Foxface vs Tang space requirements.

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking at a Foxface as an algae eater and alternative to a Tang. I wonder if there are any differences in temperament between Foxfaces and most Tangs, and most of all, their activity levels and use of space. Pictures and videos (if possible) would be helpful for me to see how a Foxface uses space compared to a Tang. Are they active, horizontal swimmers that go back and forth all day?

One advantage I am thinking of a Foxface over a Tang would be that it’s less likely to harass and become aggressive over time to my focal fish which will be a CB Regal pair.

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I am looking at a Foxface as an algae eater and alternative to a Tang. I wonder if there are any differences in temperament between Foxfaces and most Tangs, and most of all, their activity levels and use of space. Pictures and videos (if possible) would be helpful for me to see how a Foxface uses space compared to a Tang. Are they active, horizontal swimmers that go back and forth all day?

One advantage I am thinking of a Foxface over a Tang would be that it’s less likely to harass and become aggressive over time to my focal fish which will be a CB Regal pair.
From my understanding Foxfaces are typically classified as generally less aggressive than tangs. Size wise, the Foxface will be around 8" when full grown with some exceptions whereas tangs will generally be larger, so depending on the size of the tank, a foxface may be easier to house.

However, there are some reports of Foxfaces being potential coral eaters if they get hungry.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a proud rabbitfish owner, I can help with an answer to this question. I have owned two foxfaces personally and have kept three in a display tank at my LFS. Foxfaces ignore EVERYTHING they’re the peacekeepers, any fight and the foxface is in between. Their swimming pattern? Lazy. They don’t swim ANYWHERE near as much as a tang will, foxfaces are more of a perching fish that will perch, I’ll grab a video of my foxface’s swimming pattern and then try grab one of my tang.

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
is this the case for all foxfaces? or is one species smaller than others?
From what I was looking at just yesterday the typical foxface you'll find in stores (yellow white and black) they are 8". There are a few others that can be found that get larger, but they're harder to find.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is this the case for all foxfaces? or is one species smaller than others?
Some species get bigger and others stay smaller.
Max wild sizes for the rabbitfish blabbered foxface are below:
- S. Magnificus Aka the Magnificent foxface will get to 9 inches
- S. uspi Aka the bicolor foxface will get to 9.4 inches
- S. vulpinus Aka the Lo foxface will get to around 9 inches
- S. unimaculatus Aka the one spot foxface will get to 8 inches
- S. niger Aka the tongan black foxface will get to around 9 inches

Reminder: this is their max wild size, I don’t believe any will get this big in captivity within a year or two. They have VERY slow growth rates and I’d expect most to hit 6-7 inch then stop growing or slow down in growth.

Lbrdsoxfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm also in the Foxface club. Currently have a Lo & a Gold Spot rabbitfish. Overall peaceful, not huge swimmers. They have all the upsides of the tangs without the usual territorial aggression that tangs have. Captivity, they usually end up about 6-7 inches as a max. They are pigs as eaters like tangs, so they do bring a high bioload to a tank. Otherwise, they are fairly slow grazers. They tend to spook easily, so be mindful when your hand is in the tank.
20211112_084850_HDR~2.jpg

OP
OP
Zionas

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My system will not have a high bioload overall, the only other larger fish will be a pair of Yellow Belly Regals (from Bali Aquarich). Both of your Rabbitfish look great. Other than the Foxfaces my favorite is probably Siganus Doliatus but they’re much harder to find.

I’m glad for you to confirm they’re not as aggressive and territorial as Tangs. I think one or more territorial Tangs would give my angels (my favorites) a hard time.

MrTPlush

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They don't swim as much as a tang would or as speedy....so space requirements are lower.

Not an aggressive fish...at least one spot and Lo. I guess I can't speak for the others. Due to their venomous spikes they are really more of a defensive fish than an aggressor. They don't need to use aggression to 'survive' so to speak. Foxface's are really cool because they don't harass other fish and won't get harassed. So they work with pretty much any combination of fish.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My system will not have a high bioload overall, the only other larger fish will be a pair of Yellow Belly Regals (from Bali Aquarich). Both of your Rabbitfish look great. Other than the Foxfaces my favorite is probably Siganus Doliatus but they’re much harder to find.

I’m glad for you to confirm they’re not as aggressive and territorial as Tangs. I think one or more territorial Tangs would give my angels (my favorites) a hard time.
You should be just fine, these fish completely ignore anything unless someone bothers it :)

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s nice. :) From what I can see in your videos, the Tang seems more nervous overall and this is a Bristletooth. It seems to dash around more than the Foxface which swims, then hovers, then swims again.
Yeah, I think he was more hungry due to how it’s always me feeding but yes, he definitely swims much more and grazes whilst he swims. The foxface takes a good 3-4 bites of the rock/back glass when he grazes.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my 6 line can be a bully at times to a chromis until my foxface puts a stop to it and then all 3 swim around nicely together.
My foxface is very similar, when my Jade and iridis wrasses chase eachother, he tends to swim in between it and stop it.
My tang went after him the other day (Flared up colours and everything) and his spines went up but the tang still nipped at them, then the foxface just swam to the other side of the tank with him and it was like nothing happened.

Steve Tung

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I got a medium foxface magnificent eat crazy algae
$130
Pick up college point NY

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a medium foxface magnificent eat crazy algae
$130
Pick up college point NY
Mine was bought at 3” and was £99 ($135.07), now 4.5-5” two years later, they’re excellent algae eaters. Mine did a better job at GHA than my C. binotatus did (Although he is more of a film/SHA eater).
My LFS has a 2” S. magnificus that was £99 aswell so the prices have gone up in those two years of me owning my Foxface I guess. I don’t think I’d own anything other than a Tongan black or a Magnificent, my plan is to eventually grab a Tongan black and a magnificent but that’s not for a while.

Lbrdsoxfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The prices have certainly gone up! I paid 40 bucks for the Lo almost 2 years ago he was 3.5" inches and 60 for the gold spot back in Sept 2021 it was already a full 5.5 - 6 inches. Much as I love rabbitfish, I couldn't see my self spending over 100 bucks for any fish (with a FEW exceptions).

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The prices have certainly gone up! I paid 40 bucks for the Lo almost 2 years ago he was 3.5" inches and 60 for the gold spot back in Sept 2021 it was already a full 5.5 - 6 inches. Much as I love rabbitfish, I couldn't see my self spending over 100 bucks for any fish (with a FEW exceptions).
Haha, it’s the same here, those exceptions being a magnificent and a Tongan black, maybe a corallinus

Back