Fraggin Ric's

ca2or

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am curious. I have read on a few occassions that you can simply cut them like a pizza getting some mouth in every cut. Is that true?

I am not ready to frag yet but I would like to know for when I am

Sorry for the lame pic's. I will take more tomorrow when the MH is on. Only my actinic's were on so they are quite blue...don't really show the color all that well.

IMG_1316.jpg

IMG_1314.jpg

IMG_1313.jpg

0126001358c.jpg

nayrgaijin

Aquaculture Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes! Start with just doing half and watching how it heels though. Just because it's your first time around.

OP
OP
ca2or

ca2or

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am so nervous....I know these rainbow's are a bit pricey compared to some of the others. But I want more....MORE.....MORE:waaaht:

nayrgaijin

Aquaculture Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hahaha I definitely wouldn't start with a rainbow as my first Ric fragging experience!
All the ones I have done have been quite successful, I've also found it easier for them to attach to rocks when you put holes in a container and some rubble in there for them to attach to.
Good Luck!

OP
OP
ca2or

ca2or

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of container? I only have a 60 cube so I don't have a ton of space.

luke33

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lame pics?????? You have an awesome collection goin on there, looks great! And definately try this on a less expensive shroom to start with.

EliteReefs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yup like most said above. just cut away. but be warned. once you get the hang of it it can be rather addicting. before you know it you will be cutting everything in your tank lol

BayCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, use a very sharp scissor and one slice down the middle. Then use a thumb tack (Super glue will not work) to secure them on the rock until the ric attaches itself to the rock.

Last edited:

Kbra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you use a razor blade and just press down across the mouth thus cutting it in half but maybe still leaving it attached to the original rock?

EliteReefs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you use this same method on Yuma's?

yes you can however yumss dont always take to it as well as rics do. just like rics dont take to it as well as regualr shrooms do. all can be done that way but the success in my opinion goes down quite a bit. if i cut ten shroom i have no doubt i will have 20 when i'm done. if i cut 10 rics or yumas i'm sure to lose a few of them most of the time

rng_pw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what I used to do is get a small tuperware container and fill it with large rubble or snail shells. I then cut the rics (like a pizza and put them into the tupperware and cover with mesh so that they dont blow out but food can still go in. This way the small chunks dont fly all over the tank and they have something to attatch to. Good luck

Ricky,

I

inactive

View Badges
Fl rics frag better than anything IMO. Some yumas do great, others don't. I've cut up lots and lots of all mushrooms!

xraided199

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
most comments are correct on this one. its funny how i used to be SO afraid to cut anythin in my tanks. now, i think i'm gonna have my right hand surgically replaced with a razor so i can be ready to slice anythin and everythin. as for mush, ric, yuma, FL, i have had luck wit basically all of them, but definitely mushrooms and rics more than the rest.

i'm sure to each his (or hers) own. it'll be nerve wracking the first time doin it, but you'll easily get the hang of it and never ever stop and every single large colony in your tank of whatever species or coral will be on some type of plug, shell, or piece of rock. jus dont try this with fish...not too sure you can get two flame angels from that one you got. hmmm...maybe tryin somethin new tonight...haha jus playin

have fun and be safe!

OP
OP
ca2or

ca2or

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW....thank you all for the responces....seems I will be getting my hands wet, and loose most my fingernails for a few days.

puntific

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes you can however yumss dont always take to it as well as rics do. just like rics dont take to it as well as regualr shrooms do. all can be done that way but the success in my opinion goes down quite a bit. if i cut ten shroom i have no doubt i will have 20 when i'm done. if i cut 10 rics or yumas i'm sure to lose a few of them most of the time

I don't think I've ever lost a Yuma except to "fell off rock and the current blew it away. I take mine on a frag plug and put a sharp chissel on it and wack it with a hammer. Yes, I know it's a softy... but it breaks the frag plug too, and now I have two halves of a mushroom ALREADY ATTACHED!

puntific

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 71 43.3%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 58 35.4%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 24 14.6%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.2%
Back