Freaking PBT attitude…

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
She was online purchase. She was fine when I added the baby yellow tang, purple tang, regal angel and foxface after her. The issue with the tusk what the first real aggression I saw from her besides her picking a fight with my purple and losing. She knows the purple is boss tang
I see but my question was on the tusk & also if you have QT’ed him.

Also on the sources that you have read saying harlequin tusks are aggressive. Pls share what those are so ppl can take a mental note to not follow those websites

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see but my question was on the tusk & also if you have QT’ed him.

Also on the sources that you have read saying harlequin tusks are aggressive. Pls share what those are so ppl can take a mental note to not follow those websites
Oh I see sorry I thought you were taking about the PBT!

Some were pretty old r2r posts that had youtube videos with people showing them and talking about how aggressive theirs was and needing to remove them. Ill see if I can find those pages and post them. And he was pre quarantined supposedly.

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I see sorry I thought you were taking about the PBT!

Some were pretty old r2r posts that had youtube videos with people showing them and talking about how aggressive theirs was and needing to remove them. I’ll see if I can find those pages and post them. And he was pre quarantined supposedly.
Sounds good thanks. Some online stores will say anything to appease to a perception of desire. It kinda of have that tiger fish (fresh water) look with the body style and teeth & some ppl really dig that.

One thing I’ve found to really get their appetite back is to feed them live ghost shrimps. You will see his face brightened up and the aggression that we often don’t get to see in this hobby.

Idk what you do with your online purchases so you maybe doing this already. But as a word of precaution, always at least monitor them in a observation tank which you can dose some copper or not it’s entirely up to you but the pt is for them to get a chance to get used to a new environment, food, and new owner.

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds good thanks. Some online stores will say anything to appease to a perception of desire. It kinda of have that tiger fish (fresh water) look with the body style and teeth & some ppl really dig that.

One thing I’ve found to really get their appetite back is to feed them live ghost shrimps. You will see his face brightened up and the aggression that we often don’t get to see in this hobby.

Idk what you do with your online purchases so you maybe doing this already. But as a word of precaution, always at least monitor them in a observation tank which you can dose some copper or not it’s entirely up to you but the pt is for them to get a chance to get used to a new environment, food, and new owner.
I had him in my observation tank but then read a bunch of stuff about how bad copper was for them and was like oh crap I have copper in my QT and moved him, is that also not true? Seems like a lot of really conflicting info on this fish!

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For her and perhaps other " Attitude fish" who can cohabitate with each other
How big would the tank need to be for her? Can I use the sump for her and add a fish and then pull her out of the sump after the fish settles in the new home?

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had him in my observation tank but then read a bunch of stuff about how bad copper was for them and was like oh crap I have copper in my QT and moved him, is that also not true? Seems like a lot of really conflicting info on this fish!
It’s true that wrasses in general “can” be more sensitive to some meds so your attention to detail is right on. Reef safe wrasses are more sensitive to prazi and some do show sensitivity to copper but I believe those were with the harsh Cupramine and testing kits not accurate enough. IME of fish keeping and QTing over the past 17 years, fairy, flasher, and tusk wrasses have a good chance taking coppersafe or power based on the recommended dosage and duration. With that said, care must be given on the tank itself as they tend to jump and will hurt themselves if you have any top bracing or have a hardtop.

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s true that wrasses in general “can” be more sensitive to some meds so your attention to detail is right on. Reef safe wrasses are more sensitive to prazi and some do show sensitivity to copper but I believe those were with the harsh Cupramine and testing kits not accurate enough. IME of fish keeping and QTing over the past 17 years, fairy, flasher, and tusk wrasses have a good chance taking coppersafe or power based on the recommended dosage and duration. With that said, care must be given on the tank itself as they tend to jump and will hurt themselves if you have any top bracing or have a hardtop.
The QT tank had cupramine in it already thats why I moved him. Its a biocube so covered, but the dang thing keeps having different issues pop up (mechanically). I have a 10 gallon with coppersafe but it also has mechanical issues with the pump and flow valve and other stuff! Dont buy cheap tanks is what I learned.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
How big would the tank need to be for her? Can I use the sump for her and add a fish and then pull her out of the sump after the fish settles in the new home?
Wrasse are prone to ich and flukes and can tolerate przi fine. Problem is QT them in a tank that often requires sand . For the PBT - I would not recommend sump especially if it 3" or more. They can njure themselves in a limited space housing such as sump as thy are very active. 3" PBT - No less than 40b and 5" PBT - at least 65g

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wrasse are prone to ich and flukes and can tolerate przi fine. Problem is QT them in a tank that often requires sand . For the PBT - I would not recommend sump especially if it 3" or more. They can njure themselves in a limited space housing such as sump as thy are very active. 3" PBT - No less than 40b and 5" PBT - at least 65g
Gotcha, thats what I was worried about. Do tank dividers work then to help them get used to each other?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Gotcha, thats what I was worried about. Do tank dividers work then to help them get used to each other?
While they can, either they are not stable when inserted and if its egg crate, often fish are injured when they come into contact with the material. Years ago, they sold ones with a hanger to attach to top of tank which were best but I havent seen them for a while. Often they are at up to 29g size

This would be safe:

1693779723523.png

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While they can, either they are not stable when inserted and if its egg crate, often fish are injured when they come into contact with the material. Years ago, they sold ones with a hanger to attach to top of tank which were best but I havent seen them for a while. Often they are at up to 29g size

This would be safe:

1693779723523.png
Cool I think I will look into that to keep my current fish on one side of the six footer when introducing new fish. I really want to keep Flo, the tusk seems like a bad option for this tank based on what I saw. What would you recommend for the tusk? He is in my 70 now where no one is bullying him. I know he cant stay in there long term with his size. Do you think I should take him to my LFS? My plan for the 125 is a more aggressive set up and he wont fit in well

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Cool I think I will look into that to keep my current fish on one side of the six footer when introducing new fish. I really want to keep Flo, the tusk seems like a bad option for this tank based on what I saw. What would you recommend for the tusk? He is in my 70 now where no one is bullying him. I know he cant stay in there long term with his size. Do you think I should take him to my LFS? My plan for the 125 is a more aggressive set up and he wont fit in well
Tusk needs a large space with hiding areas and chunky foods (mine gets cut up shrimp, scallops, clam and LRS Chunky diet) when I downsized temporarily, there was none in my 135g until I got the 400g, then I put one in.

1693780896355.png

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tusk needs a large space with hiding areas and chunky foods (mine gets cut up shrimp, scallops, clam and LRS Chunky diet) when I downsized temporarily, there was none in my 135g until I got the 400g, then I put one in.

1693780896355.png
Okay I think Im going to give him to my LFS and re home him since I think its probably a tusk or Flo. And I really like flow, the tusk is beautiful but if he is better off with someone else than thats how it is!

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
@vetteguy53081 any tips for managing the PBT’s aggression when she gets bigger since youve had a few??
As mentioned, I had two that got so bad that I had to replace them with a smaller one. Its hard to manage aggression with a known aggressive fish .

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 89 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back