Frag tank question?

WVReefJunkie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 24, 2015
Messages
2,141
Reaction score
408
Location
West Virginia
What state or country do you live in
West Virginia
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I have a 20 long Frag tank where I have live rock Rubble in the bottom of it. I have noticed a lot of Frag tangs are bare bottom. I am having a problem with detritus collecting in the bottom of the tank. What would be pro and cons of eliminating the live rock? Thanks.
 
Stand alone. I had a hair algea outbreak, and was caused by build up of nutrients. I like the rock in the bottom, because if I add soft corals it is easy to attach them. I don't like the detritus collecting in the bottom. Iam not running a sump or skimmer.
 
The saying goes ' You cant have your cake and eat it too" If your FT is not hooked to a sump , you must be much more diligent on your husbandry.
Pull out the rock. Place a HOB skimmer on it. And I would run a HOB Power filter with carbon and rock rubble.
 
Any thought about plumbing into your main system? So much easier to maintain one big system imo. If not, could also think about running a bigger frag tank.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 2 33.3%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 1 16.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new