FREE stuff from other reefers! What did you get?

Have you ever gotten anything FREE from someone in the hobby?

• YES

Votes: 464 68.6%
  • NO

Votes: 212 31.4%

• Total voters

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was contacted by an owner of a rental house where a complete 90-gallon reef tank had been abandoned. Apparently the owner of the tank had passed away and no one in his family was interested or wanted to haul it off. All I had to do was make a 20-minute drive and pick it up - reef ready 90, cherry cabinet and hood, LED lighting, sump, skimmer, pumps, RO system, the whole 9 yards. All live rock and livestock was gone, but I didn't complain. There is balance, though. When I moved to Hawaii, I gave away a 90 and a 55.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best free item? @HotRocks said I HAD to have a golden puffer, so he bought me one. Very generous, and as it turns out, it's one of my favorite fish in my wall tank. Thanks again, Kyle! That's one heck of a gift!!

El_Guapo13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does getting bristleworms and Aiptasia from the live rock you got at an LFS count as getting something free??
Seriously though, are we talking getting free stuff from other hobbyists, or are we also including from LFS or online vendors too?

If we are including shops and vendors, then I have gotten a few free frags from WWC before. Otherwise, haven't really gotten any free items from anyone. Other than hitchhikers of course. Not that I care for alot of the hitchhikers....

italquam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of my current fishes were free from other hobbyists who either needed a fish out for bullying or too small a tank.

1. Dogface Puffer
2. Picasso Trigger
3. Bi-Color Angel
4. Flamehawk Fish
5. Sailfin Tang

My tank is currently with these fish and two Molly Miller Blennies I bought. Currently in a 110 gallon will be moving to a 180 gallon in few months

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

punkieg0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an amazing, most awesome friend some of you may know who goes by the name of @Crabs McJones who is mailing me a nice bag of chaeto for FREE and it got me thinking! This hobby is expensive enough, and I'm not complaining, but it's nice to be able to give and receive stuff at no cost! So let's talk about that today!

1. What are some items related to this hobby that you have gotten for free over the years?

2. What's the BEST FREE item you have ever been given in the hobby?

Untitled-5.jpg
i am new to the hobby..and a few months into my journey I was sent 2 Hannah checkers because I was struggling with water quality. So thankful for someone to offer that up to a newbie!

Biocuber29

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an amazing, most awesome friend some of you may know who goes by the name of @Crabs McJones who is mailing me a nice bag of chaeto for FREE and it got me thinking! This hobby is expensive enough, and I'm not complaining, but it's nice to be able to give and receive stuff at no cost! So let's talk about that today!

1. What are some items related to this hobby that you have gotten for free over the years?

2. What's the BEST FREE item you have ever been given in the hobby?

Untitled-5.jpg
Never anything in the reefing world but in the cichlids world yes, not as many people into aquariums now a days.

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jash1k

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After buying some coral frags from a local reefer, i got some free montis. I think it was bc i never had them before and she wanted me to try it out. I like them a lot and they grow well. Pocillopora is a coral i wish i didnt buy.

ReefToReptiles

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was blessed to get a innovative marine tank with everything I needed to get back into the hobby. Very greatful for the tank and it has renewed my passion for the hobby. Also very greatful for billypipes , @melevsreef , @inappropriatereefer and many other YouTubers. Also greatful for this amazing fourm for all the knowledge.

Trucker Den

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never. But I have only been reefing for less than a year. However when I was doing research and asking a ton of questions online. I got some PM’s offering to sell me gear cheap. When I looked up the items, their “cheap price” was more then retail new. So I learned quickly buyer beware.

Larry L

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those new to the hobby they may be shocked to learn there was a time frags were free. Even from stores sometimes. Piece of colony broke off in transit? Just take it...

Yes, this ^^^. It was nice to pass around frags between people who were not in it for the money. Plus sharing around meant you probably had a backup in case you lost a piece you really liked.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 42.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 42 33.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back