Freaking PBT attitude…

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for advice…

Hey so I know PBTs are nasty. Mine was supposed to be the last fish but with the crash I had to move her in there sooner with the re start and an issue popping up in my QT tank (fixed now). I added a regal a month ago, some bullying now they are good. I released my new tusk and she went after him non stop for 5 minutes. Tore his fins up and he has a few tail strikes on his body. He is currently laying in the acclimation box as I was able to get him but cant catch my little tank terror to put her in fishy time out. How long do I keep him in the box before trying again? I dont want her to kill him and I want to keep him safe. She just really doesnt like him for some reason, Ive added other fish with her before but this was the worst Ive seen her.

Yes I know they are nasty fish, I did a ton of research on them. Im just looking for some help with this tusk. Got some videos of him and his strikes, worried about him. Had him for 2 days now. Drip acclimated him for a couple hours. @vetteguy53081 do you have any tips with getting him in the tank and minimize Flo (my PBT) attacking him non stop?

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Try the mirror method! Place a mirror right on the glass panel so it can see its reflection and this should give the husk time .

And to be honest brother fishes laying on the side from my experience never make it .

Others will chime in with experience good luck

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try the mirror method! Place a mirror right on the glass panel so it can see its reflection and this should give the husk time .
Tusk is a timid specie despite his look. Unless the tank is massive, it’s either the PBT or the tusk at this pt. One of them has to be moved to a different tank. Tusk won’t make it in that little thing for too long.

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tusk is a timid specie despite his look. Unless the tank is massive, it’s either the PBT or the tusk at this pt. One of them has to be moved to a different tank. Tusk won’t make it in that little thing for too long.
I have a 70 gallon that I can move the tusk too temporarily as I know that wont be a forever home for him when he gets bigger. And most of what I read and saw was that they were aggressive?

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

And to be honest brother fishes laying on the side from my experience never make it .

Others will chime in with experience good luck
Yeah he has been doing that the box the whole time so I figured the space would help him. And it did until Flo (that bleep word) saw him and went nuts

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
I have a 70 gallon that I can move the tusk too temporarily as I know that wont be a forever home for him when he gets bigger. And most of what I read and saw was that they were aggressive?
Let me put it this way, I have 1 4” sailfin and 2 3” yellow tangs , and when I introduced my PBT to my tank they all attempted to attack it . I gave it a day and I was going to intervene but the PBT HELD its own and didn’t stand down. It was stronger and faster than all of them . Then it stopped . What I’m saying is the PBT is one heck of a fish . I can only imagine on the receiving end

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May be worth the effort, get a few and tape it to the glass in different places. The aggressive fish will see a aggressive fish(its reflection) and attack the glass until he's done feeling aggressive, allowing the new guy to find its way around the tank

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me put it this way, I have 1 4” sailfin and 2 3” yellow tangs , and when I introduced my PBT to my tank they all attempted to attack it . I gave it a day and I was going to intervene but the PBT HELD its own and didn’t stand down. It was stronger and faster than all of them . Then it stopped . What I’m saying is the PBT is one heck of a fish . I can only imagine on the receiving end
Yeah they for sure are! My regal Annabelle held her own with my PBT! I figured this guy would too based on everyone saying they were essentially shy until they became comfortable then became aggressive. I did acclimate and move him to my 70 and he is doing much better. Hiding in a cave right now cause one random chromis is being rude but seems calmer. Ill see how he does and move him when he gets bigger

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Yeah they for sure are! My regal Annabelle held her own with my PBT! I figured this guy would too based on everyone saying they were essentially shy until they became comfortable then became aggressive. I did acclimate and move him to my 70 and he is doing much better. Hiding in a cave right now cause one random chromis is being rude but seems calmer. Ill see how he does and move him when he gets bigger
Post pics of him healthy recovery in 70. Because he looked like he was on death bed in that small isolation tank . Glad to hear

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Post pics of him healthy recovery in 70. Because he looked like he was on death bed in that small isolation tank . Glad to hear
Yeah he did thats why I moved him. He still has heavy breathing right now but its getting more regular that it was. He found a little cave he is in right now, Im going to leave him be for now and observe him. No aggressive fish in there cause my maroons keep everyone in check but are really chill actually!

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also read (after he came) that Phillipeans tusks are caught in a rougher manner and thats where he is from so I hope that isnt part of whats going on with him :(

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Looking for advice…

Hey so I know PBTs are nasty. Mine was supposed to be the last fish but with the crash I had to move her in there sooner with the re start and an issue popping up in my QT tank (fixed now). I added a regal a month ago, some bullying now they are good. I released my new tusk and she went after him non stop for 5 minutes. Tore his fins up and he has a few tail strikes on his body. He is currently laying in the acclimation box as I was able to get him but cant catch my little tank terror to put her in fishy time out. How long do I keep him in the box before trying again? I dont want her to kill him and I want to keep him safe. She just really doesnt like him for some reason, Ive added other fish with her before but this was the worst Ive seen her.

Yes I know they are nasty fish, I did a ton of research on them. Im just looking for some help with this tusk. Got some videos of him and his strikes, worried about him. Had him for 2 days now. Drip acclimated him for a couple hours. @vetteguy53081 do you have any tips with getting him in the tank and minimize Flo (my PBT) attacking him non stop?

As with my tusk - very peaceful and takes a beating. Unfortuntely, PBT may never stop which was case with my last two and I had to sell and get a smaller one. This one I now have has its moments but not as bad as two previous. If this one starts its crap - I may get rid of it and settle with NO MORE PBT until I set up the 1500g
Keep Tusk in the box until it at least heals but ideal is to allow tusk to get acquainted with tank and remove PBT. Its heartbreaking I know but we all know about the behavior traits of this fish as is with Sohal and sailfin tangs.
25 tangs and im very lucky to have the overall peaceful habitants in my tank

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As with my tusk - very peaceful and takes a beating. Unfortuntely, PBT may never stop which was case with my last two and I had to sell and get a smaller one. This one I now have has its moments but not as bad as two previous. If this one starts its crap - I may get rid of it and settle with NO MORE PBT until I set up the 1500g
Keep Tusk in the box until it at least heals but ideal is to allow tusk to get acquainted with tank and remove PBT. Its heartbreaking I know but we all know about the behavior traits of this fish as is with Sohal and sailfin tangs.
25 tangs and im very lucky to have the overall peaceful habitants in my tank
ive acclimated the tusk to my 70 for the time being to let him heal. He is doing better and found a cave. And I get what youre saying about the PBT, Im just really attached to her cause shes just stunning! When he heals and gets bigger Ill catch the PBT and acclimate him to the tank and let him get comfortable. Just took me off guard cause my PBT hasnt been that bad with any editions until him!

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know, looking over your posting history of tanks crashes. Problems with your nano, miscellaneous fish sick and or dying emergency posts, etc...etc... I am guessing somewhere between 12 and 24 fish have died or been seriously injured in your care.

This is completely unacceptable and as hobbyist we have a moral duty to provide the best care we can for our aquatic friends. Otherwise government will regulate our hobby out of existence.

Now I wish you nothing but success and happiness with the hobby but would ask you to assess your performance thus far and take a step back before throwing more fish into your tanks. You need to learn the hobby better and improve your skills for longterm success
Just because you have the wallet to keep adding fish doesn't make it right especially when mixing aggressive fish with docile fish.

If you get angry with my post, nothing I can do about it but one look at all the problems you have had with your posting history tells me I have to speak up on behalf of the hobby and welfare of the livestock.

angelsandtangs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow .. I added a tusk to my 300 with an established pbt and he completely ignored him now other tangs he will challenged so I make sure they are bigger if I add any . One thing ti my advantage could be I have a loaded fowlr tang with many tangs and angels

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know, looking over your posting history of tanks crashes. Problems with your nano, miscellaneous fish sick and or dying emergency posts, etc...etc... I am guessing somewhere between 12 and 24 fish have died or been seriously injured in your care.

This is completely unacceptable and as hobbyist we have a moral duty to provide the best care we can for our aquatic friends. Otherwise government will regulate our hobby out of existence.

Now I wish you nothing but success and happiness with the hobby but would ask you to assess your performance thus far and take a step back before throwing more fish into your tanks. You need to learn the hobby better and improve your skills for longterm success
Just because you have the wallet to keep adding fish doesn't make it right especially when mixing aggressive fish with docile fish.

If you get angry with my post, nothing I can do about it but one look at all the problems you have had with your posting history tells me I have to speak up on behalf of the hobby and welfare of the livestock.
Yeah dont have that many of those but whatever, your opinion doesnt matter to me. I know I care about my fish and yeah mistakes happen and I learn from them and am completely devastated when I lose fish. KINDLY DONT COMMENT on any of my posts anymore seems how you dont know me nor are willing to help me succeed in the hobby. At least I ask for help and manage to save fish and care for their well being. Safe to say you know nothing about me and my care for my animals as I love all my fish. You have to realize fish can be finicky and stuff beyond my control does happen (like my electrical issue which has NOTHING to do with my skills in taking care of fish) considering these are ocean fish in a tank. If you really feel the need to “step in” then dont own a tank and advocate for them only being in the ocean since you clearly think that you never have had a fish die in your care. Yeah I am angry at your post because that was frankly rude, uncalled for and NOT HELPFUL when someone on here reaches out for help. R2R is supposed to be a place of learning, advice and helping each other succeed, as for you none of those things apply as Ive seen you constantly attacking people who do ask for help and issues in their comments. As I said before KINDLY never comment on my stuff again as you clearly care nothing about helping anyone else. I wont tolerate anyone coming at me the way you did for ASKING A QUESTION TO HELP FISH. Had I really not cared about the fish I wouldnt have even posted asking for help since admitting a mistake (which I always do and if you really read my posts you would know) is a hard thing to do when it results in a death of a fish. And I always take advice from people here as I know they are more experienced and can help me take care of my fish. And dont even attempt to throw in the “now I wish you nothing but success” BS to cover up what youre really trying to do, which is to undermine me and attack me for ASKING FOR HELP. Uncalled for. Had you chosen to give advice on how to “learn the hobby better” instead of attacking me and basically saying Im careless in my care of animals which to everyone who knows me is such BS then I would be open to your criticism and open to learning from you.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
ive acclimated the tusk to my 70 for the time being to let him heal. He is doing better and found a cave. And I get what youre saying about the PBT, Im just really attached to her cause shes just stunning! When he heals and gets bigger Ill catch the PBT and acclimate him to the tank and let him get comfortable. Just took me off guard cause my PBT hasnt been that bad with any editions until him!
Consider a tank for the PBT so you can have a peaceful home for other fish. A balance is often a challenge and the PBT gave you warning signs in which they often get worse in behavior before they get better.

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Consider a tank for the PBT so you can have a peaceful home for other fish. A balance is often a challenge and the PBT gave you warning signs in which they often get worse in behavior before they get better.
Like setting up a tank for just her?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back