Frag system in basement?

Southpawblues

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m setting up an approximately 300 gallon propagation system and planning on doing this in my basement. I have the ideal room for this but my AC/heating unit is also in this room. Not so much concerned with temp as it stays pretty constant in this room. I’m wondering if over time the evaporation would potentially rust out the AC/ Heating unit. Anyone with thoughts on this or experience doing this? Thanks a million!

_DZ_r€€f

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have all my filtration and couple tanks in basement with Ac and furnace there with no problem the only thing u need is free standing dehumidifie. Without it you can expect lots of condensation on ducts in the summer, And also some mold build up.

Reefer40b

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have all my filtration and couple tanks in basement with Ac and furnace there with no problem the only thing u need is free standing dehumidifie. Without it you can expect lots of condensation on ducts in the summer, And also some mold build up.
I think this will really depend on where you live, dryer climates with low humidity you shouldn't need anything.

I’m setting up an approximately 300 gallon propagation system and planning on doing this in my basement. I have the ideal room for this but my AC/heating unit is also in this room. Not so much concerned with temp as it stays pretty constant in this room. I’m wondering if over time the evaporation would potentially rust out the AC/ Heating unit. Anyone with thoughts on this or experience doing this? Thanks a million!

Maybe if the tank was placed right near the heater you may have some rust issues but if not then you should be fine.

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd be more concerned about the ph bc of higher co2 levels in this room bc of the furnace. If its gas anyway.

Reefs and Geeks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a 150 and 30 in my basment near my furnace/ac. As long as you're not getting any salt creep onto the duct work there's no issue. My 150 is only maybe a foot away from the duct work and have had no issues.

jeffm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have about 400 gallons in my basement furnace room. It started as just a sump feeding my DT upstairs and then I added on tanks. :) It's been up for about 6 years and I haven't noticed any issues. I think because the furnace room is well ventilated that helps a lot! I also live in a dry climate.

I have a separate frag system in an unfinished room also in the basement. I have noticed A LOT more moisture in this room. More surface area means more evaporation! This room has about 500 gallons but it's all 12" prop tanks with a lot of surface area. I even run a mid-sized dehumidifier in that room but it's not really enough. I'm going to add a few vents/exhaust fans.

JustinC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
as an HVAC professional, id have just a couple questions, is it gas or a heat pump and "how close" is the indoor unit to the tank? As others have said depending on your climate and where you live you will most likely want a dehumidifier some where down there as well. Anytime the rooms is over 60% humidity its possible you could get a mold problem if you don't watch out. Also make sure it has some ventilation so the co2 from general respiration does not drive down your ph from a lack of fresh air in the basement.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 69 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.8%
Back