Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I frag my toadstool in my tank or will it hurt anything? Already posted in fragging discussion trying to cover all my bases. Leather owners can it be fragged in a mixed reef? What do I do to prevent harm to other inhabitants?

32216023-9AB7-4C6E-8568-57CC8AE84A4A.jpeg 6F53CEF0-4326-49F0-8704-360E729C3B7C.jpeg

Nigel35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen reefers just cut the leather with a knife give it a dip and glue it to a plug. Make sure your running a carbon source. I would give it a revive and/or an iodine dip to help it make a smooth recovery.

Nigel

Nigel35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a fellow reefers method of fragging leathers:

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a fellow reefers method of fragging leathers:

The rubber band can work. I have had limited success with that method. If it comes loose, sometimes hard to find. A little plastic basket with a lid and rock rubble has been more consistent for me.

Nigel35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The rubber band can work. I have had limited success with that method. If it comes loose, sometimes hard to find. A little plastic basket with a lid and rock rubble has been more consistent for me.
Agreed. Something to give the little fellow some time to adjust and reset, gives it a bit of an edge

GeoSquid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might depend on how big your tank is. I have a 180 gal tank and I just snip what I want off the leather right in the tank. I've never had any problems. I rarely run carbon.

OP
OP
Zoa_Fanatic

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! Sometimes they shed or slime depending on softie, just something to be aware of. Lost a couple frags so bought a $10 frag basket. That is pretty fool proof and also keeps urchins and fish at bay, lol
My frags have some polyps open today but some of them look brown and mad even though it’s a Tyree green toadstool. Is that normal?

Nigel35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you take a picture? A little brown and I wouldn't be surprised. As others have mentioned leathers can excrete a slime/shed while getting settled. Much like Xenia take a little bit of time to get healthy when fragged. Have you dipped the frags at all?

OP
OP
Zoa_Fanatic

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you take a picture? A little brown and I wouldn't be surprised. As others have mentioned leathers can excrete a slime/shed while getting settled. Much like Xenia take a little bit of time to get healthy when fragged. Have you dipped the frags at all?
Yeah In iodine. The mother is starting to send polyps back out and some of the small frags are sending out polyps. One straight up melted but the other three look ok. Please ignore the finger leather chiling there

image.jpg image.jpg

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah In iodine. The mother is starting to send polyps back out and some of the small frags are sending out polyps. One straight up melted but the other three look ok. Please ignore the finger leather chiling there

image.jpg image.jpg
Looks as I would expect! It may take a few days to get back into shape.

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about the frags? Will they make it?
Probably. keep In mind the base color of a tyree toadstool is tan, not green. I see some grumpy frags that look like they are fresh cut. Sometimes they make it, sometime the don’t. At this point i think you have done what you can do. Keep them on the bottom and let them recover. I had a tyree toadstool stay closed for like two months due to a fish picking at it. Three weeks after I removed the fish it was back to looking great and 6 weeks after removing the fish it had doubled in size.

they are really tough. in the off chance that these frags don’t survive, you can make more soon.

ApoIsland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might depend on how big your tank is. I have a 180 gal tank and I just snip what I want off the leather right in the tank. I've never had any problems. I rarely run carbon.
I do this as well. I have a 120g and just cut up multiples at the same time in the tank with no issues.

I have never run carbon and never sanitized any cutting utensils.

I found the toothpick method works best for me with regard to attaching new frags to rocks/plugs. After I stick it through the frag I glue one end of the toothpick to the rock, and then half break/bend the other end so the toadstool cant slide off. Super quick and easy.

After a few days when the toadstool is attached to the rock/plug I snip off the rest of the toothpick sticking out of the toadie. The coral eventually grows around the remaining toothpick and you cant see any part of it.

OP
OP
Zoa_Fanatic

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These were cut like 24 hours ago, right?
Yeah basically. This is what they looked like before I moved them to the frag rack. I think they got ticked from too much light

Attachments

• 1BEB3394-800E-4328-A282-C16527F489DD.jpeg
    1BEB3394-800E-4328-A282-C16527F489DD.jpeg
    127.5 KB · Views: 43

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 58 50.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 64 55.2%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 27 23.3%
  • None.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.8%
Back