Free Evo anemone tank build

LxHowler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll start this by apologising for any spelling mistakes or bad grammar, I'm not the best at writing. This is my first build thread so sorry if it's not upto the normal standard.
So I was given a free Evo by a friend of a friend who has abandoned tank and wanted nothing to do with it anymore. I thought this would be a fun weekend project and took it off his hands with the plan of upgrading the light and making an anemone tank. This tank is also going to be done in a tight budget using mostly recycled parts.
The tank came with one yellow goby that miraculously survived in the tank and is now happily swimming around in a quarantine tank until this tank is ready again.
IMG_20201025_170848.jpg

This is what the tank looked like when I got it gone, it's full of algae and fish waste. I really can't describe the smell that was coming from this thing, it really made me gag.
I found out though that this tank had been given an upgraded return pump and a random flow generator so at one point it was cared about.
It also came with 10 kg of cycled rock that I am going to use some of the help re cycle the tank.
IMG_20201025_170229.jpg

So I've started to clean it out and scrape the algae off and the first thing that stood out to me was all of the dead snails in the bottom of the tank, it had previously been bare bottom so finding all of the dead snails and cleaning was made much easier.
IMG_20201025_171401.jpg

Found the old clean up crew. The tank was absolutely covered in slime and hard algae. I couldn't just clean it off I had to get a glass scraper to try and clean it off.
IMG_20201025_171018.jpg

I feel like the return pump shows how much care this tank had gotten recently, fortunately this didn't take too much to clean and reinstall.
IMG_20201025_174457.jpg

Finished cleaning now. I plan on adding an ugraded second chamber to the filter in the near future, I have got all of the Scape equipment ready and will be adding it all soon when I have saltwater ready. Will update soon.

OP
OP
LxHowler

LxHowler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is now cleaned and has a basic Scape in it. Not the best Scape but done with a budget and old rock.
IMG_20201025_190849.jpg

Tanks also been filled and is cycled using media and rock from before and my other tank. Hopefully the goby can go back home soon
IMG_20201025_193138.jpg

OP
OP
LxHowler

LxHowler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_20201027_172008.jpg
The tank has been running for a few days and all the tests showed the tank is cycled and running properly so the yellow goby has been reintroduced to its new old home
IMG_20201027_171959.jpg

Ignore all of the cables they still need cleaning up, but I'm actually really happy with how this tank turned out. Total cost to me has been £37. The next step is to leave it running for a few weeks before getting a clean up crew and possibly a pair of clown fish or something else to fit this small tank

OP
OP
LxHowler

LxHowler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is still going through its ugly stage, all perameters are stable just waiting it out with regular maintenance.
The goby has now been joined by a pair of tomato clowns after running for a while.
IMG_20201109_192801.jpg

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 86.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back