Frag tank build

Guttersnipe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi reef2reef! This will be my first frag tank so I would like to document the build process. It will be a grow out tank for most of the sps in my current tank. At the moment it is packed with a bunch of frags that I got a couple of years back when I wanted to try sps. Once I realized I was able to keep Sps alive I put in a few higher end corals. This frag tank will be used to keep all the cuttings from my tank. I will only be keeping a few selected high end pieces on my next tank.
Below is my frag tank that I bought off a member on the other reefing forum. At the moment my equipment list is :
ATI 8x54 watt dimmable fixture with 48 inch reefbrite 3 watt/led fixture.
Powerhead is one reef octopus op4
Ato is tunze osmolator
Return pump is fluval sp4, made in Italy.
Skimmer is reef octopus sro 2000
Dosing pump is ghl 3 head doser.
This is in my garage so I will be adding a chiller/heater too. I just ordered a teco 500.
I will be dosing two part esv b-ionic and esv magnesium.
Here is the setup. I will keep updating as the frags grow. I’m am still waiting on my Brightwell xport brick for biological filtration. As soon as it’s cycled and my chiller is here I will be putting frags in there.
54C23FB4-FA69-4F60-9AC3-97E3D7077F9E.jpeg

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks for sharing! Is that a 50g lowboy? If not, can you tell us more about the tank? Also, you mentioned that the tank is in a non-climatized garage, what are the temperature swings in your area and how much heating/chilling will you need to offset those swings?

Reefer40b

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What type of board is that under the sump and tank? Cant really tell but if its either particle board or MDF I would recommend changing that, If its plywood your good.

OP
OP
Guttersnipe

Guttersnipe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing! Is that a 50g lowboy? If not, can you tell us more about the tank? Also, you mentioned that the tank is in a non-climatized garage, what are the temperature swings in your area and how much heating/chilling will you need to offset those swings?
The tank is a lowboy. I’m in souther California so it gets pretty cold in the morning and late at night. But warm in the afternoon. I’m not exactly sure how much chilling I would need. I think for the most part it should be pretty stable in the mid to high 70s.
The teco chiller comes standard with a heater.

The Aquatic Arsenal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you thought about going with a mkni-split instead of a chiller. They are actually pretty easy to install. I have a two car garage with several systems and that is one of the best investments I have made beside my while house generator. Plus a chiller will just heat into your garage as well.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Have you thought about going with a mkni-split instead of a chiller. They are actually pretty easy to install. I have a two car garage with several systems and that is one of the best investments I have made beside my while house generator. Plus a chiller will just heat into your garage as well.

+1. I was wondering the same thing if a mini-split AC system had been considered (also called ductless AC system).

OP
OP
Guttersnipe

Guttersnipe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never heard of that. But will definitely look into it.
At this point I’m not sure how much the chiller is going to have to run cause it’s getting cooler out here in SoCal. But if it does have to run enough to put out too much heat in the room thought about keeping it in a cabinet with exhaust that will tie into the exhaust of my dryer.

The Aquatic Arsenal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never heard of that. But will definitely look into it.
At this point I’m not sure how much the chiller is going to have to run cause it’s getting cooler out here in SoCal. But if it does have to run enough to put out too much heat in the room thought about keeping it in a cabinet with exhaust that will tie into the exhaust of my dryer.
Hooking it up to the exhaust would be a really good idea, I didn't even think about that.

OP
OP
Guttersnipe

Guttersnipe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What fish would you recommend for my frag tank? I would like to buy them all at once so there won’t be any bullying.

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s what I’m thinking of picking up for the tank. Six line wrasse, fox face, rock blenny, and a dozen snails.
what do you think of this list?
Can’t go wrong with a pair of ocellaris and some banghai cardinals as well

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Do you have a link to the one you purchased? Looking to do the same as well.

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi reef2reef! This will be my first frag tank so I would like to document the build process. It will be a grow out tank for most of the sps in my current tank. At the moment it is packed with a bunch of frags that I got a couple of years back when I wanted to try sps. Once I realized I was able to keep Sps alive I put in a few higher end corals. This frag tank will be used to keep all the cuttings from my tank. I will only be keeping a few selected high end pieces on my next tank.
Below is my frag tank that I bought off a member on the other reefing forum. At the moment my equipment list is :
ATI 8x54 watt dimmable fixture with 48 inch reefbrite 3 watt/led fixture.
Powerhead is one reef octopus op4
Ato is tunze osmolator
Return pump is fluval sp4, made in Italy.
Skimmer is reef octopus sro 2000
Dosing pump is ghl 3 head doser.
This is in my garage so I will be adding a chiller/heater too. I just ordered a teco 500.
I will be dosing two part esv b-ionic and esv magnesium.
Here is the setup. I will keep updating as the frags grow. I’m am still waiting on my Brightwell xport brick for biological filtration. As soon as it’s cycled and my chiller is here I will be putting frags in there.
54C23FB4-FA69-4F60-9AC3-97E3D7077F9E.jpeg

Looking good! Looking forward to progress pics!

Tuan Vu

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where did you get the frag tank and stand from? Can you provide some info on that built/acquire process as well?

OP
OP
Guttersnipe

Guttersnipe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where did you get the frag tank and stand from? Can you provide some info on that built/acquire process as well?
The tank is a lowboy drilled at one end of the tank like peninsula style. I got it off a member from a different reef forum. It was a really good deal. It came with the drilled tank with eshoppes ghost overflow, advanced acrylic sump, reef octopus 200 skimmer, stand, and ati 48 inch 8 bulb dimmable fixture and fluval sp4 return pump for $600. Once I got the tank plumbed, I bought a tunze ato, 48 inch reef brite, teco chiller, and reef octo pulse 4 for flow. I had a ghl dose I wasn’t using so that will also be going on this set up.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 37.0%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back