Frag Tank Help Please!!

quicksil328

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok everyone, i need some advice/help with my frag tank. I am not seeing very good growth. Most corals seem ok but not flourishing like I would have hoped. I am wondering if PH is the problem??? First a little info. Tank is a 45 gal peninsula ( approx 12 inches deep) draining into a 20 gal sump. Filtering with an SCA 302 skimmer (had lying around) and returns with Reef Octopus varios. Using Tunze auto top off. I would say i have a medium flow rate in the tank between the return and the Jebao rw 8 wave maker. Tank is lit with 2 54 watt Aquamaxx Nemo lights on approximately 80 % blues and 30 % whites on an 8hr cycle. I also mounted a Wattshine 180 watt “black” box over one side (about 18 inches above water level) to try and start more light demanding corals. Currently only using the blue channel at about 60 percent.

Water Parameters:
Salinity 1.027 checked with refractometer
Ammonia-0
Nitrite-0
Nitrate 3ppm
Phosphate was zero last test but ran out of reagent
Calcium 600
Alkalinity-9.9 dkh
Magnesium-1350
PH-7.7
I have an airline connected to the skimmer running out a nearby window to help draw in fresh air.
I know a lot of people say to not chase Ph but I have to admit it is bugging me. I just did a fairly large water change 2 days ago which raised my Calcium and alkalinity numbers and also my salinity ended up being higher than I planned. I will have the salinity corrected shortly. I have B-Ionic and was planning on beginning the 2 part regimen but I will wait until my alkalinity numbers drop.

Coral frags:
1 hammer
1 pagoda cup
1 candy cane
1 pocillopora
3 zoa
1 neon green play
2 gsp
1 photosythnthetic gorgonian
1 hairy mushroom

Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated.

OP
OP
quicksil328

quicksil328

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using IO reef crystals. As far as food I use BRS reef chili and spot feed some pe mysis.

Here is a pic (sorry for poor quality) of the trumpet coral looking kinda shriveled over the last few days.

401750E0-A1A8-4A83-A3C1-36754ED8F57A.jpeg

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Big fan of Reef Roids & frozen eggs.
Haven't used IO Crystals, but have had pretty good luck with Red Sea Coral Pro. They claim to have all of the micro nutrients needed for most corals.
Usually run at 1.025 at 78 degrees.

OP
OP
quicksil328

quicksil328

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using reef crystals for awhile and never thought it was the problem. I live in PA so since its cold and with the windows shut I thought it might be a co2 problem from the family and dogs.

mstockmaster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Test phosphate again, if it's actually zero then that's likely your problem. You need some phosphate in the system for most of the corals you've listed. Heck all corals need some phosphate, even if it's at low levels.

OP
OP
quicksil328

quicksil328

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What time of day was the pH measurement, and how did you measure it?
Hi Randy

I measured in the morning, afternoon, and then evening before lights out. I am using a Salifert test kit to measure. No recognizable difference in color after testing at the various times.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back