Foxface White Abobe eye?

SiganusVulpinus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone

This forum has been of more help to me then I’ll never be able to explain. However, I’ve encountered a problem for which I can’t seem to find a solution.

This morning I woke up and my Foxface (my favourite fish...) has a white mark on his side and above his eye. He has had little white bumps before (not many, just a few) and I treated him for ich and velvet back then.

My purple tang (Zebrasoma Xanthurum) had a similar white blotch on his left cheek a few weeks ago (like he was dipped in mayonaise). I thought it was the start of HLLE but it has faded and now it’s barely visible.

Could this be related? Has anyone any idea of what this could be?

Here is a video since my pictures were blurry:

I’m kind of freaking out. I love all my fish but this one is extra special. He is the reason I wanted an aquarium when I was a child and still is my favourite. He even eats out of my hand...

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to read this. I hope the combined knowledge of the reefers here can help.
FCD8E86A-53EA-48B8-A4A3-01EC402BD163.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I can't really see anything with its eye. I do see what looks like some protruding sclera of the eye. That can result from minor damage (a bump) or it can be the start of exophthalmos, (popeye). The spot on its body looks too large to be ich. That is likely a minor injury, possibly from getting hit by a tang's tail spine. Both issues bear watching, but I dodn't see a treatment needed at this point.

Jay

OP
OP
S

SiganusVulpinus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I can't really see anything with its eye. I do see what looks like some protruding sclera of the eye. That can result from minor damage (a bump) or it can be the start of exophthalmos, (popeye). The spot on its body looks too large to be ich. That is likely a minor injury, possibly from getting hit by a tang's tail spine. Both issues bear watching, but I dodn't see a treatment needed at this point.

Jay
Thanks! It seems it’s probably HLLE. My siganus is doing better but now my hippo tang and my purple tang are getting white patches under their eyes and on their cheeks (see photo) .

I removed the Red Sea carbon. No stray voltage and they get good quality food... water parameters good too. Can’t understand what’s causing this...

I’ll keep this thread updated so others might benefit
Any ideas/experience are of course always welcome!
1E2BB5D3-98B6-4DFA-9C53-315ACC5C6535.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can get a clearer picture taken under white light it would help, but that does look like the start of HLLE, or another related syndrome called epithelial thinning. Removing carbon is a start, but sometimes, the carbon dust that is already in the tank keeps the HLLE growing. Stray voltage is a red herring, that doesn't cause HLLE. The jury is stil out about diet....

Jay

OP
OP
S

SiganusVulpinus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can get a clearer picture taken under white light it would help, but that does look like the start of HLLE, or another related syndrome called epithelial thinning. Removing carbon is a start, but sometimes, the carbon dust that is already in the tank keeps the HLLE growing. Stray voltage is a red herring, that doesn't cause HLLE. The jury is stil out about diet....

Jay
Thanks for the reply. Must be the carbon then... I pushed my phone over the limit I think but my fish safari was a moderate succes...
I snapped some semi clear pics and 2 usable videos:

C4B019EE-4C18-48AD-AD2C-2964FFE16A76.jpeg

D9C29B0C-6588-414C-A55C-4A56620B502A.jpeg

D56E7634-6752-48E9-9CA5-8748B8EC3C13.jpeg

968D47B8-8EB9-4118-B073-D945D69543AF.jpeg

0B902259-3BCF-4DE9-9251-A0A06B0BCC2B.jpeg

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 32.8%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back