may also be just another variant of either the Yellow or Scopas as suggested by Rudie Kuiter.

There’s also debate over whether the Velifreum and Desjardini Sailfins are actually one species.
Interesting to hear about the different distribution of the two species. The problem with DNA comparisons between closely related species is that usually there is very little difference in their DNA. For example, humans share 98.8% of their DNA with chimpanzees so imagine how close the comparison would be between the one spot and the Lo.

OP
OP
D

dublinreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about the clean up crew. I didn’t know Halichoeres could be a threat to them, but according to evolved ones like the Yellow Coris are generally pretty safe though IMO you have some really nice looking ones that are green and red.
Yeh I think the yellow coris tends to be a bit safer with CUC. I think it just depends on the size of the fish. My dusky wrasse is about 5 or six inches so is not intimidated by any size of invertebrate at this point.

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see. I still think it’s a really pretty fish. There are so many species of Halichoeres that don’t really make their way into our tanks.

Interesting that you’re from Ireland. What’s the hobby like in your country?

OP
OP
D

dublinreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see. I still think it’s a really pretty fish. There are so many species of Halichoeres that don’t really make their way into our tanks.

Interesting that you’re from Ireland. What’s the hobby like in your country?
Reefing is still a very small and unknown hobby here. There is only really one marine aquarium shop in the whole country which is luckily close to where I live. Freshwater aquariums are much more common and fish and corals tend to be more expensive here in comparison to the U.K and U.S. I would love to see the hobby grow here and for more shops and reefers to appear. As a matter of fact I stumbled across this hobby by pure accident as I bought the house I'm in now about a year and a half ago and the previous owners left us with their aquarium including fish and corals. So over the past 12 months I have really started to take an interest and am now completely hooked. What's the reefing scene like in Hong Kong? Much more popular I guess?

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as I know the reefing scene in HK is quite big. I’m actually not in HK but currently based just across the border in Guangzhou, China. I’m Chinese-Canadian. I really hope the hobby in your place can grow. One marine aquarium shop sounds like agony. Do they have a good and healthy selection of livestock though?

OP
OP
D

dublinreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as I know the reefing scene in HK is quite big. I’m actually not in HK but currently based just across the border in Guangzhou, China. I’m Chinese-Canadian. I really hope the hobby in your place can grow. One marine aquarium shop sounds like agony. Do they have a good and healthy selection of livestock though?
Yeh I have to say they have some really good suppliers especially for fish but rare corals i say are harder to source. But for me who's basically a beginner it's ok as simple soft and lps corals is all that really interests me. They also seem to have a good quarantine process for their fish which is always a positive.

Back