Frag tank and sump help

corey.nolta

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 25, 2015
Messages
312
Reaction score
94
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two tanks (20L and a 10) as well as extra equipment laying around. Was thinking about setting up a small frag tank with sump separate from my main setup. I have a question regarding the sump. Does a frag tank sump need to have baffles? Or can I just have it all open? Basically it's just to keep all my equipment out of the frag tank. Probably a piece of rock or two. Would a 20L frag tank even need a sump? Thoughts?
Thanks!!
 
There does not have to be baffles in it since there is no refugium section
Does it need a sump? No
But as you said it will house your equipment so yes :)
 
You don't need them but they help. If you add a skimmer baffles help keep at least one compartment with a stable water level for it. Same goes for a heater if you have it in a way that could be exposed. Typically we put the return pumps on their own compartment so they're the only ones with a fluctuating water level and it allows to control water volumes easier.
 
So here is the set up I ended up deciding on. I did not add the sump. I didn't think that drilling the tanks (and buying the diamond hole saw), buying the plumbing, prime/cement, etc etc was worth the extra whopping 10 gallons. I wanted to keep the set up pretty minimal, so here it is....
Equipment:
HOB skimmer ran by a maxijet 1200
Heater
Powerhead (maxijet 1200)
Auto top off system that is ran right into my 65 gallon RO/DI storage tank, which is just off to the left
I have the output from skimmer running into a small filter sock (to help with micro-bubbles) as well as a bag of carbon
Live rock, currently about 5 pounds. But if I move forward with the frag tank, I will be adding a 10 pound rock covered in red 'shrooms
Planning on having a maroon clown and some CUC

Thoughts on this set up for a small frag tank? Would probably mainly be LPS and softies. Maybe a few SPS. Nothing major though.

I kept all the equipment in one spot because if it's decided this isn't a sufficient enough frag tank set up, my next thought was to still put the clown in there and purchase another carpet nem. Then i could put up a egg crate "wall" to keep the nem out of all the equipment :)

Let's hear your thoughts!

Photo Aug 24, 6 32 35 PM.jpg
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 9 5.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 13 7.6%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 15.8%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 58 33.9%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 12 7.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 12 7.0%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 26 15.2%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 12 7.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new